Author Topic: Heaven, Texas and the Cosmic Whodunit: Terrence Malick’s “The Tree of Life”  (Read 7570 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Unlike you guys, I could only view this once, on video, and I fast-forwarded thru the 45 minutes or so that was nothing but above-ground and under-water scenery.  I just didn't understand why those scenes/minutes were in there at all, even taking into account Malick's penchant for making long and eccentric/strange movies.  I still don't know what it added to the film.  Felt more like in the olden days when they used to have intermissions in the theaters.  Just went right over my head.  Of course, if it had starred Heath, I'd have gladly watched the exact same film the dozens of times that it would require for me to finally understand it.  Brad just didn't justify my time.  I did very much enjoy Jessica Chastain's performance as the wife.  She is a very chameleonlike actress, who I think and hope will continue to do great things in her acting career.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

Unlike you guys, I could only view this once, on video, and I fast-forwarded thru the 45 minutes or so that was nothing but above-ground and under-water scenery.  I just didn't understand why those scenes/minutes were in there at all, even taking into account Malick's penchant for making long and eccentric/strange movies.  I still don't know what it added to the film.  Felt more like in the olden days when they used to have intermissions in the theaters.  Just went right over my head.  Of course, if it had starred Heath, I'd have gladly watched the exact same film the dozens of times that it would require for me to finally understand it.  Brad just didn't justify my time.  I did very much enjoy Jessica Chastain's performance as the wife.  She is a very chameleonlike actress, who I think and hope will continue to do great things in her acting career.

I have to say--hmmm. Maybe video  isn't the best medium/environment/whatever to really get the full impact?

I went to see it at MoMA--an OK-but-not-great theater (believe it or not), but I think a theater is required, and the bigger the screen, the better.

I think that when you are in the right environment, you get past the "gee, what does it really mean?" thing, and then you get past the "but, where is it really going ", suddenly you just, well, let go--

It's so beautiful, you just stop thinking.

It's wonderful.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
From Belfast Telegraph:

Kurylenko: Malick is wonderful

Friday, 30 March 2012

Olga Kurylenko has revealed that she loved working with Terrence Malick

Terrence Malick is "the most wonderful creature in this world," Olga Kurylenko has said.
The French actress got to work with the Tree Of Life filmmaker on an as-yet-untitled film, which also stars Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Javier Bardem and Rachel Weisz.

"It was wonderful. I love him. I'm passionate about him. He's extremely smart, extremely deep, and profoundly kind and real. It's not a mask," she told Collider.com.

The former Bond Girl added: "He's a wonderful filmmaker, and very shy. If he were to read this, he would say, 'Why would you say this? It's not true!' He's so sweet. He thinks I'm exaggerating, but I'm not."

Olga, who learnt about her role during a car ride, likes his unconventional way of working.

"The way he works totally fit me. You never know what you're doing. It's at the last moment and very spontaneous, and I like that," she said.

"Not knowing what I'm doing is actually totally fine. It scares a lot of actors."

She added: "He likes to go for a drive and talk... and you just take it in and become that character. It gets into you. There's no acting. I wish everybody worked that way. I only want to work with him now. Not to offend others, but you just think, 'Wow, I would love to work with him again'."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/kurylenko-malick-is-wonderful-16138327.html#ixzz1qbZUgonF
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...