Author Topic: London Olympics - News & Views  (Read 234367 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: London Olympics - News & Views
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:05 am »
Well it wasn't pretty - Canada only got 4 shots  (1 on goal) while the French managed 25 shots (4 on goal), but in the end, in extra time of regular time, Canada put the ball in the net to win it 1-0 and capture the Bronze Medal in Women's soccer!!

Canada's 10th bronze medal (out of 15) and the first traditional team sports medal since 1936.

Still better than all the 4th places we normally get in summer Olympics.

BTW, while I was typing this, a Canadian woman wrestler won her semi-final match so Canadians can count on at least one more medal - either our fourth silver or our second gold.

I remember the Mexico Games (1968) - my first time aware of the Olympics where Canadians medaled only 5 times (an improvement on Tokyo's 1964's 4 medals and Rome's 1960's one & only medal). So 16 medals don't seem so bad.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/a-visual-history-of-canadian-olympic-summer-medals-1900-to-today/article4443388/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:13:19 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2012, 10:58:02 am »
BTW, while I was typing this, a Canadian woman wrestler won her semi-final match so Canadians can count on at least one more medal - either our fourth silver or our second gold.

Oi! I really am out of the loop. I didn't even realize they had women's wrestling.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2012, 11:05:00 am »
Oi! I really am out of the loop. I didn't even realize they had women's wrestling.  :-\

And boxing ... and judo ...

If it wasn't for our women, Canada would not medal much.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2012, 12:22:45 pm »
And boxing ... and judo ...

If it wasn't for our women, Canada would not medal much.

I'd heard of the boxing and the judo, but not the wrestling.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »
Wow!

Manteo Mitchell says he heard and felt his fibula crack during a 4x400-meter relay heat... yet he kept running for another 200m... and did his 400m in 46.1m!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/19202411
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2012, 07:40:57 am »
Day Fourteen

Football (soccer)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2012, 09:13:16 am »
Americans have taken the gold and the silver in the Decathlon.  :)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:46 am »

10M Diving today (Friday) and tomorrow--

Cool NYT motion capture/interactive:

How to Win: The High Dive

Leap 3 Stories, Impress Judges
U.S. Olympic coach Drew Johansen reveals
some secrets behind the 10-meter platform dive.

and

The Dive From Many Points of Views
See what the judges see (and what they don’t see)
in the time they have to evaluate the divers.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/08/09/sports/olympics/diving-how-to-win.htm

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »
I'm a happy camper. This evening I got to see the prelims of the men's platform diving.

Tom Daley.

David Boudia.

Matthew Mitcham.

:o  Thud!

They are all gorgeous boys. ...

;D

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2012, 10:38:34 pm »

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/sports/article/China-s-divers-1-2-in-men-s-10M-Olympic-prelims-3779349.php

China's divers 1-2 in
men's 10M Olympic prelims

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
Updated 6:25 p.m., Friday, August 10, 2012

Qui Bo of China dives during the men's 10-meter platform diving preliminaries at the Aquatics
Centre in the Olympic Park during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Friday, Aug. 10, 2012.

LONDON (AP)China is looking awfully tough to beat in the last diving event of the London Olympics.

Qui Bo led the 10-meter platform preliminaries with a nearly flawless display on Friday night, qualifying first with 563.70 points. The 19-year-old current world platform champion took the lead for good after the second of six dives in a field loaded with big names.

Qui's 21-year-old teammate, Lin Yue, finished second at 532.15, putting China in position to claim its seventh diving medal of these games.

"They're really good, but I really didn't think about the other athletes," Lin said. "I could tell it was competitive because of the noise in the venue."

Sascha Klein of Germany, the bronze medalist at last year's world championships, was third at 525.05. His teammate, Martin Wolfram, was fourth at 496.80.

The top 18 divers advanced to Saturday's semifinal, with the top 12 making the evening final.

Mexico's two divers were close behind the Germans. German Sanchez was fifth and Ivan Garcia sixth. Both of them performed the toughest dive in the world, an inward 4 1/2 somersault tuck, that carries a 4.1 degree of difficulty.

Even the Chinese didn't attempt that one.

Sanchez scored 98.40 points on it, while Garcia earned 77.90.

"Nothing is written yet," Garcia said. "Anything can happen tomorrow."

Nick McCrory of the U.S. moved on in eighth at 480.90.

"It was a consistent effort — no hits, no misses," the Olympic rookie said. "The goal was just to get through and I'll sharpen up for the semifinal."

Defending Olympic champion Matthew Mitcham, who upset the Chinese four years ago in Beijing, was inconsistent but finished ninth.

"I was overcooking a lot of things," he said. "Everybody did not dive the way I would have expected. Everyone had a scrappy prelim. They go for so long. Prelims are endurance events."

There were 32 divers doing six dives each, which stretched the session to more than three hours.

The biggest cheers were reserved for Tom Daley of Britain, who narrowly missed out on a medal in 10-meter synchro last week. He was 18th after his opening dive, then got as high as seventh before botching his fifth dive.

Daley hit the water hard on a back 2 1/2 somersault pike that earned just 39.60 points and dropped him to 16th.

"My legs were starting to get a bit shaky," he said. "I was trying to keep up my energy. The home crowd gave me an adrenaline boost."

He rebounded with 84.15 points on his last dive to move up to 15th.

"You just don't know what can happen," he said.

The other American, David Boudia, grabbed the 18th and last spot for the semifinal. He dropped from eighth to 17th on his fourth dive, a reverse 3 1/2 somersault tuck, that earned scores of 4.5 after Boudia's feet hit the water and created a huge splash.

"I don't think I scored that low in I don't know how long," he said. "I have nowhere to go but up."

Boudia recovered on his next dive to be 11th, but he scored low on his last dive and left himself on the bubble.

Scores from each round don't carry over, so every diver starts at zero.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"