Author Topic: *HAPPY BROKIEDAY TO ME* Tell us about yours. The date, who you saw it withetc.  (Read 35098 times)

Offline dontinterrupt

• Jr. Ranch Hand
My first time with Brokeback Mountain was at some point in July 2014. My best friend had been nagging me to watch it for YEARS, and I kept putting it off. That day when I finally decided to put it on, I was meaning to stay up as late as I could to prepare myself for a night shift the day after. So around 1am, getting bored to death, I streamed it from some website. It didn't blow me away to say the least at first, in my defense I was pretty sleepy and there were times when I actually didn't follow what was going on (e.g. after the first tent scene when Ennis finds the slaughtered sheep I was like 'wait, did Jack kill it? wtf is going on?'). I also remember I didn't plug my laptop in and the battery died right at the apple pie in diner scene. So I rebooted it, rebuffered the movie and carried on. Then I watched Ennis get out of that post office and BANG! It struck me, right there and then. It's really difficult to describe what happened to me then, so I won't try. Somehow, despite the buzzing sound that started going off in my ears and all that, I got through to the end of the film and then when the credits finished, I just sat there staring at the blank screen, god knows how long for. And I've not been the same since.

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
Funny how we seem to occupy parallel universes.

My first time with BBM (10/17/14, to be exact) also occurred while staying up late/sleeping late before working a night shift.

All the rest of my family had gone to bed so it was just me, the laptop, and Netflix.

Suckerpunched does not even begin to describe it.
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
True that.

When I first hear about it in late summer of 2005, on NPR it was at the Toronto Film Festival. It was getting some press that seemed different from the normal reporting. I told myself I would have to remember, wirte down the name of the movie, so I could get it from netflix.

The trailer came on TV, and the music spoke to me and the visuals.....I knew this was going to be something important.

By the time I found a listing for it in an out of town newspaper at a art house cinema, the countdown began. Things were unsettled for me at that time. I needed to see this. A hundred mile round trip at a high rate of speed brought me to a movie house crowded with people. I saw people I knew, people I'd not seen in and in some cases never saw again.  When I did I invested in Jack and Ennis's relationship and I got my heart broke.

And it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Jack and Ennis changed America, and certainly other parts of the world. I am blessed to have witnessed it and all that has come after. I am blessed to see the lives changed by it, some of whom are no longer with us. It was all laid out on the table. Every damn thing that had been done to make us afraid was confronted. And survived.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
When I first hear about it in late summer of 2005, on NPR it was at the Toronto Film Festival. It was getting some press that seemed different from the normal reporting. I told myself I would have to remember, wirte down the name of the movie, so I could get it from netflix.

The trailer came on TV, and the music spoke to me and the visuals.....I knew this was going to be something important.

Oh yeah, I can understand this.

I found out about it in October when Yahoo news had a story that was headlined  "gay cowboy movie wins Golden Lion award".   I went right to that story, and there was a video of the trailer.

I knew I had to see that movie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kananaskis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Well, it's been a year for me now. Needless to say, I'm about to re-watch the movie.

Be back in two hours, or a couple of minutes after that.

Offline Kananaskis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
I love how when Ennis says that he and Alma are going to get married when he comes down off this mountain, Jack dissembles his raging curiosity mingled with a slight feeling of jealousy (yes, as far as I'm concerned J. had fancied E. from the very first) and just goes on bitchin' about Aguirre and how unfair everything is.

It's funny how, after TS1, this whole burden Jack seemed to have carried on his shoulders peters out, only to re-emerge upon Ennis's, once they are to leave the mountain.

Offline CellarDweller

Happy Brokie-versary, Wojtek!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
You are a loyal Brokie to watch the film on your Brokieversary!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

Now I need to think when I last saw the movie.

I think it was Arizona in 2016.

Offline quityou

• Don't Say Much
it's quityou here, not ashamed about the username in the 'least, although i might get a tad tired of it later on down the line...
watched brokeback mountain four days ago, 10/10/18. i've not been the same since.
oct 10, 2018 - day i watched bbm.