Author Topic: What Happened???  (Read 48647 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: What Happened???
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 02:50:15 am »
I think we were pretty clear that it isn't the pants themselves but the attitude that goes along with a certain style of dress. None of us are stupid enough to believe that pants are bringing down the neighborhood  ::) Criminal culture is what is bringing down the many of these communities and that was pretty clearly expressed.

And don't think for a second that low riding pants "don't mean anything". Maybe they don't where you live. Your experience is only your experience.

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 09:42:56 am »
Did we have the same mother?

My mother must have been distantly in that family tree, too. You should have seen the whuppin' I got, aged about 5 or 6, when she caught me swearing. After that a four-letter word did not cross my lips until I was in college!  ;)  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40:17 am »
I think we were pretty clear that it isn't the pants themselves but the attitude that goes along with a certain style of dress. None of us are stupid enough to believe that pants are bringing down the neighborhood  ::) Criminal culture is what is bringing down the many of these communities and that was pretty clearly expressed.

And don't think for a second that low riding pants "don't mean anything". Maybe they don't where you live. Your experience is only your experience.

Exactly. The clothes are an expression of the mind set. So it does mean something.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »
So how about the media, the system that promotes a "Thug Culture" for lack of a better description? The ones who promote an attitude to facilitate sales of their fashion wear, the bling that goes with it?

What is a community to do? What is a larger world to do?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 12:46:51 pm »
I think we were pretty clear that it isn't the pants themselves but the attitude that goes along with a certain style of dress. None of us are stupid enough to believe that pants are bringing down the neighborhood  ::) Criminal culture is what is bringing down the many of these communities and that was pretty clearly expressed.

And don't think for a second that low riding pants "don't mean anything". Maybe they don't where you live.

I´m sure low riding pants mean something to some of the people where I live, but I´m not sure what. Some people I´m sure wear them as a fashion statement, others might wear it for other reasons. But what is clear is that all people wearing low riding pants don´t do it for the same reasons. Judging people by the way they dress might be very misleading.

But if we agree that the pants themselves ain´t the problem, then why not focus on the real issues. Powerty, unemployment etc etc. These are of course very hard to solve issues, but the whole pants thing seems to be nothing more than smoke and mirrors to me.
Your experience is only your experience.
I´m not sure what you mean by that. Of course my experience is...well...mine. But it´s not anymore "only" than anyone else´s, I imagine.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »
So how about the media, the system that promotes a "Thug Culture" for lack of a better description? The ones who promote an attitude to facilitate sales of their fashion wear, the bling that goes with it?

And don't forget the music industry.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 12:58:52 pm »

Back in 1982, I went through a punk fashion phase. It lasted about 1 year. My folks stayed on my back about it until I stopped. I remember bumping into my grandmother on the train one morning. At the next stop, she stood up, told me she didn't want to be seen with me dressed that way, and got into the next car.

It is the responsibility of adults to teach children what is appropriate, and what is not. Back in the day, it didn't matter if the adult in question was family or not. Any adult had the right to criticize a child. The words "I'm going to tell your mother" would strike terror in us. The result was that we tried not to do anything that anyone would want to tell our mothers about. Or at least not get caught.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:26 pm »
But if we agree that the pants themselves ain´t the problem, then why not focus on the real issues. Powerty, unemployment etc etc. These are of course very hard to solve issues, but the whole pants thing seems to be nothing more than smoke and mirrors to me.

Maybe, but maybe not.

Just a thought--and it's only a thought, sort of wondering, with nothing whatsoever to back it up--but I do wonder whether there might not be something here comparable to how when police and government focus on so-called "quality of life" issues, like graffiti and broken windows and so forth, more serious crime also seems to decrease.

Maybe if parents absolutely refused to let their kids go out with their pants around their knees--made them dress respectably--an attitude change would follow?

I don't know. As I said, just wondering. ...

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »
Maybe, but maybe not.

Just a thought--and it's only a thought, sort of wondering, with nothing whatsoever to back it up--but I do wonder whether there might not be something here comparable to how when police and government focus on so-called "quality of life" issues, like graffiti and broken windows and so forth, more serious crime also seems to decrease.

Maybe if parents absolutely refused to let their kids go out with their pants around their knees--made them dress respectably--an attitude change would follow?

I don't know. As I said, just wondering. ...

I agree. My experience has been that neighborhoods where the residents maintain their homes, yards, and the street in general experience lower crime rates. Criminals are less likely to "crim" in a place where people care. They might just pick up the phone and dial 911, or testify against them in court.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 02:22:59 pm »
It is in Milo's post-embracing a "gangsta" culture is both dangerous-there are plenty of people out there ready to disregard the youth rebellion argument and just take things at face value-and a bit of a slap in the face IMO to my aunts and uncles who put themselves in harms way in Birmingham AL fighting for our civil rights.
Baggy pants in and of themselves is not the issue-it is the rest of what goes into "the look"

Ok, so that's why the clothes are offending; because they represent a criminal lifestyle.
That's the part I didn't get, because I didn't know what those clothes symbolize in the black community.

The rest of what you're saying I totally get.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre