Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 31201 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The Oscars
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 02:53:50 pm »
Lady Gaga is getting a big amount of press for her singing last night, she was great.

Before I left for work this morning, the Today show ran a teeny-tiny clip of her singing "The Sound of Music." The talking heads were all raving about what a beautiful voice she actually has, and from the tiny bit I heard, I agree with them.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 06:44:12 pm »
Before I left for work this morning, the Today show ran a teeny-tiny clip of her singing "The Sound of Music." The talking heads were all raving about what a beautiful voice she actually has, and from the tiny bit I heard, I agree with them.

Here she is:

She gained my respect when I saw a video, a few years ago, of her singing one of her hits basically a capella. She was fantastic.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 10:51:25 pm »
The opera boards were all a-buzz with discussion about Gaga's performance last night. Opinions run the gamut. I thought that she did a good job with repertoire that is not in her wheel house. And I give her credit because I can't think of any other current pop stars who could have done anywhere near as good a job. There were some diction issues, and her breathing was all over the place. But she did display good tone production, and she managed her passagio well. Her acting was nothing more than stock gestures, and she spent too much time with her eyes closed, which passes for emotional intensity in the pop world, but doesn't fly in theatre. The tattoos were utterly distracting.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 01:15:07 pm »
Lady Gaga is great, she is without a doubt both intelligent and gifted.

Very happy to see JK Simmons win. I've been a fan ever since "OZ"
[youtube=425,350]http://youtu.be/KPxE1aOiBNM[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 07:44:10 pm »
The opera boards were all a-buzz with discussion about Gaga's performance last night. Opinions run the gamut. I thought that she did a good job with repertoire that is not in her wheel house. And I give her credit because I can't think of any other current pop stars who could have done anywhere near as good a job. There were some diction issues, and her breathing was all over the place. But she did display good tone production, and she managed her passagio well. Her acting was nothing more than stock gestures, and she spent too much time with her eyes closed, which passes for emotional intensity in the pop world, but doesn't fly in theatre. The tattoos were utterly distracting.

I was at a party and they said the same thing about her tattoos.

I thought that I read somewhere that Gaga is classically trained as a vocalist.  I could be wrong, though.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 06:29:02 pm »
Oscar nominations were announced...ho hum again.  :-\ Why oh why are the Oscars so boring and lily white? Well, I read that the LA Times took a survey and found that academy voters are 94 percent white, 76 percent men and an average of 63 years old. Hmmm, that may explain it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 12:20:41 am »
I'm sure it does.  Once they die off, and the panel changes, the nominations will change as well.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 09:06:30 pm »
I really hope The Weekend wins for best song so that the movie will forever be known as : The Oscar winning Fifty Shades of Grey! Joke aside, it really IS the best song.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 11:19:30 pm »
Nice to hear from you, Gil! I hope it wins too. I'm upset that Far From the Madding Crowd wasn't nominated for costume design. Well, I'm upset about a lot of things, Oscar wise, and that's one of them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 08:42:47 am »
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.