Author Topic: Book central - let's talk about our reads  (Read 15117 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Book central - let's talk about our reads
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 11:20:41 am »
Apparently, features of the Northern Red Desert are located in Sublette County, such as Farson, Eden and the Jack Morrow Hills. Red Desert is divided into three sub-areas: the Northern Red Desert, which people are trying to designate as a National Conservation Area, Adobe Town to the south and the Big Sandy area to the west. Conservation groups want all three areas protected from future oil and gas development, and that would leave the majority of the six million acres of the Desert free to developers. The northern Red Desert contains features such as the Pony Express, Oregon, California, Mormon, Outlaw, and Indian Gap Trails, artifacts, petroglyphs, badlands, rock formations, sand dunes, historical sites, 350 different species of wildlife, and hunting grounds.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 11:23:29 am »
I just returned from Estes Park, site of our 2007 Brokeback BBQ, where the local library is screening the Longmire series during the summer, and Craig Johnson is scheduled to make an appearance on September 29.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »
Apparently, features of the Northern Red Desert are located in Sublette County, such as Farson, Eden and the Jack Morrow Hills. Red Desert is divided into three sub-areas: the Northern Red Desert, which people are trying to designate as a National Conservation Area, Adobe Town to the south and the Big Sandy area to the west. Conservation groups want all three areas protected from future oil and gas development, and that would leave the majority of the six million acres of the Desert free to developers. The northern Red Desert contains features such as the Pony Express, Oregon, California, Mormon, Outlaw, and Indian Gap Trails, artifacts, petroglyphs, badlands, rock formations, sand dunes, historical sites, 350 different species of wildlife, and hunting grounds.

That's interesting to know. Thanks, FRiend!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:33 pm »
I just returned from Estes Park, site of our 2007 Brokeback BBQ, where the local library is screening the Longmire series during the summer.

First season or the current one?

Craig Johnson is scheduled to make an appearance on September 29.

Hmm. Michaelmas, not that that has anything to do with his writing or appearance.

If he does any speaking, he may well be very funny. I've never seen so much humor in a murder mystery as I've seen in some of his Longmire books. I had to put down the first chapter of Junkyard Dogs because I was laughing so hard. Some of the blog entries on his web site ("Post-its") are very funny, too.

Back in June, he was at a bookstore out in West Chester, but since I had no way to get there, it might as well have been the moon.  :( He was at the Tattered Cover in LoDo the last week in June; I threatened OCD that I was coming out to see him, but of course I was just kidding.

A week ago I actually wrote Johnson a fan letter. I am now also the proud possessor of an official Absorka County sheriff's department baseball cap, and also a souvenir cap from the Red Pony Bar and Grill (and "continual soiree").
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »
Interesting article: a schoolgirl wrote to 150 authors to ask them if they put symbolism in their work. Read their replies. Unfortunately, Annie was not included.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30937/famous-novelists-symbolism-their-work-and-whether-it-was-intentional

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2023, 02:25:11 pm »
Has anyone read this new book that has a same-sex storyline? It looks good.

The World and All That it Holds:
https://artsfuse.org/268265/book-review-the-world-and-all-that-it-holds-a-remarkable-achievement/