Author Topic: J. Gyllenhaal Possibly to be His Own Double in Denis Villeneuve's "Enemy"  (Read 6902 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Mr G is up for a new movie by Denis Villeneuve called An Enemy, Jake will do the lead or should I say the leads. He will play two character who accidentally meet up and discover his double.

Cool!!!
Thanks, Sophia!!

(Fingers crossed!)

:D :D :D

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051649

Jake Gyllenhaal
in talks for 'Enemy'

Denis Villeneuve on board to direct indie based on novel

By Justin Kroll
Posted: Mon., Mar. 19, 2012, 2:18pm PT

Gyllenhaal

Before directing Hugh Jackman in "Prisoners," Denis Villeneuve will helm the indie "An Enemy" with Jake Gyllenhaal in negotiations to star.

Javier Gullón is penning the adaptation based on the novel "The Double" by Jose Saramago.

The story revolves around a dysfunctional history teacher who accidentally discovers his exact double on a rented DVD, seeks him out and ends up turning both of their lives upside down.

Niv Fichman of Rhombus Media will produce along with Miguel Angel Faura of Roxbury Pictures, in association with Mecanismo Films in Madrid.

Alliance Films will distribute in Canada and Pathé in the U.K. and France. Pathé will also handle international sales.

Villeneuve will likely shoot "Enemy" before "Prisoners" as Jackman is now busy filming Universal's "Les Miserables."

Gyllenhaal would play two roles in the film, described by sources as "dark and edgy."

Gyllenhaal just finished production on the gritty cop drama "End of Watch." He'd also been considering the revenge thriller "Motor City" but a deal could not be worked out and he had to pass.

The WME-repped Gyllenhaal was most recently seen in Summit's "Source Code." Open Road bows "End of Watch" on Sept. 28.

Villeneuve is repped by CAA and Claude Girard.

Contact Justin Kroll at [email protected]

Also posted in Chez Tremblay's Jake Jake Jake thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1113.msg629060/topicseen.html#msg629060
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:34:51 am by TOoP/Bruce »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
2 Jakes for the price of one-I'll buy that deal.

Heathen

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
I wonder if it is a reworking of themes from Krzysztof Kieslowski's "The Double Life of Veronique"?

Movie tag line:  "Each of us is matched somewhere in the world, by our exact double - someone who shares our thoughts and dreams."
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline oilgun

Cool, I've liked all of Villeneuve's films.

Offline oilgun

I wonder if it is a reworking of themes from Krzysztof Kieslowski's "The Double Life of Veronique"?

Movie tag line:  "Each of us is matched somewhere in the world, by our exact double - someone who shares our thoughts and dreams."

Spoiler Alert, the whole plot is outlined.

Plot summary:

Tertuliano Máximo Afonso is a divorced high school history teacher who spends his nights reading about Mesopotamian civilizations. One day, at a colleague's suggestion, Tertuliano rents a movie in which he sees a man that looks exactly like him. Tertuliano becomes obsessed with meeting the man and spends weeks discovering the actor's name. He then sends a letter to the production company, from his girlfriend's address, posing as a film student in order to be put in contact with the actor. His relationship with his girlfriend, Maria da Paz, suffers because he refuses to disclose to her his motives. After receiving his phone number and address, Tertuliano stalks his twin, António Claro, eventually calling him. Claro's wife thinks Tertuliano is her husband. When finally the two men talk, they discover their voices are exactly the same and they share identical scars and moles. Initially, António Claro dismisses Tertuliano and refuses to meet, but he later contacts him and agrees. They decide to meet at Claro's country home in a week.
Tertuliano buys a fake beard and drives out of town to meet Claro. Upon arrival, the men strip down and find that they are indeed identical, and they discover they were born on the same month, day, and year. Before Tertuliano leaves, Claro asks him to clarify one more thing: the exact time he was born. He wants to know which one of them is the original, and which is the double. Tertuliano tells him that he was born at two in the afternoon. Smugly, Claro informs Tertuliano that he was born a half hour earlier, making him the original. Tertuliano gets up to leave, telling Claro he still has one small compensation in that Claro will be the first to die, thereby making himself, the duplicate, into the original. To this, Claro responds, "Well, I hope you enjoy those thirty-one minutes of personal, absolute, and exclusive identity, because that is all you will enjoy from now on." The men agree that they have no reason to ever meet again, and Tertuliano leaves.
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_(novel)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Thanks for the additional info, Oilgun!  I think it sounds like an interesting project for Jake.  I like seeing him in edgier roles.  Before BbM, I was a great fan of "Donny Darko."
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Just saw the trailer for this today!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJuaAWrgoUY[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

I saw the film last weekend and, whoa!, it's a like a bad dream that you don't want to wake up from.  There is a sense of foreboding from the very first scene and it never lets up.  The photography is pea soup yellow and Toronto has never looked so alienating and threathening. Jake is excellent as is the ambient score.  An enigmatic arty existential thriller that is not for everyone but if you're into Cronenberg, Lynch and Polanski then run, don't walk, to see it.  I have a feeling it won't be around for too long.  Oh, and there's a spider.

PS:  They actually DON"T strip down when they meet.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

An enigmatic arty existential thriller that is not for everyone but if you're into Cronenberg, Lynch and Polanski then run, don't walk, to see it.

Sound like it's right up my alley!  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Saw it a few days ago.  Very disappointed they did not get naked and have sex with each other.   >:( ;D

However, there is lots of Jake eye candy anyways!   ;D

The story, er, could have been done better.  The ending was absolutely stupid.  LOL

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Saw it a few days ago.  Very disappointed they did not get naked and have sex with each other.   >:( ;D

However, there is lots of Jake eye candy anyways!   ;D

In order to avoid disappointment, I try very hard to avoid approaching things with too many expectations.  :)