Author Topic: What Happened???  (Read 49046 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: What Happened???
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 10:09:08 pm »
This isn't about fashion, rebellion, or generational differences. This is about a criminal culture. I think it sucks that some white people are so disconnected that they think its "cute."

It isn't. Its destroying neighborhoods.  

Just because "Swedish kids do it too" doesn't make it OK. Glorification of criminality is only the tip of the iceberg. We're talking about children who want to become criminals. They see it as a positive character trait, a position of power, and a worthy lifestyle.

What would you think if your daughter came home and said "I'm the cutest ho in Houston." Or your son declared "Dem Colombians ain't got nuffin' on me."  

Yes, ladies & gentlemen, these are direct quotes from my family members.

Do y'all get it now? Or do I need to go into more detail?  
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:23:34 pm »
Just because "Swedish kids do it too" doesn't make it OK. Glorification of criminality is only the tip of the iceberg. We're talking about children who want to become criminals. They see it as a positive character trait, a position of power, and a worthy lifestyle.

Do y'all get it now?? Or do I need to go into more detail? 

I think parental failure has a lot to do with these kids' attitudes.  If more of them had father figures to teach them what it means to be a responsible black man, we wouldn't have kids embracing such a dangerous lifestyle.  My father raised my brother to be a good husband and father.  It worked, of course.  My brother was named City of Oakland's Father of the Year twice in a row.  His 3 boys are all in college and would never be allowed out of the house with their pants on the ground.  My nephews are amazing young men who are respectful (one is a bit high strung  ;D) and they have a great fashion sense.   ;)

I don't place all the blame on these kids.  They're the products of those who raised them, in most cases.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:04 pm »
I think parental failure has a lot to do with these kids' attitudes.  If more of them had father figures to teach them what it means to be a responsible black man, we wouldn't have kids embracing such a dangerous lifestyle.  My father raised my brother to be a good husband and father.  It worked, of course.  My brother was named City of Oakland's Father of the Year twice in a row.  His 3 boys are all in college and would never be allowed out of the house with their pants on the ground.  My nephews are amazing young men who are respectful (one is a bit high strung  ;D) and they have a great fashion sense.   ;)

I don't place all the blame on these kids.  They're the products of those who raised them, in most cases.

Amen. And good for your brother. Sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to meet. You know what I'm talking about. You've seen it go both ways.

It ain't about the pants.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 10:34:29 pm »
Amen. And good for your brother. Sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to meet. You know what I'm talking about. You've seen it go both ways.

It ain't about the pants.

Thanks!  Yes, he is a good man, although he tortured my sister and I, being the oldest and all!  :laugh: 

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:25 pm »
My father would have shot my brother himself if he ever saw him trying to be a thug-pants included. My brother is not perfect but he turned out to be a decent man.
My parents were pretty no nonsense people and I guess I'm ok with that-especially after hearing my neighbors 16 year daughter repeatedly tell her to f-off and shut the f-up and get out of her f*ing face. I would be dead. D.E.A.D.

Heathen

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »
My father would have shot my brother himself if he ever saw him trying to be a thug-pants included. My brother is not perfect but he turned out to be a decent man.
My parents were pretty no nonsense people and I guess I'm ok with that-especially after hearing my neighbors 16 year daughter repeatedly tell her to f-off and shut the f-up and get out of her f*ing face. I would be dead. D.E.A.D.

I hear ya!  My brother would still have our fathers' hands around his neck if he pulled such a stunt!  Our dad has been dead for 30 years, but if my brother went out with his pants on the ground, or sassed him, or any adult for that matter,  we would still be trying to pry those bony hands from beyond the grave away from his neck!

That neighbor girl sounds like a real prize.  And sadly, there are a lot of girls like her out there.  I'll say it again: parental failure.  I wouldn't even open my mouth to say that to my mom.  Actually, I would have come away with little in my mouth but bloody gums if I addressed my mother in that fashion!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 12:36:35 am »
Did we have the same mother?

Heathen

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:04 am »
Did we have the same mother?

:laugh: They may be distant cousins! 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 01:33:13 am »
This isn't about fashion, rebellion, or generational differences. This is about a criminal culture. I think it sucks that some white people are so disconnected that they think its "cute."

It isn't. Its destroying neighborhoods.  

What would you think if your daughter came home and said "I'm the cutest ho in Houston." Or your son declared "Dem Colombians ain't got nuffin' on me."  

Yes, ladies & gentlemen, these are direct quotes from my family members.

Do y'all get it now? Or do I need to go into more detail?  
It´s not low-hanging pants that are "destroying your neighborhood", Milo.

My point with pointing out that Swedish kids wear low-riding pants too, is that low-riding pants by themselves don´t mean anything. To go after a specific item of clothes, is rather pointless and does nothing to address any real issues.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 02:09:28 am »
    I do get it.  In spite of what you may think.  However, I don't think that the gangsta attitude is because of the clothing.  I think that has
more to do with the drug use and sales.  Those kinds of things are immigrating from one city to another.  They were in Los Angeles, in the seventies.  Just starting to become a force that had to be reckoned with.  Now Portland is having close to one killing a day, that is suspected to be gang related.  I was living there at the time, and worked with a woman at the phone company whose cousin was one of the first that were shot by the gangs.  She was a beautiful black woman, and we were very good friends at work.  However as we left work one evening, her husband was picking her up.  He looked at me for a very long time, and frowned, and I saw him saying something obviously angry to her, as she got into the car.  From then on we were only casual, and she only spoke to me when it was almost compulsory.  He had obviously been very angry to see her associating with a white woman.  I didn't even ask her the problem, it was more or less, just accepted that we both understood the problem, and let it be..

I think now back on that happening, and am sorry that I was not informed enough to say something to her.  It was not too long after that, the Watts Riots happened.  I was suitably appauled, but at the same time, I did understand the reasons that brought that neighborhood to that end.  I rode the red car through that neighborhood every day, back and forth to work.  I saw the terrible poverty, and the obvious alcoholism, the whole run of problems that existed there.  It was horrid.  Yet the people I also noticed that rode the cars with me were a great mix.  Some were well off, some were bedraggled, and some were drunk.  Most were just like me.  Just going back and forth to work.  I am just saying what I saw.  I am sure it was not the entire picture that existed there.  It was just my observation from the view of a 16 yr old girl basically nieve and uneducated to those terribe issues.  i had had practically no connection to black people.  Never seen an alcoholic, or people standing on the street outside a liquor store, drinking in public.  A few, but not many.  I just saw them as people.  Beautiful babies, beautiful young women, and men.  Then others that were a bit scary to be around.  I can't apologize for the view that I had.  It was what it was.  Only uneducated.  I must say that I saw a large group of people overall.  Some were very handsomly dressed as you spoke about, but also others that were totally not.  So maybe I am admitting that I did seem to be saying it is cute to dress like hoodlums.  However I think anything but that.  I just don't think that the clothes people wear, make them criminals or non criminals.  Mob members, and dope dealers are both able to dress in the nicest of clothes.  On the other hand, the most modest of homes, without all the fancy dress, have as high a moral rate and kind wonderful people as can be found.  I can say that one of my closest  friends while living in Sacramento was the very
proof of that.  She was on welfare, dressed ok, but far from nice, like the examples in the pictures,  but she was as fine a woman, as I have ever known.  In other words, i do not believe, contrary to the addage, "clothes, make the man/woman."  Its his/her heart, thoughts, and behaviors that do that.
   In my mind, prejudice in whatever form it takes.  Anti black, anti gay, anti semite, anti hispanic or any other type, is the cause for gang behavior, or dress.  Also carrying guns, and knives to places in anticipation of using them.  That is a problem that should be checked.  It really does hurt and maim or kill.  Clothes, no matter how repugnant they may be to us in one way or another, are not really dangerous.  Simply distasteful. 

Beautiful mind