Author Topic: THE NEW NORMAL: Tuesdays on NBC starting September 11, 2012  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
THE NEW NORMAL: Tuesdays on NBC starting September 11, 2012
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »

Click for the site:

Click for video:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Normal_(TV_series)

The New Normal  (TV series)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The New Normal  is an upcoming American television comedy series that is scheduled to premiere on NBC Tuesdays at 9:30/8:30c after the new comedy series Go On,  as part of the 2012–13 television season. Created by Ali Adler and Ryan Murphy (of Glee ), written by Ali Adler and Ryan Murphy. The network placed a series order in May 2012. The series premiere is scheduled for September 11, 2012.

Premise

Bryan (Andrew Rannells) and David (Justin Bartha) are a happy Los Angeles couple, with successful respective careers. The only thing missing in their relationship is a baby. They meet Goldie (Georgia King), a single Midwestern mother and waitress, who has moved to L.A. with her eight-year-old daughter Shania (Bebe Wood). Jane (Ellen Barkin), Goldie's grandmother, follows her family to the city against her grandaughter's wishes. Goldie decides to become Bryan and David's surrogate, which includes her family.

Cast

Justin Bartha as David Murray
 Andrew Rannells as Bryan Collins
 Georgia King as Goldie Clemmons
 Bebe Wood as Shania Clemmons
 NeNe Leakes as Rocky
 Ellen Barkin as Jane Forrest
 Jayson Blair as Clay Clemmons

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: THE NEW NORMAL: Tuesdays on NBC starting September 11, 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:43:47 pm »

To see the first episode, click and scroll here:

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »
Oh, shit. ...

I think I may have just got myself hooked on this show.  ::)

I forgot that NBC was broadcasting a "preview" tonight. After the Phillies game was over  ::) I turned to NBC, and there it was. I just stumbled on it. And against my better judgment I watched it.

Andrew Rannells' Bryan is the sort of gay stereotype that drives me around the bend. The character is like a way-overly caffeinated Jack McFarlan (Will and Grace). I mean, it's 2012. Can't we get past that?

But. ...

A scene of Bryan and David (Justin Bartha) in bed very unexpectedly made me want to--and almost--cry.

And Ellen Barkin is hysterically funny. I mean, she is really funny. I didn't realize Ellen Barkin could even be funny. But she sure is, here.

I guess I will have to watch the official debut tomorrow night.

While tonight's broadcast was supposed to be a "preview," it really amounted to the pilot, introducing the characters and setting up the situation. I don't know whether tomorrow night's broadcast will be the same episode or not.

Spoiler Alert:

I found it very interesting that we learn that Ellen Barkin's Jane is so opposed to her granddaughter's being the surrogate for David and Bryan, helping to create a very untraditional family, because she had accidentally discovered that her own husband was gay.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:24:36 pm »
Andrew Rannells' Bryan is the sort of gay stereotype that drives me around the bend. The character is like a way-overly caffeinated Jack McFarlan (Will and Grace). I mean, it's 2012. Can't we get past that?

We won't get part this until the general population no longer finds homosexual minstrels entertaining.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:54:27 am »
We won't get part this until the general population no longer finds homosexual minstrels entertaining.

Sure enough!

Oddly enough, this morning I woke up with a compulsion to state clearly that I'm not blaming Andrew Rannells for the way the character of Bryan is written. He's "just" an actor. I blame Ryan Murphy for this perpetuation of the "homosexual minstrel."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28:10 pm »
Oddly enough, this morning I woke up with a compulsion to state clearly that I'm not blaming Andrew Rannells for the way the character of Bryan is written. He's "just" an actor. I blame Ryan Murphy for this perpetuation of the "homosexual minstrel."

Yep. Its the actors job to realize the vision of the show's writers and directors. If they didn't want stereotypical behavior from the character it wouldn't be there. What I see here--and on CBS's "Partners"--is gaysploitation. They are clearly hoping to get in on the action that ABC created with "American Family." And I'm a little surprised at ABC. They have given us some very non-stereotypical homosexual men in the past with shows like "Desperate Housewives," "Brothers & Sisters," and "Greek." Maybe its because none of those shows were sitcoms.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:42:17 pm »
Yep. Its the actors job to realize the vision of the show's writers and directors. If they didn't want stereotypical behavior from the character it wouldn't be there. What I see here--and on CBS's "Partners"--is gaysploitation.

Good term for it!

They are clearly hoping to get in on the action that ABC created with "American Family." And I'm a little surprised at ABC. They have given us some very non-stereotypical homosexual men in the past with shows like "Desperate Housewives," "Brothers & Sisters," and "Greek." Maybe its because none of those shows were sitcoms.

Interesting thought, and you could very well be right about that.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 01:09:53 pm »

http://www.vulture.com/2012/09/andrew-rannells-on-the-new-normal.html

Andrew Rannells
on What to Expect From
the new normal

By Amanda Dobbins
Today at 12:00 PM

Andrew Rannells is not allergic to button-pushing material: Since originating the role of Elder Price in Broadway’s The Book of Mormon,  he’s slapped Allison Williams on HBO’s Girls  and stripped in the raunchy comedy Bachelorette.  Now he’s the star of NBC’s The New NormalRyan Murphy and Ali Adler’s sitcom about a pair of gay men (Rannells and Justin Bartha) having a baby through a surrogate.

You and Justin have a warm relationship on the show. Did you do anything special to develop that?
There was something very easy about falling into that relationship. I feel very fortunate, and I think he does, too. He’s not gay. I am. It could have been something that was hard to achieve.

Is that something you talked about?
No. That’s the nice part about Justin. He’s not looking for any pats on the back. So often, when straight actors play homosexuals, they get, “He’s so brave. That was such a brave decision for him to play this part. What a brave role.” And to me that seems like bullshit, because if a part is good, it’s a good part.

There’s been some concern over gay stereotypes on The New Normal.
I certainly understand. As a homosexual, having watched gays on TV be portrayed, sometimes it’s really great and sometimes it’s just a punch line. I think Ryan and [co-creator] Ali Adler are very cautious about that. And I can tell you, going forward, they’ve given me in particular some real range with this character.

Can you tell us anything about upcoming story lines?
I’m assuming there will be a child at some point.

Will you get to sing?
There will be no singing, for now, but I’m gonna keep trying. I keep pitching myself for roles on [Ryan’s] other shows. I keep coming up with ideas, like, what I could do on American Horror Story.  For Glee,  I tried to get myself in there as a sexy substitute teacher.

Speaking of Glee, your character on New Normal  has a Kurt look going on.
My wardrobe is kind of all over the map. It’s a slippery slope with these clothes. I look at [an outfit] on a hanger, and I’m like, That is asinine. I can’t believe I have to wear that.  And then I put it on, and after about an hour, I’m like, I look great!  And I can imagine myself in everyday situations in which I wear those clothes. I can wear this to The Book of Mormon  opening! It happens with every, every show I’ve been in. When I did Jersey Boys,  everything was skinny suits and skinny ties. I was dressed like I was in Mad Men.  I was like, Pull it together, Rannells.

Is there anything you just won’t wear?
They had me in a lot of cropped Thom Browne pants. But I drew the line at capris. I’m six-two, and a guy [my height] can’t win in capris.

You just played a stripper in Bachelorette.  How did you prepare?
There was one rehearsal, and it took forever to snap my pants back up. I had to stand there in front of Kirsten Dunst, Lizzy Caplan, and Isla Fisher while wardrobe folks snapped my crotch. I was like, Let’s try to minimize this experience,  so we didn’t [practice much]. But I am happy to say that every time I did it, I got them off in time.

Between The New Normal, Bachelorette,  and Girls,  you’re having a big year.
I enjoy being a part of things that are perceived as controversial. I’m sad to say, while I’m doing them, I never really think they are controversial. I don’t know what that says about me. But it always comes as a shock. I’m like, What?! People have opinions?

"Camping Out"