Author Topic: Book central - let's talk about our reads  (Read 15121 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Book central - let's talk about our reads
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 10:11:14 am »
Tell you what, I was really not looking forward to this seventh Longmire novel because it was used as the basis for the first episode of the second season of the TV series, and I didn't particularly like the episode (too much story to be told in too few minutes). But instead I am utterly amazed to be reading a novel that's taking place over ground I have actually trod. In the last section that I read before sleep last night, the escaped convicts took off from Deer Haven in a snowcat vehicle, crossed the bridge over West Ten Sleep Creek, and actually headed up the road we take to head up to Broke'back Summit.  :o

As I read these chapters, I'm keeping by me the topographical map that FRiend EDelmar gave us Roadtrippers back in '07. It's like I'm following Walt's footsteps on the map. The novel even mentions the Tyrell (sp?) Ranger Station that is shown on the map.  :D

There is no mention of the stuffed cougar in the rafters at Meadowlark Lodge, which FRiend Lee asked about, but perhaps that stuffed one inspired Craig Johnson to write a very live one into the plot of Hell is Empty. Funny, but it never really registered with me that there are cougars in the Big Horns. FRiend EDelmar has said the Big Horns are not in the range for the Grizzly Bear, but I never really registered that there are cougars in those mountains.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 02:41:32 pm »
Talk about deja vu. I've now started Hell is Empty, the seventh Longmire novel (and apparently the inspiration for the first episode of the second season of the TV series). Early scenes are taking place at the Meadowlark Lodge!  :o  Roadtrippers, remember?  ;D

You bet! :D

;D

No, but, interestingly enough, Hell is Empty seems to really mirror reality. Johnson copyrighted the book in 2011, so I'm guessing that was after Deer Haven, Meadowlark, and South Fork (I need to double check the "real" name of that place; I don't have that information here at home) all came under the same management as Lodges of the Big Horns--and in the novel they are all operated by the same people.  :)

BTW, what with the references to West Ten Sleep Creek, there are scenes in The Cold Dish in which I can visualize the parking lot at Deer Haven. The way Craig Johnson knows his Big Horns, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's been up to Broke'back Summit at least once.

ETA:

In the last chapter I read before sleep last night, Sheriff Longmire is chasing an escaped psychopathic serial killer around Deer Haven Lodge, which is closed for renovations--ya think maybe because snow caused the roof to collapse?  ;D

:o Wow, I'll love to read this (whenever I'll get to it).

In the last section that I read before sleep last night, the escaped convicts took off from Deer Haven in a snowcat vehicle, crossed the bridge over West Ten Sleep Creek, and actually headed up the road we take to head up to Broke'back Summit.  

Brokenback summit is mentioned? Or the road up to it described?
One way or the other, it's stunning for us Brokies, especially the ones who have been there.

I've started the first Longmire novel more than two weeks ago. Liked it well enough, but wasn't enthusiastic yet. The pace is pretty slow in the beginning (I read maybe the first 20%), and I hope it'll pick up a bit. In one review I read, they said it would.

Now here comes the unusal - for me - thing: I haven't read a single page of any book in over two weeks. Can't remember the last time that happened. Oh yeah, I can: in the early days of Brokeback Fever, when I did practically nothing else but be on the forum(s).
Anyway, since our exchange student arrived, I simply didn't get around to read. Who would have thought...
But next week I'll be in Turkey and have plenty of time to read. :) Catching up with Longmire then.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 04:18:47 pm »
Brokenback summit is mentioned? Or the road up to it described?
One way or the other, it's stunning for us Brokies, especially the ones who have been there.

Not so far as I've read. He just describes the escaped convicts as turning left out of the Deer Haven parking lot, crossing the bridge over the creek, and heading up the road. That's the way to Brokenback Summit.  :)

Yes, it really is stunning to me since I've actually been there.

I also double checked this afternoon, and Meadowlark, Deer Haven, and South Fork Lodge are indeed all operated by the same outfit, and it's the same way in the novel.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »
Here's a quotation from Hell is Empty that will ring a bell with some folks:  8)

"It was about a mile up to the Battle Park cutoff, where I assumed they'd turn west and try for the Hyattville Road that led toward the tiny town. ..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 07:35:34 pm »
Here's a quotation from Hell is Empty that will ring a bell with some folks:  8)

"It was about a mile up to the Battle Park cutoff, where I assumed they'd turn west and try for the Hyattville Road that led toward the tiny town. ..."

Oh yes, I've been to Battle Park, where they say there was a battle during Indian times, and I know of the junction with the road that leads to Hyattville.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »
Oh yes, I've been to Battle Park, where they say there was a battle during Indian times, and I know of the junction with the road that leads to Hyattville.

Well, I'm pretty sure that all of us who have been up to Brokenback Summit have been through that cutoff and made the turn. The escaped convicts in the novel didn't, however. They continued ahead on the road that heads toward the Tyrell Ranger Station.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 12:03:01 pm »
Interesting to hear that our friend Dana, (remember his dog Shadow?) has a brother who's a real-life Longmire, the sheriff of Sublette County. He was recently thanked by Colorado Senator Mark Udall for helping to rescue the body of his brother, Randy, who was hiking in that area when he died.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »
Interesting to hear that our friend Dana, (remember his dog Shadow?) has a brother who's a real-life Longmire, the sheriff of Sublette County. He was recently thanked by Colorado Senator Mark Udall for helping to rescue the body of his brother, Randy, who was hiking in that area when he died.

Wow!

I read that Udall still had his hiking poles in his hands when they found him. Talk about dying while you're doing something you love.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 05:42:46 pm »
I think this is the area that Annie Proulx wrote about in her book Red Desert.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 08:36:11 pm »
I think this is the area that Annie Proulx wrote about in her book Red Desert.

Sublette County? I don't know. I haven't read her book, but my AAA road map of Wyoming places the Red Desert in Sweetwater County, between Rawlins and Rock Springs. Sublette County is northwest of Sweetwater County and southwest of Riverton and Lander.