Author Topic: London Olympics - News & Views  (Read 235741 times)

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
Re: London Olympics - News & Views
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 03:02:26 pm »
Nothing impresses the Queen...not even the biggest event of the year!

I have seen this before...

Ohhh my nails.....

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
I'm not a Monarquist (by any stretch) but, she IS 86 years old. Gotta give her credit to even show up at various events.

I too noticed that she looked bored during the opening ceremonies.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 04:08:36 pm »
I thought Danny Boyle did a fab job,,, and even though I'm no Royalist all credit to old Lizzie for her apperance in the bond sequence. But Callum did come out with a cracker after the deaf kids sang god save the queen... "she canny even crack a smile the old bint"...

Loved Mr Bean too!

I also like how made a few political statements throughout the show... the whole NHS sequence was a big two fingers to the current Conservative government, and he got a lesbian kiss on tv across the world in the old UK tv clips that were interspersed in the WWW section.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:52 pm »
I'm not a Monarquist (by any stretch) but, she IS 86 years old. Gotta give her credit to even show up at various events.

I too noticed that she looked bored during the opening ceremonies.

I thought Danny Boyle did a fab job,,, and even though I'm no Royalist all credit to old Lizzie for her apperance in the bond sequence. But Callum did come out with a cracker after the deaf kids sang god save the queen... "she canny even crack a smile the old bint"...

Hadn't Callum ought to be careful, if he wants to keep his head?  ;D  ;)

She had--what?--one line, declaring the games open? She might have tried to read it with a little more enthusiasm.  :(

I heard on TV this morning that she went right off to Balmoral as soon as the ceremonies were over. This was pointed out in the context of film of Will, Kate, and Harry watching Cousin Zara compete in an equestrian event.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 08:45:58 am »
Day Five

Field Hockey
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:01 am »
Day Six

Table Tennis

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: London Olympics - News & Views - Cheating
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 04:56:02 am »
Badminton scandal is a reminder of sport’s dark thread: cheating

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/badminton-scandal-is-a-reminder-of-sports-dark-thread-cheating/article4457025/

The crowd booed and jeered the badminton athletes. The spectators could see something wasn’t right. It was clear that some of the world’s best players were trying to lose at the Olympics.

On Wednesday, officials agreed with what fans saw. Eight women – a doubles teams from China, two from South Korea and one from Indonesia – were thrown out of the London Games for violating badminton’s code of conduct, “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and play that undermined the sport.

In the long history of cheating at the Olympics, and in sports, the badminton scandal was an unusual twist. The ejected teams had, on Tuesday night in London, tried to purposefully lose matches at the end of a preliminary round to better position themselves in the playoffs for a medal. It was obvious, an ugly spectacle.

***Indefensible! I heard that the players were told to lose on purpose by their national federations. Makes no difference. whether it's the playoffs or not, it's not in the Olympic spirit to lose on purpose.***

Offline oilgun

Re: London Olympics - News & Views - Cheating
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:38 pm »
Badminton scandal is a reminder of sport’s dark thread: cheating

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/badminton-scandal-is-a-reminder-of-sports-dark-thread-cheating/article4457025/

The crowd booed and jeered the badminton athletes. The spectators could see something wasn’t right. It was clear that some of the world’s best players were trying to lose at the Olympics.

On Wednesday, officials agreed with what fans saw. Eight women – a doubles teams from China, two from South Korea and one from Indonesia – were thrown out of the London Games for violating badminton’s code of conduct, “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and play that undermined the sport.

In the long history of cheating at the Olympics, and in sports, the badminton scandal was an unusual twist. The ejected teams had, on Tuesday night in London, tried to purposefully lose matches at the end of a preliminary round to better position themselves in the playoffs for a medal. It was obvious, an ugly spectacle.

***Indefensible! I heard that the players were told to lose on purpose by their national federations. Makes no difference. whether it's the playoffs or not, it's not in the Olympic spirit to lose on purpose.***

And they aren't even Italian!  ;)  I just watched Canada vs Japan.  Japan won but it was a pretty good match.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 10:48:14 pm »
I just watched some boxing and fell in love with Great Britain's Anthony Ogogo:

Offline oilgun

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 10:52:33 pm »
Anthony Ogogo is very hot but I think Italy's Clemente Russo wins the title: