Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain: Force of Nature or Nurture?  (Read 12392 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain: Force of Nature or Nurture?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 07:39:01 pm »

Love you, Barb.

Love you, too, little darlin'.   :-*
No more beans!

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 07:27:12 pm »
First of all there was nothing in the movie that indicated that Ennis' father was either cold or distant. The only thing we know about Ennis' father was that he died when Ennis was young and the he was a "good roper".
Next, I am really tired of the argument that homosexuality is a result of "seeking some sort of bond with a male father figure..." If that was true than heterosexuality in men is a result of seeking some  sort of bond with a mother figure. We all know that isn't true. The causes for having homosexual feelings are the same causes for people having heterosexual feelings.
I am inclined towards thinking that Ennis and Jack were bisexual. However, I think it is interesting that Ennis ended his relationship with Cassie. If he was bisexual, he could have married Cassie to satisfy his heterosexual feelings and continued his affair with Jack. Not only did he end things with Cassie, but he didn't take up with any other woman. The only thing that remained in his life relating to intimate relationships was reminders of Jack.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 07:45:52 pm by mg501 »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 08:23:13 pm »
First of all there was nothing in the movie that indicated that Ennis' father was either cold or distant. The only thing we know about Ennis' father was that he died when Ennis was young and the he was a "good roper".
Next, I am really tired of the argument that homosexuality is a result of "seeking some sort of bond with a male father figure..." If that was true than heterosexuality in men is a result of seeking some  sort of bond with a mother figure. We all know that isn't true. The causes for having homosexual feelings are the same causes for people having heterosexual feelings.
I am inclined towards thinking that Ennis and Jack were bisexual. However, I think it is interesting that Ennis ended his relationship with Cassie. If he was bisexual, he could have married Cassie to satisfy his heterosexual feelings and continued his affair with Jack. Not only did he end things with Cassie, but he didn't take up with any other woman. The only thing that remained in his life relating to intimate relationships was reminders of Jack.

You're talking about arguments others have made elsewhere, right?  Because I don't see anywhere here where anyone is saying either of those things.  And I agree with you - I've heard those arguments elsewhere and don't think they hold water, either.  That's a good point about Cassie and I think it does further show that he really wasn't that interested in physically connecting with women - that he realized in some way his marriage was just for show and he had grown enough to know he didn't want to go there (and take another woman along with him).
No more beans!

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 12:20:03 am »
I think anyone who can be comfortable with their sexuality and have a sense of compassion will feel deeply for Jack and Ennis.  It's a time-tested love story, just told with a different twist.  For people who have been in love and remember those first encounters together, BBM reminds them of that energy and the passion.  What is interesting about this story, apart from the conventional Hollywood romance method, is that there is no support network for either Jack or Ennis.  No catty "best friend" role to serve as comic relief and the eye rolling encourager.  In fact, they have NO ONE at all but each other.  In fact, it almost seems they have no friends either, excepting perhaps Jack's new found Texas friend that we see very little of in the film.  It adds to the isolation which seems to be a theme of this film anyway.

Whoa, I never thought about that. I mean, I realized how lonely the two were but I completely forgot how (thankfully) void this film was of the standard best friend role. Another thing I really like about this movie!

And I always saw Jack and Ennis as best friends. It's just obvious they were. They were soul mates, lovers, and best friends. As for whether or not they're gay, that's not exactly easy for me to answer. I think they were both gay myself (although I do believe Kinsey's theories on sexuality have a lot of credibility). I mean, they certainly didn't mind having sex with women but I don't think they got any substantial thrill out of it.

And as for their first sexual encounter (you mention it as though they only have sex once, OP), I think -- if this makes any  sense -- that there was definitely emotion behind it, and they both were very (maybe subconsciously) attracted to each other but their lust for each other drove their actions. Essentially, I think they yearned for each other both physically and emotionally.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 07:35:13 pm »
bump
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming