Author Topic: Magic Mike Trailer: Channing Tatum's Male Stripper Movie is Finally Here!  (Read 61845 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/magic-mike-trailer-channing-tatum-male-strippers.html?imw=Y

Magic Mike  Trailer:
Channing Tatum's Male Stripper Movie
 is Finally Here

By Kyle Buchanan
April 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMU7s6cwxEM&feature[/youtube]

Dim the house lights and change into something more comfortable -- onstage, if you don't mind -- because the trailer for Steven Soderbergh's highly anticipated male stripper movie Magic Mike  has finally arrived. It's The Avengers  of beefcake, and it's got Channing Tatum taking his clothes off, doing frontflips, spinning around like a whirling dervish, and generally winning every season ever broadcast of So You Think You Can Dance, Make Me a Supermodel, Teen Wolf, Grey's Anatomy,  and True Blood. That some of those shows cannot even be won matters not. All that matters is that you've got a Tatumpalooza, you've got Matthew McConaughey in the undressed role he's been preparing his whole life for, you've got glimpses of the supporting strippers like Alex Pettyfer and Joe Manganiello, and you've got some buzzkill girls who basically wander into this movie to say, "Waaah waaah, don't strip, do you really want to strip? You don't really want to strip." Shut up! They want to strip, and you should let them. America the Beautiful, or something!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:42:08 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/01/12/matt-bomer-magic-mike-photos/

'Magic Mike':
Matt Bomer on 'feeling kind of naked all the time'
-- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS

by Adam B. Vary

Like listening to Adele’s 21  and reruns of Downton Abbey,  there can never be too many updates about Steven Soderbergh’s male stripper movie Magic Mike. EW  has two new exclusive images from the film, out June 29, and when we caught up with costar Matt Bomer on the red carpet at last night’s People’s Choice Awards, we couldn’t help but ask about how he prepared, literally, to show off so much skin. Check out our interview with Bomer, along with the full image of Bomer with costars Adam Rodriguez and Channing Tatum, and an exclusive shot of Tatum and costar Alex Pettyfer, below.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: We’ve got to talk about playing a stripper in Magic Mike.
MATT BOMER: Exotic dancer. We have pride. [Smiles ]

You had to get waxed, right? Did it hurt?
Yes and yes.

Have you waxed before?
I had never been waxed before. I did have to get partially waxed. I’m not a very hairy individual to begin with, but it was painful. But more than that, the pain didn’t bother me so much, it was more the feeling of feeling kind of prepubescent again, walking around with no hair on your legs, in jeans, feeling kind of naked all the time, that was odd.

Did it grow back okay?
Actually, the regrowth process was really s—-y — itchy, uncomfortable. I have a newfound appreciation for women, between the waxing, self-tanning, the constant gym time; I have a whole new profound respect for women and what they go through.

Other than that, you enjoyed yourself?
It’s Steven Soderbergh. Yeah, we had a really good time. I know Tim [DeKay, his White Collar costar] is going to tease me about a few moments in the film. I’m looking forward to seeing just what I get teased about the most.

Also posted in The Culture Tent thread, The Kids ARE All Right: Actor Matt Bomer Comes Out, Has Partner and 3 Children:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,49728.0.html

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Ok, how about....

yet another happily married gorgeous gay celebrity shirtless ??   :o ::)

;D :laugh:

Also posted in The Culture Tent thread, The Kids ARE All Right: Actor Matt Bomer Comes Out, Has Partner and 3 Children:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,49728.0.html

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.vulture.com/2012/01/yes-steven-soderbergh-will-play-its-raining-men-in-magic-mike.html

Yes, Steven Soderbergh Will Play
'It's Raining Men' in
Magic Mike

By Jennifer Vineyard
1/19/12 at 5:00 PM

When it comes to Steven Soderbergh's upcoming male stripper epic, Magic MikeVulture has adopted a "more is more" attitude (toward everything but the film's skimpy costumes, of course). At last night's Haywire  premiere, we managed to pry a few more details from Soderbergh about what he's got planned for the soundtrack to the unclothed Channing Tatum comedy. "There's a couple of iconic songs in the movie that tend to be used in strip clubs," he told us. "You've got 'It's Raining Men,' stuff like that. That one is a given. I don't want to spoil the other ones yet. That's the only one, we're actually in the process right now of paying for the rights. These are expensive songs, and we're not a big movie, so ... " Meanwhile, Soderbergh is prepping his next movie, a suspenseful drama starring Tatum and Blake Lively that's been referred to in the press as both Bitter Pill  and The Side Effects.  "The title I want is Bitter Pill," Soderbergh said. "It's a thriller and it's hard-edged, so I think that's the better title." Would he be open to casting his Magic Mike  co-star Matthew Bomer, who told us that he wants in? "If he's got his clothes on, I'm not interested," Soderbergh joked.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/04/mmnew.html

Matt Bomer, Channing Tatum,
Adam Rodriguez, and Joe Manganiello
Takin' It Off in
Magic Mike

04/13/2012

Warner Bros. didn't want anybody to forget there's a big male stripper movie coming out in late June, so they're whetting the internet's appetite again with new stills from Magic Mike.  Above, Matt Bomer as Ken, Channing Tatum as Mike, Adam Rodroguez as Tito, and Joe Manganiello as Big Dick Richie.

A new shot of Matthew McConaughey and Tatum, and a closer look at Manganiello's stripper face, AFTER THE JUMP...

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
"Big Dick Richie"?

:laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
June 29th release date???  I can't wait that long.  :'(
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Big Dick Richie"?

:laugh:  :laugh:

There's some high-class entertainment.

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/infographic-guide-to-this-summers-movies.html

New York Magazine' s
Infographic Guide to
This Summer’s Movies

Magic Mike

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/magic-mike-review-341305?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Fnews+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories%29

Magic Mike: Film Review
Inspired by Channing Tatum's stint at 18 as a male stripper,
Steven Soderbergh's comedy-drama also stars Alex Pettyfer,
Matthew McConaughey, Cody Horn
and a host of tasty It Boys
and Girls.

The Bottom Line:
A beefcake bonanza with heart as well as muscle.

by David Rooney
10:00 PM PDT 6/24/2012

Kevin Nash, Adam Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer, and Joe Manganiello

NEW YORK – In Magic Mike,  Channing Tatum’s pre-Hollywood experience as a male stripper has inspired not only one of his better roles, but also arguably the raunchiest, funniest and most enjoyably nonjudgmental American movie about selling sex since Boogie Nights,  its obvious if considerably darker precursor. Delivering what feels like a young director’s work and not that of a guy nudging 50, Steven Soderbergh taps into the jazzy erotic energy that put him on the map more than 20 years ago with Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

Following its closing-night premiere at the Los Angeles Film Festival, the Warner release should rake in girl and gay dollars on the strength of its ample man candy alone. The script by first-time screenwriter Reid Carolin (Tatum’s producing partner) is stronger on dialogue and character than on narrative originality or emotional conflict. But as Soderbergh showed in his Ocean’s Eleven  series, the director has a terrific feel for depicting male camaraderie, and the buddy elements should give Magic Mike  inclusive appeal.

It may also be the first mainstream movie to feature a casual demonstration of a pump-operated penis enlarger (keep an eye on the left-hand margins of the widescreen frame), which should at least provide a talking point at the multiplex.

A self-described entrepreneur whose small businesses include roof tiling, car detailing and designing custom furniture from found objects, Mike (Tatum) makes his serious cash as one of the "cock-rocking kings of Tampa" in a male dance revue at ladies’ nightspot Xquisite. The fringe benefits are apparent as Mike is slyly introduced, naked and still groggy after a three-way with occasional hookup Joanna (Olivia Munn) and a girl whose name neither of them can remember.

Matthew McConaughey

Mike’s stripper guru is club owner Dallas, a gonzo showman in leather vest and tearaway pants, played by a hilariously self-parodying Matthew McConaughey. Sporting more six packs than a beer blast, Dallas’ crew includes pretty boy Ken (Matt Bomer), whose "Living Doll" routine takes its cue from his name; Tarzan (Kevin Nash), a gnarled wild man in the Mickey Rourke mold; Latin stud Tito (Adam Rodriguez); and Big Dick Richie (Joe Manganiello), whose special talent requires no explanation, though he does get a little help from the aforementioned pump.

The undisputed star attraction, however, and big brother to the troupe is Magic Mike, a role that allows Tatum to show off the slick dance moves he’s kept hidden since Step Up.

Choreographed by Alison Faulk, both the solo routines and the group numbers are a blast, embracing every cheesy male stripper stereotype from soldiers, sailors and cops to cowboys and firemen. These guys are like a heterosexual rethink of The Village People. Their routines include a fabulously hoary "It's Raining Men" number with trench coats and umbrellas, and a boot camp routine with McConaughey cranking up the crazy intensity as Uncle Sam.

Soderbergh clearly gets a kick out of flipping the gender roles of sexual objectification. The club scenes cater to male fantasies of mass female adoration, while the hoards of delirious, drunken women stuffing singles into jockstraps represent a liberating switch from the usual depictions of sleazy men leering at poledancers.

Alex Pettyfer and Channing Tatum

The primary focus of Carolin’s story is the friendship between Mike and Adam (Alex Pettyfer), a directionless 19-year-old college football-scholarship dropout he meets on a roofing crew. Mike takes Adam under his wing, shoving him onstage without warning to do his first strip, appropriately, to "Like a Virgin." Nervous but game, Adam is dubbed The Kid and proves a natural at pleasing the ladies.

Some of the funniest scenes include The Kid getting schooled in crotch-grinding moves by Dallas, glistening in a crop top and short shorts; and Adam’s awkward non-explanation when his sister Brooke (Cody Horn) discovers a box full of thongs and sex-fantasy costumes, and finds him using her razor to shave his legs. The sibling rapport is sketched with warmth and humor, as is the slow-burning attraction between Mike and Brooke. This is complicated by her protectiveness toward her loose-cannon younger brother and her skepticism about Mike’s line of work.

Tatum deftly shows that beneath all the hard partying and easy sex, there’s a longing for a real relationship in Mike, as well as a hunger to explore his creativity by focusing on his furniture designs. There’s also an encroaching fear of ending up a self-deifying nutjob like Dallas, who plans to upgrade the act with a move to big-time Miami.

Inevitably, the movie takes a sobering turn. Adam’s lack of maturity impairs his judgment, prompting him to over-indulge in druggy sex (notably with Riley Keough as a stoned Kewpie doll with a pet piglet) and split an ecstasy deal with the club deejay (Gabriel Iglesias). The entrée of Adam’s character into stripping was inspired by Tatum’s experience at 18, though the out-of-control spiral reportedly is fictional.

Joe Manganiello

While this plotline echoes countless perils-of-success movies and could easily have become a male Showgirls,  Soderbergh shrewdly avoids letting it turn lurid or campy by underplaying the melodrama. Instead, he observes droll but humanizing details, like a quick shot of Mike patiently ironing out crumpled dollar bills retrieved from his underwear. The humor is refreshingly low-key and unforced, such as having True Blood   hunk Manganiello, who’s built like Iron Man, be the delicate one of the troupe, fretting over herpes or putting his back out while giving a zaftig customer an airborne thrill.

Some of the movie’s best moments are those in which Soderbergh's nimble camera -- he shot the film under his usual cinematographer alias of Peter Andrews and edited as Mary Ann Bernard -- looks on while the guys chill backstage at Xquisite, pumping biceps, mending thongs or doing shots to get into performance mode. This dialogue often has a semi-improvised feel, with Soderbergh eavesdropping on snatches of conversation in a style reminiscent of Robert Altman.

There’s a looseness and buoyancy to the filmmaking and to the naturalistic performances that keeps the story real, and while many of the key cast members have relatively little to do, even the smallest roles add texture. Tatum’s balance of breezy confidence and nagging restlessness is just right, while Pettyfer scores as the cocky new recruit dazzled by his sudden demi-celebrity. And as the movie’s grounded voice of caution, Horn is enormously appealing. Betsy Brandt from Breaking Bad  pops up in a nice bit as a bank officer processing Mike’s loan application.

Shot on Red Digital Camera, the well-paced film goes for desaturated exteriors, as if life outside the club unfolds in a sun-blasted permanent hangover state. Music supervisor Frankie Pine’s playlist keeps the action humming. It provides propulsive enhancement to this cheeky peek at a seductive world distilled by Mike to its essence of "women, money and a good time."

Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey

Opens: June 29 (Warner Bros.)

Cast: Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Matthew McConaughey, Cody Horn, Olivia Munn, Matt Bomer, Riley Keough, Joe Manganiello, Kevin Nash, Adam Rodriguez, Gabriel Iglesias

Director: Steven Soderbergh

Screenwriter:  Reid Carolin

Production companies: Iron Horse, Extension 765

Producers: Nick Wechsler, Gregory Jacobs, Channing Tatum, Reid Carolin

Director of photography: Peter Andrews

Production designer: Howard Cummings

Costume designer: Christopher Peterson

Editor: Mary Ann Bernard