Author Topic: "Catfish" (fake internet identities)  (Read 8598 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
"Catfish" (fake internet identities)
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:58:12 am »
In connection with the "Manti Te’o’s fake dead girlfriend" story, here's a list from Slate of longform stories in various magazines (i.e. Wired, the New Yorker) about other "catfish." That, apparently, is internetese for a fake identity that interacts with others on social media.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/longform/2013/01/manti_te_o_and_other_internet_hoaxes_a_longform_collection.html

And for anyone wondering about the origins of "catfish," Slate once again comes through:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/01/18/catfish_meaning_and_definition_term_for_online_hoaxes_has_a_surprisingly.html

Not including the first half of the last story explaining the term, I haven't read any of these stories (including, not closely at least, the Manti Te'o one), but I believe I've had some catfishy experiences in my time using social media. How about you guys?

In any case, I am glad to know the term (the movie Catfish was pretty good, too, fyi). It's even more fun than "sock puppet" -- and I know for sure I have met at least one of those.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: "Catfish" (fake internet identities)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:53:03 pm »
My sister was telling me the story behind the Catfish TV show when she was up for holidays and I was just listening with one ear, thinking to myself, "How stupid.  The internet has been around how long now?  And people STILL believe what people on the other end of the computer tell them, sight unseen?  What idiots."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:10:43 pm »
How on earth can you consider someone your "girlfriend" when you've never even met her face to face?  Not even a video chat? ???

If this should in fact turn out to be true (which I think is unlikely), then I guess anyone can get into Notre Dame, as long as you're a great football player.  8)

Not unsurprisingly, I'm seeing a lot of speculation that Manti Te'o is gay and the whole "girlfriend" business was something of an Internet "beard."  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:49:25 pm »
What? Do you want to tell me your name is not really Serious Crayons? And Della's not Della? And Jeff is not a jeep? And me? Am I not the one and only queen of the Amazons? - I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! :o ;D :laugh:
(Sorry, I know it's not the same, but I just couldn't help it)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:22:56 pm »
What? Do you want to tell me your name is not really Serious Crayons? And Della's not Della? And Jeff is not a jeep? And me? Am I not the one and only queen of the Amazons? - I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! :o ;D :laugh:
(Sorry, I know it's not the same, but I just couldn't help it)

I know you're joking, but I have met at least one Brokie, possibly two, who I either know or suspect in RL did not at all resemble the identity they presented for themselves.

Usernames are a little different. Among the people who almost always go by their usernames, even if I know their real names I tend to think of them by their usernames. By any other name, they smell a sweet.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:32:57 pm »
And Jeff is not a jeep?

Of course not! I'm a pair of pants!  >:(  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:00 pm »
Of course not! I'm a pair of pants!  >:(  ;D

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:53:17 am »
At least y'all know I'm real.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:38:09 pm »
At least y'all know I'm real.

Yes, I've always been impressed by your willingness to be open about your RL identity.  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 01:53:01 pm »
Yes, I've always been impressed by your willingness to be open about your RL identity.  :)

And I'm still wondering about a mutual "friend" of ours -- you know who I mean, right?  :-\