Author Topic: BBM now in discount bin!  (Read 9361 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: BBM now in discount bin!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 12:49:12 am »
Around where I live (SF Bay Area) BBM is only discounted at Walmart.  As far as I know, it is full price at most other video stores.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 02:51:08 am »
It's still on display at my local video rental store. Discount bin? Makes me want to go buy (yet) another copy  ;D

O0

Heathen

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 06:30:08 am »

Hey, I wonder (regarding the U.S. market) if this trend of old BBM DVDs ending up in discount bins might encourage the idea of a spruced-up special edition.  I've sort of lost hope for the idea of a special edition with added bonus features... but I guess I shouldn't give up hope quite yet (that seems to be a good Brokeback kind of sentiment, hunh?)

I'd like to think that one will be produced. I don't think that it will contain all the material that some might hope for (no tent scenes cutting room floor material). However, the filmed deleted scenes would be good, and commentaries.

Karen

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 12:31:34 pm »
If I could find them for about $5 each I would buy a bunch and give them away to frineds. Anyother movie I would attempt to burn a copy, but not this one, it is sacred.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 06:10:27 am »
I agree with Katie that Wal Mart discounting the dvd is a good thing.  More people are likely to buy Brokeback Mountain just out of curiosity if nothing else and maybe some will be inspired by the movie.  I bought my dvd at Wal Mart back in April for $24.95 and I was glad to just get the dvd.  I have watched it so many times now that I have the different scenes almost memorized.  Even a great movie like Brokeback Mountain was going to be put on the discount rack sometime.  I think it is a tribute to the movie that after almost nine months there are still so many of us "Brokies" discussing this movie on the internet.

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 09:34:56 am »
Even though I own the DVD, I still find myself picking it up if I pass it in a shop, smiling to myself before putting it back on the shelf.

OMG- I do the exact same thing! Or I walk past it with a foolish grin on my face!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 09:39:24 am »
I'm very intrigued by this description "beautiful box sets."  Tell us more! 

It's a 2-DVD box set with really nice artwork, but there are no extras on it other than the extras on the US and UK version, so I told myself I am not allowed to buy it, because I already have the UK version, but I might convince myself otherwise... ;)

Oh, but it DOES contain the original trailer, which is pretty cool.

Yesterday I saw a commercial on TV promoting the BBM DVD on Dutch TV, and the funny thing is that there are almost NEVER commercials for single DVDs on TV! I was jumping up and down in our living room!!!

Offline Garry_LH

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 04:20:00 am »
You know... 'Brokeback Mountain' ending up in the bargain bin just might be a really good thing. Don't they always discount the original releases, just before they bring out the boxed collectors edition?  Or, editon's'.

Heeee... and how many other movies that came out at the same time are now on the $9.99 trash bin? Even 'Aviator' was marked down months ago. I'd say our boys did real well for themselves. Like others have said, imagine how many more folks might buy a copy now, just to find out what all the hoopla was about. And in doing so, find themselves touched to the very core of their souls, by the story of two young men who find a love so powerful, it would shape everthing about them for the rest of their lives.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:25:40 am by Garry_LH »
It could be like this, just like this... always.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 06:11:49 pm »
Stuck my head into a couple of DVD stores at the town's major shopping mall earlier today. BBM is still in the shelves in the lower half of their "Top 10 DVDs" (The local BBM DVD version was released ca. 3 months ago). So it's still not in the bargain bins over here. Which pleases me. Probably the DVD is experiencing something of the same that happened to the film in its theatrical run: Reasonable and steady interest over a lengthy period of time as word of mouth gets around.  :)

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 08:12:27 pm »
I own a widescrene copy... and I've been tempted to pick up a full screen copy.  Mainly because I've been told there's some subtle things at the bottom of the screen to look for that was trimed when it goes widescrene.
Although, I know you gain far more with widescren then you do with full (almost a third of an image) ...but it just has me curious.

I ordered the widescreen edition from amazon.com for my 20" Widescreen Monitor.   On April 4, I bought the fullscreen version at Walmart.   I love them both.   Their are subtle differences.  The most glaring that I experience is that you can see Ennis's wedding ring on the in the Motel in the Fullscreen Version.  It speaks volumns with him being pulled in two directions at once.   And his face - so poignant.  I watched the film in the theatre 5 times.  I have watched the widescreen version twice and the full screen version 3 times.   TURN ON THE SUBTITLES and get ready for a whole new depth of experience.  I want to keep this film for very special occasions; like when I am not going to be needed by anyone for a couple of days.   All of this because of a low budget movie that tugs so hard on my heartstrings and I never want this feeling to go away.   I love classic movies.   Old ones from the thirties and fourties.   Believe me, this film will one day regarded as one of the best films ever made.
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin