Author Topic: OUT: Matt Damon almost did Brokeback Mountain with Joaquin Phoenix--  (Read 16339 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: OUT: Matt Damon almost did Brokeback Mountain with Joaquin Phoenix--
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 08:17:48 am »
I can't picture Matt in Brokeback, but it's always interesting to hear who was up for various roles.

I remember Mark Walberg was also up for the part of Ennis.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:22:44 pm »
I can picture Matt but not Joaquin. I can't imagine that i would have fell so head over heels in love with those two however.

Heathen

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 07:48:03 am »
I can picture Matt but not Joaquin. I can't imagine that i would have fell so head over heels in love with those two however.

I would have to agree with you on that one, I really haven't liked either of them in anything they did.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 07:54:55 am »
I think Joaquin is pretty good in everything he does, but even so....it would have been an entire movie altogether.
What they ended up with was perfection - why mess with that?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 10:27:05 am »
Ditto to what most people have said. I think Matt Damon is a great actor and Joaquin is good, too. And I like Gus Van Sant. If they'd all done it, it probably would have been a fine film. But I bet the Brokie community, if it existed at all, would have far fewer members. The actual real-life film is magic in so many ways.

the fact that Anderson Cooper and Ellen DeGeneres can come out so beautifully and powerfully, and it’s a big fucking deal that it turns out nobody gives a shit.

I agree with his overall sentiment here, but it's an odd pairing. When Ellen came out, it made the cover of Time magazine with a "Yep, I'm gay" cover, ultimately changed the course of her comedy show and entire career. When Anderson came out, it was via an offhand remark in an interview and then everyone moved on. What a difference [however many years it was] makes.

I'm sure he probably meant that nobody gives a shit about either at this point, and I agree, they don't seem to -- both are beloved and successful -- and that's great.

Still waiting for a "leading man" or "leading lady" type to come out, though. No doubt movie stars who play straight romantic roles are scared that it would hurt their careers, and their caution is understandable. Even Jodie Foster, who never plays romantic roles these days, has been hedgy.

The mainstream public has grown up a lot in the past 10 years or so. Maybe people are ready for that next step.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 11:03:03 am »

Still waiting for a "leading man" or "leading lady" type to come out, though. No doubt movie stars who play straight romantic roles are scared that it would hurt their careers, and their caution is understandable. Even Jodie Foster, who never plays romantic roles these days, has been hedgy.

The mainstream public has grown up a lot in the past 10 years or so. Maybe people are ready for that next step.

What about Richard Chamberlain? He was outed in 1989 and came out in 2003 through his autobiography. He has continued to appear in television and on Broadway.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 07:39:09 pm »
Ditto to what most people have said. I think Matt Damon is a great actor and Joaquin is good, too. And I like Gus Van Sant. If they'd all done it, it probably would have been a fine film. But I bet the Brokie community, if it existed at all, would have far fewer members. The actual real-life film is magic in so many ways.

I agree with his overall sentiment here, but it's an odd pairing. When Ellen came out, it made the cover of Time magazine with a "Yep, I'm gay" cover, ultimately changed the course of her comedy show and entire career. When Anderson came out, it was via an offhand remark in an interview and then everyone moved on. What a difference [however many years it was] makes.

I'm sure he probably meant that nobody gives a shit about either at this point, and I agree, they don't seem to -- both are beloved and successful -- and that's great.

Also, look at the double standard in sports:

Two professional baskeball players come: one makes the front page of all newspapers,  the other just elicits shrugs.  Men in sports can't be gay and women in sports are assumed to be gay.  It's not surprising really.