Author Topic: 1963  (Read 18705 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:36:55 am »
Ever since reading and watching "Brokeback Mountain," there's no way I can hear about something that happened in 1963 without thinking of Ennis and Jack going up and down that mountain.  I see Ennis getting out of the semi and the words flashing up on the screen:

Phillip started a thread 7 years ago for people to write about what their lives were like then: The Question of Time: What Was Life Like in 1963?

But this one is different in that it's more about times that 1963 jumps out at you and makes you think of Brokeback, e.g., a cornerstone on a building, someone's birth date, a cashier's receipt, a license plate, or an historical reference.

This is the place to put any references to 1963 you might notice cropping up in daily life. 
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: 1963
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:06:06 am »
The event that made me want to start this thread happened May 1 and May 22, 1963, when the first Americans made it to the top of Mount Everest.  I've been reading a book written by one of the climbers:

See the two tiny figures at the bottom of the picture?  That's Tom Hornbein and Willi Unsoeld heading up the West Ridge, the first climbers ever to try that route to the summit. They made it, too, and though Jim Whittaker will be remembered as the first American to reach the top of Everest (he came with 3 others up the tried-and-true South Col route), the pioneering of the West Ridge is equally if not more important in mountaineering history.

Here's a brief account of the climb, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year.  Of the six men to summit, only two are still living, Tom Hornbein and Jim Whittaker.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/MP/Everest/index.cat

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1YaIOH1Sbk[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RmJ25VBKTLI[/youtube]
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:59 am »
Ever since reading and watching "Brokeback Mountain," there's no way I can hear about something that happened in 1963 without thinking of Ennis and Jack going up and down that mountain.  I see Ennis getting out of the semi and the words flashing up on the screen:

I'm not the only one! :D  :laugh: Even after all these years, I sometimes put things in a time frame with Ennis and Jack. And then there's this sudden feeling of but they weren't real. Uhm, well, in theory that's correct, but .....

But this one is different in that it's more about times that 1963 jumps out at you and makes you think of Brokeback, e.g., a cornerstone on a building, someone's birth date, a cashier's receipt, a license plate, or an historical reference.

This is the place to put any references to 1963 you might notice cropping up in daily life. 

Happened to me just this week. I was reading an arcticle about the Vogelfluglinie, a transport corridor between Hamburg and Copenhagen. It was opened in May 1963 and I thought Oh yes, about the same time Ennis and Jack met for the first time. :)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:33:37 am »
Great idea for a thread, Meryl!

I don't recall any examples right now, but the mere mentioning of 1963 always feels so familiar to me.
Like it was the year of something important happening in my own life, not in theirs.

I guess I've internalized BBM to the extent that it really is a part of me now...

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:01 am »
*scratches head*

I can't remember the last time I've heard something about 1963.  I'll have to try and be more observant.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:43:53 pm »
I'm not the only one! :D  :laugh: Even after all these years, I sometimes put things in a time frame with Ennis and Jack. And then there's this sudden feeling of but they weren't real. Uhm, well, in theory that's correct, but .....

Oh, well, so what?  They're real to us Brokies!  8)

Happened to me just this week. I was reading an arcticle about the Vogelfluglinie, a transport corridor between Hamburg and Copenhagen. It was opened in May 1963 and I thought Oh yes, about the same time Ennis and Jack met for the first time. :)

You know, lots of 1963 events will be celebrating their 50th anniversary this year, so we'll probably be seeing more notices like this.  8)

Chuck and Sonja, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you see 1963 jump out at you.  It's out there!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:18:15 pm »
1963.......I started high school......and when Chucky mentioned that was 50 years ago, I had a slight seizure.... :o

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 09:31:28 am »
Wasn't born yet, but one of my fave songs of all time is from the band Orleans, with the line "late December, back in '63, what a very special time for me, as I remember what a night."
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:47 am »
1963.......I started high school......and when Chucky mentioned that was 50 years ago, I had a slight seizure.... :o

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:20 am »
Wasn't born yet, but one of my fave songs of all time is from the band Orleans, with the line "late December, back in '63, what a very special time for me, as I remember what a night."

Oooh, good song!