Author Topic: "Catfish" (fake internet identities)  (Read 8597 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Catfish" (fake internet identities)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 02:33:39 pm »
And I'm still wondering about a mutual "friend" of ours -- you know who I mean, right?  :-\

Oh Marie, not only do I know exactly who you mean, I was so hoping you'd see this thread and respond that I almost messaged you about it! That friend was one of the one or two Brokies I mentioned a couple of posts ago. At least one of the Brokies was pretty widely exposed as a catfish. As for the other, the one you're referring to, I will probably remain forever mystified.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »

Not including the first half of the last story explaining the term, I haven't read any of these stories (including, not closely at least, the Manti Te'o one), but I believe I've had some catfishy experiences in my time using social media. How about you guys?

In any case, I am glad to know the term (the movie Catfish was pretty good, too, fyi). It's even more fun than "sock puppet" -- and I know for sure I have met at least one of those.

A' friend' of mine on the internet used to like to meet women online (I say 'friend' because I cannot confirm a lot of what he tells me).  He met a few in RL - including me - when we flew to London and met him.  He did mention that many times, the women he met in RL did not at all match the personalities he knew from the internet.  He and I suspected that many people feel protected and thus freer to act from behind a computer than they are in RL.  One woman he said seemed angry the whole time during the visit, as if he'd 'unmasked' her.

He did say I seemed to him to be exactly the same in RL as behind my user name.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 06:59:09 pm »
A' friend' of mine on the internet used to like to meet women online (I say 'friend' because I cannot confirm a lot of what he tells me).  He met a few in RL - including me - when we flew to London and met him.  He did mention that many times, the women he met in RL did not at all match the personalities he knew from the internet.  He and I suspected that many people feel protected and thus freer to act from behind a computer than they are in RL.  One woman he said seemed angry the whole time during the visit, as if he'd 'unmasked' her.

If she was going to react that way, I wonder why on earth she agreed to meet him?  ???

Oh Marie, not only do I know exactly who you mean, I was so hoping you'd see this thread and respond that I almost messaged you about it! That friend was one of the one or two Brokies I mentioned a couple of posts ago. At least one of the Brokies was pretty widely exposed as a catfish. As for the other, the one you're referring to, I will probably remain forever mystified.

???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 02:53:54 am »
If she was going to react that way, I wonder why on earth she agreed to meet him?  ???

Maybe she attempted to live up to her own internet persona and then discovered she couldn't?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:37:33 am »
Maybe she attempted to live up to her own internet persona and then discovered she couldn't?

Possible.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38:35 am »
We've had a few "catfish" on DCF, I'm sure every online forum gets them.

Most get found out, but there are a few who stay forever hidden.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 11:44:42 am »
The Chris.  ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 08:12:32 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:04 pm »