Author Topic: What Happened???  (Read 49045 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
What Happened???
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:55 am »

"Remember when brothas had class!! What happened?!!"
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: What Happened???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:49:26 am »
So I was sitting with my young cousin gettin my hairs did and came up with the idea of sewing the droopy jeans to the underwear so I didn't have to watch those young bucks trying to run across the street while holding their pants up. Turns out someone else already came up with the idea...

My cousin and his friends wore three piece suits when they were in high school.

My mother would not allow us to wear shorts in winter

Society becomes more and more casual over time and parents allow more and more bad behavior.

Heathen

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:40:16 am »
Remember these guys?

Or these, from the eighties?

In the fifties, when my mother was a young woman, women in trousers still created discomposure. Even with me, my parents tried to force me into dresses on Sundays. ::) :P

In the late sixties and seventies, there were the hippies; in the 80ies we had the punks; ravers in the 90ies, and so on.

Youth has always, and will always, create their own subculture. Outfits are an important part of it. And of course the outfits are meant to create discomfort, aversion and irritation among the older generation. That's the whole purpose of it, distancing themselves from their elders.

If the young wore outfits that were different, but acceptable to the older generation, it wouldn't make much sense, now would it?

Personally, I'm not keen on the low hanging pants and übercool attitude of the guys in the right picture. But this too shall pass.
Not everybody in the fifties had "class". There were 'outsiders/misfits' too. Rock 'n Roll and everything it stands for had the potential to shock the older generation back then. Or women in pants, like I already said.
And not every young person nowadays goes with their pants in their knees.

Once a trend reaches a certain mass of followers, it changes from 'cool outsider' status to mainstream, gets dampened down by fashion industry and in the end the tamed version of it gets broadly accepted in societey. Which of course makes it then useless for provocation, and the young will find another trend. ;D

Low, baggy pants, heavy tattoos and huge chains will not be the end of civilization as we know it. ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:11 am »

"Remember when brothas had class!! What happened?!!"

It wasn't just "brothas" who used to have class.  :( I remember when my mother used to dress up to go shopping. Who does that anymore?  :(

Possibly the first step on the slippery slope came when JFK made it unfashionable for men to wear hats.  ;)

Those young guys on the right have nice bodies. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:47 pm »
If these young men only knew what that look symbolized (some may know and don't care) I'm sure most would rethink their decision to wear their pants on the ground. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
If these young men only knew what that look symbolized (some may know and don't care) I'm sure most would rethink their decision to wear their pants on the ground. 

???

I don't understand how they keep them from falling all the way down. Or walk in them.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »
I gotta say that I don´t care one bit. Times change, fashions come and go. Sometimes it might be hard to understand dress codes in certain groups, but that´s because we´re not part of it. Within the group itself, it probably makes perfect sense. Clothes can mean so many different things.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
I gotta say that I don´t care one bit. Times change, fashions come and go. Sometimes it might be hard to understand dress codes in certain groups, but that´s because we´re not part of it. Within the group itself, it probably makes perfect sense.

It only bothers me to a certain point.  I guess someone from my generation can be a bit old fashioned.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »
It only bothers me to a certain point.  I guess someone from my generation can be a bit old fashioned.

I'd say someone from your generation, or mine, or Milo's, Jeff's is supposed to be bothered by it. ;D :laugh:

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »
With all due respect, I have to tell those of you who are unfamiliar with ghetto culture that what we see in the "Today" picture is FAR more than just a fashion statement, or generational rebellion. The guys are consciously emulating criminals. They are embracing criminal behavior, and a criminal mind-set. They hold the values of criminals up as ideals. They have lost touch with legitimate masculine culture, and instead have connected with the worst masculinity has to offer.

This is not just kids being kids. It is contributing to the destruction of the black community, and it should not be take lightly.

The Dream has turned into a nightmare.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.