The World Beyond BetterMost > The Culture Tent

Book central - let's talk about our reads

(1/8) > >>

Penthesilea:
Hi BetterMostians,

we've had some book-threads in the past, but most were for a specific purpose (ebooks, book-club, etc.). They never really took off or went dormant years ago. However, books have come up here and there, scattered in the most unexpected threads. That's a bit of a pity, since most people won't see those discussions.

How about a central book thread similar to our Movies thread: feel free to talk anything related to books you read or want to read in this thread. Recommodations, asking whether someone has read a specific book, moaning about a disappointing book, discuss books currently talked about in the media, etc.

Novels, biographies, non-fiction, sci-fi, historical, love-stories,
ebooks, paperbacks, coffee-table books,
critically acclaimed literature, amusing pasttimes and guiltiy pleasures
 - don't be shy, all genres are welcome!

No rules, just one little request: it would be great if everybody could put book-titles in bold. This way it's easy to skim through the thread and just look if a title catches your attention. Enjoy! :)

Penthesilea:
To start off, I'll copy a conversation we've had in the amazing Race thread recently:

--- Quote from: Front-Ranger on December 11, 2012, 11:50:01 pm ---Also, read The Bucolic Plague. It's a great read!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Penthesilea on December 12, 2012, 02:49:40 am ---
I've just been reading the last two pages of this thread. The show isn't shown here at all, so I don't follow the thread and thus didn't know Josh Kilmer-Purcell/maybe Beekman now (?) and his hubby are on it.

I haven't read The Bucolic Plague, but it's supposed to be good. But before you read it, read "I'm not myself these days" by Josh. Very good book. It's hilarious in places. I started out literally LOLing. I cried from laughter - and later for real. Goes from outraging hilarious to heartbreaking.
After you've read that one, you might need The Bucolic Plague for a happy ending. :)

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Kelda on December 13, 2012, 01:11:16 pm ---i already have the 2 books and 1st season region 1 dvd on my amazon wish list!

Nope not on TV here.. searched Sky - our version of TIVO - and its not on any channel at all in the UK.  :(

Chrissi - since Josh isn;t known here how did you find the book?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Penthesilea on December 13, 2012, 01:23:52 pm ---
Leslie (MaineWriter) recommended it to me. In fact, she started to read it out loud to me when we were driving home from the Alsace last year. I begged her to stop; I needed to use the restroom before she could read on, it was so funny. :laugh:

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Meryl on December 13, 2012, 03:05:00 pm ---Thanks for the tip.  I've added this to my E-reader!  8)

[   ]

A new post on Josh and Brent's website.  A must-see for the "It Gets Better" movement!

http://beekman1802.com/colin-youre-amazing/#comments

--- End quote ---

Penthesilea:
Christmas is near. Do you give away books? Wich books do you hope to get?

Jeff Wrangler:

--- Quote from: Penthesilea on December 14, 2012, 04:04:19 am ---Christmas is near. Do you give away books? Wich books do you hope to get?

--- End quote ---

I love giving books as gifts, but I find it difficult to make a gift book a surprise because it can be difficult for me to find out whether or not the intended recipient already has the book I'm thinking of giving.  ???

Meryl:
Nice thread, Chrissi.  8)

I've just started on "I'm Not Myself These Days" and am enjoying it.  It'll be fun to learn more about Josh's drag days.   ;D

I'm planning to give a friend "Dropped Names" by Frank Langella.  I finished it recently and found it very entertaining.  It's full of vignettes of celebrities now passed on who came into contact with him either briefly or for longer relationships.  It's not politically correct and has some funny and poignant moments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version