Author Topic: Another Deleted scene?  (Read 17288 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: Another Deleted scene?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 01:57:24 am »
There was an alternative 'Closet' scene????  :o
Geez, I'm learning something new about this film all the time.
This is probably old news to most of you here, but I had never heard about this.
Man.... do I ever feel  behind the times  here...
It was either a different take or the scene we see extended.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Toast

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 09:26:07 pm »
RE: deleted scene.
The short story has this paragraph:

"Bumping down the washboard road Ennis passed the country cemetery fenced with sagging sheep wire, a tiny fenced square on the welling prairie, a few graves bright with plastic flowers, and didn't want to know Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain."

Seems like Ennis visited the cemetery on the grieving plain. 

I just repeatedly reviewed the DVD and the scene looks like Ennis might have walked there from the Twist house and looked back up at the window of Jack's bedroom.  The trees, landscape, bits of buildings and clouds look the same as the Twist house exterior shot.  Including this scene might have made the movie peak too early, with the shirts still in the bag.

About the director's cut:
I would be more eager to have a director's cut of the film if I knew that Ang Lee had had to bow to pressure to edit scenes, etc.  It seems he had free creative reign on the project, and he certainly has been faithful to the wrotten words.   

But boy does a big part of me want to see/hear every thing filmed for the movie.  Every frame, every sound byte, every bit of music ever considered.  Not practical, but a nice collection of stuff would get me to purchase a third DVD of Brokeback.   My fav version right now is the full screen disc.  More, more, more - please.

Toast
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:29:26 pm by Toast »

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 11:37:28 pm »
There are also these two:

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 11:42:51 pm »
The second one may be when Cassie had been "leaving word with Steve", and Steve was passing this along to Ennis.

The first one looks to be earlier in the film, but could be anything.

In any case, I think what we all mean when we clamour for deleted scenes is to at least have them as separate extra features on a new DVD, not a re-cut of the film . . .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:52:50 am by lauragigs »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 03:26:23 am »
We don't see this scene either.  This must be right when Jack leaves Aguirre's trailer (after he's told to 'get the hell out')...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 03:32:40 am »
And don't forget about the "Hippie Scene".   :o  :D 

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 05:21:50 am »
From Toast:
I just repeatedly reviewed the DVD and the scene looks like Ennis might have walked there from the Twist house and looked back up at the window of Jack's bedroom.  The trees, landscape, bits of buildings and clouds look the same as the Twist house exterior shot.  Including this scene might have made the movie peak too early, with the shirts still in the bag.

I agree it does look as if Ennis has walked from the Twist house. That he is possibly looking up at Jack's window with that forlorn look makes my heart ache even more than before for him, if that is even possible.

And it would make sense in a way that he is looking back towards Jack's window - in terms of the scenes and symbolism and in tying the emotional impact on the viewers into one continuing set of punches. But I'm hoping he's looking at something else. If he can see the window from there it means Jack could see the family plot every time he looked out his window, growing up.... What a view for the positive, cheerful Jack....  :-\

Also now I'm wondering what that blue thing or shadow in the lower right hand corner of the first picture is. It looks vaguely like it's supposed to be reminiscent of Jack's blue shirt that Ennis has in his bag, as if something in there already reflects Jack, - and I can't see what it's supposed to be.

The very fact that the family plot is so close to the house gives me pause. I'm sure it's realistic in the scene setting and all, but it nevertheless seems to reflect other cultures where keeping the ancestors and passed family members close by was required as an integral part of the religion, for them to continue to impact and have a say in the lives of the living. In a way, by refusing to let Jack go, that's what old man Twist unintentionally is doing too. By getting back at Jack in his meanspirited way, refusing to honour his son's last wish, he's also  keeping his son close for the memory of his own meanness towards his son, lasting even beyond the grave, to haunt and hower over the Twist farm in later years. Old man Twist sure can't be the superstitious type.

Concerning the other pics that have been posted here, I've got a feeling I would have my heart broken once more by that scene of jack coming out of Aguirre's office.

And I *would* have liked to see the hippie scene, especially since the script version I once saw of that scene had some double-entendre banter between Jack and Ennis - and in the midst of all the sadness it would be good to be reminded that they did have a few lighthearted moments together too.  :-*
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:23:44 am by Mikaela »

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 09:16:39 am »
And I *would* have liked to see the hippie scene, especially since the script version I once saw of that scene had some double-entendre banter between Jack and Ennis - and in the midst of all the sadness it would be good to be reminded that they did have a few lighthearted moments together too.  :-*

I've heard about the hippie scene, but I haven't seen the script of it (I only have the 2005 script in the story-to-screenplay book), what do they say?

Re another deleted scenes, I would like to see the beginning of the motel scene that's in the 2005 screenplay; it's just the shot of the motel room in the dark and "blue with cigarette smoke" and then Ennis turns on the light. It's a small thing but I guess there's never enough....

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 09:28:26 am »
Wow - an extra disc with these extra scenes, shots, etc would be just wonderful. Don't necessarily want to see the film itself changed, after all it was this version that had such a profound effect on us all. However, it's tantilising to hear about other scenes filmed that we haven't seen.

I'd love to just read the deleted 'hippy' scene, especially if there's banter between the boys. Anybody know of anywhere it might be found?

Karen

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 09:47:09 am »

Also now I'm wondering what that blue thing or shadow in the lower right hand corner of the first picture is. It looks vaguely like it's supposed to be reminiscent of Jack's blue shirt that Ennis has in his bag, as if something in there already reflects Jack, - and I can't see what it's supposed to be.

I think the blue thing is the hood to Ennis's truck.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.