Author Topic: Celebrating SIX MONTHS (and 11 days) on BetterMost! The POLL-ish thread  (Read 2672 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Okay, Tremblayans, we've officially been here 6 months and 11 days; it's time to get this celebration on the road (kudos to Front-Ranger for starting us off last week)!!

This is the first of several threads that we're firing up to us help commemorate and celebrate our time together here on Bettermost since March 30th, and our time as a whole since January 29th when the Pierre Tremblay board began on IMDb.

After much hemming and hawing (but no hee-haawing), I've elected to make this an "answer-for-yourself-thread"  rather than a "real" poll, since there are too many posts/lines to choose from for several of these questions. Of course if you want to make it a real poll, you can spend some time nominating threads/moments/lines, etc. to be included in for voting on in a few days. I just assumed that people would want to post their answers, and that there would be too many different opinions to make a "real" poll manageable.

So, let your minds wander back over the months as you peruse these questions, and then give it your best shot, as Jack would do!

1) What are your top 3 favorite threads on Chez Tremblay (including the IMDb days on Pierre Tremblay)?

2) What three lines do you love to pull out and quote whenever the chance presents itself?

3) Describe 3 of your favorite/most memorable times here on Chez Tremblay (Bettermost or IMDb).

4) Name the most important 3 things that you have learned here at CT Bettermost/IMDb PT.

5) Make your best guess as to the Tremblayan/BetterMostian with the most BBM theater viewings.

6) Who would you rather meet and talk with: Jake, Heath, Jack, or Ennis?

7) What BBM quote (movie or story) best celebrates our 6 month anniversary at Bettermost?

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Celebrating SIX MONTHS (and 11 days) on BetterMost! The POLL-ish thread
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:59:40 am »
Nice Jenny!  And JennyC, I know you had a hand in this too. :)

1) What are your top 3 favorite threads on Chez Tremblay (including the IMDb days on Pierre Tremblay)?  I know it's the olden days, but the Cowboy Etiquette thread, the scenes from BBM done in emoticons, and maybe the bucket thread (and ones like it) from our current home.

2) What three lines do you love to pull out and quote whenever the chance presents itself?  Tonight I've already said, "You're a real thinker there."  I also love to say "Tell you what..." and the ever-useful "Hunh."

3) Describe 3 of your favorite/most memorable times here on Chez Tremblay (Bettermost or IMDb).  Most recently, the Anniversary celebration chat where we strolled down memory lane, and even had guests of honor.  Also the emoticon scenes phase back in the Old Country.  And the early days of the PT thread.

4) Name the most important 3 things that you have learned here at CT Bettermost/IMDb PT.  That I'm not the only one.  That people can be even more wonderful than you can imagine.  That sometimes people misrepresent.

5) Make your best guess as to the Tremblayan/BetterMostian with the most BBM theater viewings.  Eric (sfericsf)?

6) Who would you rather meet and talk with: Jake, Heath, Jack, or Ennis?  I would probably be most comfortable with Jake.  It would be easy to have a great conversation.  But I would rather moon over Ennis.

7) What BBM quote (movie or story) best celebrates our 6 month anniversary at Bettermost?  My time with you all has been paw the white out of the moon.  But for right now (tired, at the end of a big day), I pick, "They were no longer young men with all of it before them."

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:34:05 am »
Great answers Elle--and love the purple ink. I'll be following later on today/night. I love your quotes for our celebration. One suggestion for others, to make it more readable, perhaps list your answers in a list format like this:
choice one and any accompanying explanation
choice two
choice three

Not mandatory of course. Keep 'em coming, that's more important!

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 03:31:02 pm »
Okay, here we go (excuse my longish first answer...)!  :)

1) What are your top 3 favorite threads on Chez Tremblay (including the IMDb days on Pierre Tremblay)?

First of all, I have to admit, I'm a latecomer. When the movie started in Germany on March 9th, that was already after the Oscar debacle and after the massive troll invasion on IMDB. Nevertheless (with about 200 people on "ignore"), I enjoyed the intelligent and funny conversations going on there immensely and never felt the need to post elsewhere. When I learned about the Pierre Tremblay board, the mass exodus from there had already started. One nice day in April, finally, I signed up here. I knew about BetterMost from Victoria, and then Mill kinda pulled me over…

Okay, my three favourite threads!

Well… I have to say, I always enjoyed the funny ones the most (who'd have guessed?). ;D
Of course, I have to mention the "Lines from BBM visualized" thread first, the idea for which I had during a day out with the family. I remember that I couldn't help laughing at the mere thought of it while we walked through an animal park. When I came back home, I wrote a pm to Milli, telling her: "I've got a great idea for a new thread!" What made it special and so much fun was probably the mere possibility of posting pictures in connection with Brokeback Mountain – something we couldn't do on IMDB.
I guess we have used up all the lines of the movie many times by now, but I still love that thread. It has certainly kept me busy for a long time.

…until it got replaced by a new favourite: "The Performance" thread by Ray. From the day Ray ( :-*) started it, much of my energy was channeled towards the crazy happenings on Broken Arsed Mountain. I don't know where we will be going with it now, and where that story will end. Fact is: I had a hell of a good time with it plus the opportunity to discover another virtue of BetterMost: the possibility to post audiofiles on threads! Everybody who contributed on the PT thread and still contributes: thank you so much for the fun and the uncountable laughs you inspired!

Third favourite thread? This one goes equally tho the "Brokeback Mountain Limericks" and (in remembrance of the good old times) to John Gallagher’s "Cowboy Etiquette" thread. Thanks for the wonderful humour and wit everybody! 

2) What three lines do you love to pull out and quote whenever the chance presents itself?

If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it. 
It ain't right! 
Sure enough...

3) Describe 3 of your favorite/most memorable times here on Chez Tremblay (Bettermost or IMDb).

Postingwise, the times I enjoyed most were probably the ones when my favourite threads (as mentioned above) were still pretty but rapidly growing babies. It's just fun to see something develop.

Socially, I, of course, have to mention the opportunities to meet other Brokies! Last fall, I would never have thought that I'd fly to New York and London this year to meet people I only knew from the Internet. Great experiences! Expensive ones, too… 

Also very (very!!) important: all the very good friends and wonderful people I didn't meet face to face (yet), but became close with on here. Gotta love you folks!

4) Name the most important 3 things that you have learned here at CT Bettermost/IMDb PT.

* There's never enough time, never enough.
* What ever I want to express, somebody has always better or more beautiful words. 
* I've also learned a lot of slang words that now nicely supplement my school English.
  ;)

5) Make your best guess as to the Tremblayan/BetterMostian with the most BBM theater viewings.

Wow. I honestly have no idea. It certainly wasn't me.

No joke: neither of them. I love to see Jack and Ennis on dvd but don't feel the need to meet them. As with Jake and Heath: it's enough for me to follow their careers from afar.

7) What BBM quote (movie or story) best celebrates our 6 month anniversary at Bettermost?

This ain't no little thing that's happening here!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 03:33:02 pm by Pipedream »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:38:41 am »
Cowboy Ettiqutte is my fave. The others too many to mention.

Yee-haw!
I swear.
Aint no reins

I think I’ve covered these in other posts. Meeting friends, attacking trolls, laughing my a$$ off at great threads. And those serious discussions where you can pour your heart out.

Life is not all about you.
Help where you can and do you best to be a friend and helper– but don’t let other people’s problems swallow you up and get you down.
Small things you do can touch people in a big way.
I have small problems compared to others – stop being so worried about them.

Ooh – now I’d guess at David (in Hartford) he can’t resist jake.

Jake – without a doubt. I’d probably swoon and faint though but since he’s such a good citizen I’m sure he does first aid and could revive me.

Aint no reins on this one.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 02:19:36 pm »
I'm going to have to take this in chunks! First I'll answer #1 and #7:

#1: My favorite threads:

Just limit it to three? Impossible! Here are a few:
Ode to the first and second tent scene, by atz75 (Amanda):
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2736.0
. by Ray
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1935.0
Getting hard hit by offhand revelations, by nakymaton (Mel)
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4253.0

Some of these may be on the Open Forum instead of CT, I trust that's all right.
I also love the "Versimillitude" thread and the one that compares Brokeback Mountain to Hictchcock films (but I couldn't find the link to them).

#7: Phrase that describes our celebration:
"That's high-class entertainment, if you ask me!"

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Happy Ninth Brokeback
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:47:02 pm »
The New Yorker Magazine

Just a note to remind everyone that it was on October 13, 1997
NINE YEARS AGO
that Annie Proulx saw the publication of
Brokeback Mountain
in this edition of The New Yorker Magazine.

since then it has appeared in their magazine as
a movie review,
a spoken word recording by Suzy Amis
and grist for their cartoons

What if I dont want to be Jack or Ennis.

Thank You Annie and The  New Yorker
for getting Brokeback off to a start.