Author Topic: IMDB Top 250 (plus 53) in 2 1/2 minutes  (Read 6736 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
IMDB Top 250 (plus 53) in 2 1/2 minutes
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:34:59 am »

This is pretty fun. One reason is that, although it's one of the fastest moving of this kind of thing I've ever seen, you can often actually identify the movies as they go by, probably because he uses a lot of iconic moments. Plus, it's artier than most supercuts; the producers of the Oscars broadcast could do worse than to hire this guy.

Also, since as many of us share IMDb DNA, it's a fond look back at the (fairly predictable) tastes of our old message board brethren. I don't need to tell you what movie ISN'T in this supercut. Still, there are a lot of good ones. Just imagine a "I wish I knew how to quit you" inserted at some point.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U0x9HtYgVqA[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: IMDB Top 250 (plus 53) in 2 1/2 minutes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 01:08:42 pm »
Dizzifying!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 01:14:13 pm »
You're right, lots of fun even! :)
It's amazing how many movies you can recognize in going-by-in-a-flash-segments. Makes me want to re-watch them.

But what - our movie isn't under the top 250? :o
I'm pretty sure it was, back at the time.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 03:14:39 pm »
But what - our movie isn't under the top 250? :o
I'm pretty sure it was, back at the time.

It's not there now. I tried to find a longer list than the top 250, to see where it does rank, but as far as I could tell IMDb doesn't display movies below 250.

"The Dark Knight," if it's any consolation, is No. 8.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

For the record, No. 1, "Shawshank Redemption," probably wouldn't make my top 100, maybe not even 250. Judging from the list, the voters' demographics, as we noted back in the day, appear to be skewed young(ish), heterosexual and male. They're mostly very good movies, but only a handful have women as major characters and the vast majority would not pass the Bechdel Test.

Bechdel Test Movie List
/bech·del test/ n.
1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
2. Who talk to each other
3. About something besides a man

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:09:37 pm »
It's not there now. I tried to find a longer list than the top 250, to see where it does rank, but as far as I could tell IMDb doesn't display movies below 250.

The lowest of the 250 have ratings of 8.0 and BBM has a rating of 7.7
That way, we can estimate its distance to the top 250.

But I guess since the Oscar's 2006 we shouldn't give a flyin f**k. :laugh:

For the record, No. 1, "Shawshank Redemption," probably wouldn't make my top 100, maybe not even 250. Judging from the list, the voters' demographics, as we noted back in the day, appear to be skewed young(ish), heterosexual and male. They're mostly very good movies, but only a handful have women as major characters

I've never understood that fascination with/ praise about Shawshank. It's a good movie alright, no doubt about it. But the top leading movie of all times? Certainly not.
It would be in my top 100 though (if I were able to name 100 movies from the top of my head like this :laugh:).

and the vast majority would not pass the Bechdel Test.

Bechdel Test Movie List
/bech·del test/ n.
1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
2. Who talk to each other
3. About something besides a man

Despite its flaws, the fact that the vast majority of modern movies don't pass it is the actual shocking fact. >:(

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »
A hundred? :o I would find it difficult to write down my top 10

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 07:15:29 pm »
I have no such thing as a top 100 list. Or top 10 for that matter.

I only have a top 1 list.   8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:52:45 pm »
The lowest of the 250 have ratings of 8.0 and BBM has a rating of 7.7
That way, we can estimate its distance to the top 250.

Pretty close!

It would be in my top 100 though (if I were able to name 100 movies from the top of my head like this :laugh:).

Admittedly, I was kind of vaguely guessing when I wrote that. It's not like I went through and listed them.

Let's be more scientific. If I had seen 5 1/2 movies every year since I turned 10, I would have seen 250 movies. But chances are, I've seen many more movies than that, because for at least the past 30 years or so I would say I've averaged anywhere from one a month to one a week (plus, there was that period in 2006 where I saw a movie about twice a week, but it was always the same one  ;)).

So let's say I've seen, on average, two movies a month since I was 10. That might sound a bit high, but if you threw in movies I've seen on network TV, cable TV, VHS and DVD rentals, Netflix, etc., it's probably even higher. So let's say, conservatively, two a month. That makes over 1,000 movies in all. To be in my own personal Top 250, Shawshank would have to be better than three out of four movies I've seen. Is it? Hmmm .....

Guessing here, but I would say not quite. If I were a reviewer, I'd give Shawshank three out of four stars. So that makes it better than three out of four, right? Wrong! Because I'm not a reviewer, and I don't see all movies. Instead, I read reviews, and avoid those that sound terrible and favor those that sound good. Consequently, I wind up seeing more three- and four-star movies than I do one- and two-starrers.

I would estimate that Shawshank is better than two out of every four movies I've seen.

So it's in my top 500. Just don't ask me to name the other 499. At least not 498 of them. Or 497, if you count Memento or the movie I just saw tonight: Diana Vreeland: The Eye Must Travel (better than Shawhank, I'd say).

Despite its flaws, the fact that the vast majority of modern movies don't pass it is the actual shocking fact. >:(

I know! Even movies that seem hip and progressive and presumably feminist with strong female characters often don't pass it (500 Days of Summer, I'm looking at you). And occasionally, movies that seem retrograde or sexist slip past.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:19:13 am »
I think everyone has seen hundreds and hundreds of movies, but I find the difficulty to lie in the fact that one´s tastes changes with time. A movie that I loved when I was fifteen, might just make me go "huh?" at age 34.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:36:13 am »
I average about 4 movies per day.

Yes, that's what I said.

It's basically all I do, cause it makes me happy.

So I'd say I've seen about 20,000 movies in my life.

And Shawshank is in my Top 10.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...