Author Topic: Easter Eggs in our favorite movie  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Easter Eggs in our favorite movie
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »
I was reading about "Easter eggs", hidden references to other movies, events and people. I didn't really know what this was before! So, Brokeback Mountain has a lot of these Easter eggs. Two that leap to mind are the Wonder Bread wrapper on the counter of Alma's kitchen that is a visual pun referencing Ennis's wonderment at his hidden desires, and Lureen's obvious reference to the Ang Lee film The Ice Storm when she tells Jack she hasn't seen his missing blue parka since the ice storm (in Texas?). What are other Easter eggs in our favorite movie?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Easter Eggs in our favorite movie
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:28 pm »
I was reading about "Easter eggs", hidden references to other movies, events and people. I didn't really know what this was before! So, Brokeback Mountain has a lot of these Easter eggs. Two that leap to mind are the Wonder Bread wrapper on the counter of Alma's kitchen that is a visual pun referencing Ennis's wonderment at his hidden desires, and Lureen's obvious reference to the Ang Lee film The Ice Storm when she tells Jack she hasn't seen his missing blue parka since the ice storm (in Texas?). What are other Easter eggs in our favorite movie?

It sounds bizarre, I know, but apparently ice storms do happen in Texas. Here is the headline from a Texas newspaper for Jan. 28, 2009.

6 Dead After Texas Ice Storm

However, this doesn't invalidate your point that the ice storm reference in the movie may well be an "Easter egg".