Author Topic: 1963  (Read 18596 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: 1963
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:40 pm »
Wasn't born yet, but one of my fave songs of all time is from the band Orleans, with the line "late December, back in '63, what a very special time for me, as I remember what a night."

Oooh, good song!

Sneaks in. ...

Except it's not Orleans. It's those beloved Jersey boys Franki Valli and the Four Seasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December,_1963_(Oh,_What_a_Night)

Sneaks back out. ...

I'm not here, I'm not here, I'm not here. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 04:42:05 pm »

Chuck and Sonja, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you see 1963 jump out at you.  It's out there!  ;D

From now on I'll be intensely focused on everything even remotely similar to the year 1963!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:36:38 pm »
Sneaks in. ...

Sneaks back out. ...

I'm not here, I'm not here, I'm not here. ...

**grabs a flashlight**

Who was that masked man?!  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 12:24:21 am »
**grabs a flashlight**

Who was that masked man?!  ;)

:laugh:  ;D  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 06:53:49 pm »
From now on I'll be intensely focused on everything even remotely similar to the year 1963!   ;D

Yup, as expected, only a few days after I posted this I read about a 50th anniversary!

This year it's exactly 50 years since Emil in Lönneberga saw the day of light. He's an incredibly well known and ditto loved character in a series of children's books written by Astrid Lindgren, who also wrote the books about Pippi Långstrump (Longstocking).

Emil, and her other characters, are extremely popular here, they make up a cultural frame of reference, shared by every single person living in Sweden. Generation after generation of children meet them in books and films that never get old. Year after year, Astrid Lindgren's books occupy all the top ranks on the list of most borrowed books in Swedish public libraries.

Did I say Astrid Lindgren is popular here?   ;D

Here is Emil, a boy who's always up to mischief:

Emil and his little sister Ida. Origianl drawings from the books.

Movie Emil and Ida:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 09:50:20 pm »
Those are lovely drawings, Sonja!  No wonder Swedes love them.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 03:42:46 am »
Yup, as expected, only a few days after I posted this I read about a 50th anniversary!

This year it's exactly 50 years since Emil in Lönneberga saw the day of light. He's an incredibly well known and ditto loved character in a series of children's books written by Astrid Lindgren, who also wrote the books about Pippi Långstrump (Longstocking).

Emil, and her other characters, are extremely popular here, they make up a cultural frame of reference, shared by every single person living in Sweden. Generation after generation of children meet them in books and films that never get old. Year after year, Astrid Lindgren's books occupy all the top ranks on the list of most borrowed books in Swedish public libraries.

Did I say Astrid Lindgren is popular here?   ;D

Here is Emil, a boy who's always up to mischief:

They're very popular here, too. Astrid Lindgren is THE classic of children's literature, next to Kästner. I also read Michel's stories to my children. Oh yeah, in German Emil's name is Michel, and I remember how shocked I was when I heard for the first time his real name is Emil! :laugh:
I almost named Oliver after him!

I loved the movies as a child, and later watching them with my own children. As a child, I had a strong dislike of the father, who I perceived as a truly evil character. As a parent, I felt for the poor father. Talk about perspective, lol. :laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 09:46:38 am »
Those are lovely drawings, Sonja!  No wonder Swedes love them.  8)

Glad you like them, Meryl!

I think they're really cute. The artist's name is Björn Berg (not Borg LOL), and he's a very well known illustrator here.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 09:47:46 am »
Michel!!!!  :o

Hmpf!!   >:(

;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 10:29:28 am »
Here's a page full of photojournalism from 1963 (it says "the world in 1963," but the POV is pretty US-centric, I'm afraid). It should dispel any notions anyone has (not here, but I've heard this kind of thing expressed elsewhere) that the early '60s were idyllic and peaceful.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/02/50-years-ago-the-world-in-1963/100460/