Author Topic: Magic Mike Trailer: Channing Tatum's Male Stripper Movie is Finally Here!  (Read 61864 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Saw it last night. Loved it. Seriously, not like it's BBM or anything, but it's been a long time since I've seen a movie for which I felt unqualified approval
...Visually, there's not much to complain about in this movie.  ;D

Thanks, K. I am seeing it on Bargain Tuesday. I am not expecting Great American Cinema, just some pretty boys that I like with pretty bodies and doing some pretty dance moves. I expect the $5 will be money well spent.

Heathen

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I actually cringed in my seat the actors were so bad (Matthew being the exception) and would have left the theatre

Really? I would have stayed for Matthew alone. Another character he slightly reminded me of is Heath's from Lords of Dogtown.

As he gets older, Matthew is wisely acquiring that appealing subtle hint of self-parody, a la Alec Baldwin, Jame Spader and William Shatner (who, of course, has more than a tiny hint of it). Even Tom Cruise is trying out some roles that go in that direction, which is good because, the older he gets, the more he may need it.

And yes, Jeff and Roux, the dancing is really pretty impressive.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Thanks, K. I am seeing it on Bargain Tuesday. I am not expecting Great American Cinema, just some pretty boys that I like with pretty bodies and doing some pretty dance moves. I expect the $5 will be money well spent.

Sometimes that's all you want, and ain't nuttin' wrong with that, I say.

Like The New Yorker once said of Kenneth Branagh's movie of Much Ado About Nothing, "Sometimes all you ask of Shakespeare is Denzel Washington in leather pants."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old

Like The New Yorker once said of Kenneth Branagh's movie of Much Ado About Nothing, "Sometimes all you ask of Shakespeare is Denzel Washington in leather pants."  ;D

ah, Denzel in those leather pants <smacks lips>

Heathen

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

Sometimes that's all you want, and ain't nuttin' wrong with that, I say.

Like The New Yorker once said of Kenneth Branagh's movie of Much Ado About Nothing, "Sometimes all you ask of Shakespeare is Denzel Washington in leather pants."  ;D

Good god, man, HOW could remember THAT?? At the time I was SO the Branagh fan, but my fandom came to a screeching halt with his Much Ado --I had thought it SO bad (Denzel's leather pants, with- or notwithstanding)!

;D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Mandy21

Okay, first off I will say that I am glad I saw it, after about 4 months of anticipation and being a huge fan of Matthew's and a regular-sized fan of Channing's.  It was worth the $6 morning-show admission.  However, about 15 minutes' in, I found myself waxing poetic for the level of acting brought forth in "Showgirls".  I *wished* that "Magic Mike" could have "Step(ped) Up" (one of Channing's first flicks, Jeff) its game to even *that* level.  I'm with Monika.  It was BAD acting all around, with the exception of Matthew's performance, which I don't think entailed a whole lot of acting on his part.  The only strippers of the group of six (or seven?) that I found attractive were Matthew and Channing.  The rest didn't do a thing for me, no matter how much they pumped, thrusted, and gyrated.  Others will differ with me, I'm sure.  Why attempt to introduce a plot which only served to interrupt what all the ladies (and some men, alone) came to see?  All of the dances were only snippets and teases; we never even got to hear a full song.  Channing's hip-hop moves were acrobatic and quite stellar; that boy has some serious rhythm.  I'd have paid about 10 times as much to watch just him doing his moves/dances for that hour and 50 minutes, with introduction of each song by the sexy and charming Matthew.  Now *THAT* would have put the cream in my coffee this morning, if you know what I mean.  ;)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
ah, Denzel in those leather pants <smacks lips>

The man is sex on roller skates. ...  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Really? I would have stayed for Matthew alone. Another character he slightly reminded me of is Heath's from Lords of Dogtown.
I thought he was pretty good, too, but not enough to save the movie. I saw him on Leno doing promotion for the movie and also expected to see more of him in the movie.

As he gets older, Matthew is wisely acquiring that appealing subtle hint of self-parody, a la Alec Baldwin, Jame Spader and William Shatner (who, of course, has more than a tiny hint of it). Even Tom Cruise is trying out some roles that go in that direction, which is good because, the older he gets, the more he may need it.

agreed - especially regarding Tom Cruise. He was great in Rock of Ages.

The half naked boys just didn´t do it for me - a personal preference I suppose, but I have always found striptese alone to be more funny than sexy.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
The half naked boys just didn´t do it for me - a personal preference I suppose, but I have always found striptese alone to be more funny than sexy.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm not into male strippers at all, and my liking of the movie had nothing to do with thinking they were sexy.

The scenery didn't exactly hurt my eyes, though ...  ;D