Author Topic: Stanley Kubrick's Influence on the 2005 film "Capote"  (Read 7559 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Stanley Kubrick's Influence on the 2005 film "Capote"
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 01:09:05 pm »
I have somehow managed to never see nor read The Shining.  I will rectify this.

I did ski on Mount Hood and stay at Timberline July 4, 1995.  It was gorgeous there.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »
I have somehow managed to never see nor read The Shining.  I will rectify this.

I did ski on Mount Hood and stay at Timberline July 4, 1995.  It was gorgeous there.

There are significant differences between "The Shining" (the book), and "The Shining" (the movie).  Kubrick introduced elements into the story, and substantially altered the ending.  The creative differences between Kubrick and King were pretty acrimonious, and King was very unhappy with Kubrick's alterations.  

Years later, King went so far as to shoot his own version of "The Shining" for TV.  (It's pretty much been forgotten.)
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »
There are significant differences between "The Shining" (the book), and "The Shining" (the movie).  Kubrick introduced elements into the story, and substantially altered the ending.  The creative differences between Kubrick and King were pretty acrimonious, and King was very unhappy with Kubrick's alterations.  

Years later, King went so far as to shoot his own version of "The Shining" for TV.  (It's pretty much been forgotten.)

Interesting - thank you, Bruce.  I like Kubrick, so his film it is.  I read most of King's early novels...I thought he got tedious around The Dark Tower and I never got back to him.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:12:02 am »
Interesting - thank you, Bruce.  I like Kubrick, so his film it is.  I read most of King's early novels...I thought he got tedious around The Dark Tower and I never got back to him.

I had never read a Stephen King novel until after I had seen the movie "The Shining."  I read another four of them trying to recapture some of the sensation I had experienced seeing "The Shining."  It hadn't yet dawned on me that I had responded more to Kubrick's contributions than the story itself.  The movie "The Shining" has an interesting dimension that apparently was wasted on King -- it is a horror film that is extremely manipulative in very unconventional ways.  King felt that Kubrick didn't understand how to exploit the novels shock and suspense, but in fact Kubrick intentionally and deftly subverts most conventions of the genre, leaving the viewer feeling slightly unhinged -- particularly when the camera settles into a completely balanced and entirely symmetrical shot.  Kubrick imbues a disquieting sense of suspense into scenes that King probably only meant to exploit for shock.

Kubrick borrows and expands some elements from "Psycho" - note the repeating mirrors theme, as well as the use of bathrooms.  He also borrows elements from "Rosemary's Baby" -- note how things are framed in doorways in such a way that you almost want to tip to one side or the other to see what is really going on in the room ahead.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40