Author Topic: Lawful presence  (Read 5994 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Lawful presence
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »
Doncha just love stupid immigration laws.  >:(

I missed renewing my driver's license by two weeks.  Now, I cannot renew by phone or online, I HAVE to go the DMV to renew it so I can fucking vote next week.

Guess what I have to bring with me?

By visiting a Texas Driver License office, you will be required to present proof of identity, Lawful Presence, and proof of Social Security Number, pass the vision exam and pay the required fees, if your license is valid or not expired for more than two years.

What the fuck is 'proof of lawful presence'?  Birth certificate?  

I had to look it up.

To verify lawful presence for U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residences

Birth certificate that is issued by a U.S. state, territory, or the District of Columbia;
A U.S. Department of State Certification of Birth issued to U.S. citizens who are born abroad;
Naturalization or Certificate of U.S. citizenship;
Green Card; and/or
Passport with I-551 Stamp.

But we are encouraged to bring as many as possible.

So, even though we're extremely shorthanded at work, I now have to take off half a day to go to my bank and get into my safety deposit box, get all the documents to prove that I am legally here - despite the fact that my family hasn't really moved in 191 years, the US has in grown up around us - and then go to the DMV and wait however long it takes to renew my license.

Un-fucking-believable.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Lawful presence
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:42:29 pm »
I hope you have not driven in the last 2 weeks. In NZ you are fined $400 for not having your licence on you while driving. Your vehicle could be impounded for 28 days if your licence has expired plus you have no insurance if you have an accident. In other words you never let your licence expire.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:57:02 pm »
Doncha just love stupid immigration laws.  >:(

Are you sure this is related to immigration law, Della? It sounds like you or your family has not immigrated recently, so I'm thinking maybe this has to do with something else?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:42:30 pm »
I hope you have not driven in the last 2 weeks. In NZ you are fined $400 for not having your licence on you while driving. Your vehicle could be impounded for 28 days if your licence has expired plus you have no insurance if you have an accident. In other words you never let your licence expire.

Oh it's completely illegal here too.  But they have to pull you over to find out.  But I do have car insurance whether I'm currently licensed or not.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:43:43 pm »
Are you sure this is related to immigration law, Della? It sounds like you or your family has not immigrated recently, so I'm thinking maybe this has to do with something else?

It's related to Texas' fear of ILlegal immigration and thus making everyone show their papers when doing something so mundane as a renewal.