Author Topic: Longmire  (Read 27242 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Longmire
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:24:17 am »
I have been watching this drama on A&E called "Longmire", which centers around a Sheriffs office in Wyoming. I can't help but think it has been influenced by Brokeback Mountain. Even some of the music they use song like Gustavo himself. If you get a chance check it out.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO-ZrF2HJjY[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Longmire
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »
I have been watching this drama on A&E called "Longmire", which centers around a Sheriffs office in Wyoming. I can't help but think it has been influenced by Brokeback Mountain. Even some of the music they use song like Gustavo himself. If you get a chance check it out.

The series, now in its second season, is very good, and the series of eight novels that inspired it is even better. Check those out, too!  :) (They should be read in order, starting with the first, The Cold Dish.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I will put those on my list. Maybe I can take them with me on the flight to Australia (25 hrs. total).
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:58:49 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I will put those on my list. Maybe I can take them with me on the flight to Australia (25 hrs. total).

I would think the novels would make the time pass quickly and pleasantly on a journey to Australia.  :) 

My bad. I forgot to mention the author's name: Craig Johnson.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 05:10:21 pm »
Tru, you are right, it's very "Brokeback-ish", at least to me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:23 am »
I discovered this morning that after I left work yesterday, an e-mail came in from the Buffalo, WY, Chamber of Commerce to let me know that the schedule for this year's Longmire Days, July 18-20, was now available.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:07:10 am »
I discovered this morning that after I left work yesterday, an e-mail came in from the Buffalo, WY, Chamber of Commerce to let me know that the schedule for this year's Longmire Days, July 18-20, was now available.  :)

Go for it! :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:29:34 pm »

Go for it! :)

I'm no longer so sure. They had huge, really huge, crowds last year, and it might already be too late to get some place to stay in Buffalo.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:49 pm »
I have stayed at the Z-Bar Cabins and Motel. It was okay, by Wyoming standards. Not quite the Siesta Motel, but close.  :P
http://www.zbarcabinsandmotel.com/
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »
I have stayed at the Z-Bar Cabins and Motel. It was okay, by Wyoming standards. Not quite the Siesta Motel, but close.  :P
http://www.zbarcabinsandmotel.com/

Thanks for the warning review, FRiend.

I'm pretty much over the Siesta Motel. The bathrooms make me feel that I need to take a shower--somewhere else!  :laugh: If I ever have occasion again to spend the night in Powder Junction Kaycee, I believe there is another place farther up the street.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:56:48 pm »
I was just reviewing our souvenir map from Roundup, and I noticed a locality in the southeastern corner of Johnson County, Wyoming, know as "Linch." I'm guessing this might be the prototype for a place in A Serpent's Tooth, the ninth Longmire novel, known as "Short Drop." "Short Drop" is said to have gotten its name from a hanging, and the hanging was a lynching, so lynch = "Linch" = "Short Drop."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 12:53:44 am »
I'm no longer so sure. They had huge, really huge, crowds last year, and it might already be too late to get some place to stay in Buffalo.  :-\

You'll never know if you don't try and have a look. ;) And Sheridan is only a short drive away, just half an hour.
Maybe the WY tourist office website is helpful for you. They have quite some accommodations listed in Buffalo, and you can sort them by different types of it (B&Bs, Cabins [wouldn't a rustic cabin be lovely?], dude ranches, etc.)
Here's a list of 17  hotels&motels directly in Buffalo:
http://www.wyomingtourism.org/placestostay/listings/Hotels--Motels-and-Inns/33021

I was just reviewing our souvenir map from Roundup, and I noticed a locality in the southeastern corner of Johnson County, Wyoming, know as "Linch." I'm guessing this might be the prototype for a place in A Serpent's Tooth, the ninth Longmire novel, known as "Short Drop." "Short Drop" is said to have gotten its name from a hanging, and the hanging was a lynching, so lynch = "Linch" = "Short Drop."

Sounds compelling to me, I think you got it right. Cool! 8)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:14 am »
I'm pretty much over the Siesta Motel. The bathrooms make me feel that I need to take a shower--somewhere else! 

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:14 am »

You'll never know if you don't try and have a look. ;) And Sheridan is only a short drive away, just half an hour.
Maybe the WY tourist office website is helpful for you. They have quite some accommodations listed in Buffalo, and you can sort them by different types of it (B&Bs, Cabins [wouldn't a rustic cabin be lovely?], dude ranches, etc.)
Here's a list of 17  hotels&motels directly in Buffalo:
http://www.wyomingtourism.org/placestostay/listings/Hotels--Motels-and-Inns/33021

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably wouldn't have thought of looking at the state level; I already know that there are a number of places listed on the Chamber of Commerce site.

Maybe the real question right now is whether I will get over my funk before it's too late. Right now, I just don't feel like it--but that's a subject for another thread.

Meanwhile, I noticed something on the Longmire Days schedule that I thought was really nice: the actress who plays the supporting role of Ruby, the sheriff's department dispatcher and office manager, will be running a program for children.

The TV show returns for its third season June 2, and the second season ended with a cliffhanger: Branch was shot.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 09:10:33 am »

I've started rereading A Serpent's Tooth, and last night while I was reading I pulled out my old souvenir map from the Roundup. The map showed me further evidence to support my hypothesis that the "Powder Junction" of the Longmire novels is Kaycee, and also that "Surrey" and "Short Drop," places that figure in the plot of A Serpent's Tooth, are, respectively, Sussex and Linch. In the novel Walt says that he took the exit (from the interstate) for Powder Junction, and then took "192" south and east to Surrey and Short Drop. Well, the map shows you that Rt. 192 is the highway that runs south and east from Kaycee through Sussex and Linch.

In one respect I will have to check the novel and the map again tonight at home. I might be confusing the names Surrey and Sussex. I am certain that one is the actual place in Wyoming and one is the fictionalized place in the novel.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:10:29 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 09:44:02 am »
In one respect I will have to check the novel and the map again tonight at home. I might be confusing the names Surrey and Sussex. I am certain that one is the actual place in Wyoming and one is the fictionalized place in the novel.

Oh, heck! I forgot to check this last night!  >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 10:05:34 pm »
I've started rereading A Serpent's Tooth, and last night while I was reading I pulled out my old souvenir map from the Roundup. The map showed me further evidence to support my hypothesis that the "Powder Junction" of the Longmire novels is Kaycee, and also that "Surrey" and "Short Drop," places that figure in the plot of A Serpent's Tooth, are, respectively, Sussex and Linch. In the novel Walt says that he took the exit (from the interstate) for Powder Junction, and then took "192" south and east to Surrey and Short Drop. Well, the map shows you that Rt. 192 is the highway that runs south and east from Kaycee through Surrey and Linch.

OK, I've checked the map. Sussex and Linch are the real places in Wyoming. Surrey and Short Drop are the fictional places in A Serpent's Tooth.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 10:18:22 pm »
Well, I'm glad we got that straightened out!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:30 am »
A group that is not facebook or the like is Goodreads. It's owned by Amazon and there's a Longmire reading group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/116180-the-walt-longmire-series-books-tv-show-group

The bad news is it only has 7 members currently.

But I would imagine that if you get active in some similar groups, you could find some sympatico people to carpool with from Denver or wherever to Ucross.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 11:02:21 am »
A group that is not facebook or the like is Goodreads. It's owned by Amazon and there's a Longmire reading group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/116180-the-walt-longmire-series-books-tv-show-group

The bad news is it only has 7 members currently.

But I would imagine that if you get active in some similar groups, you could find some sympatico people to carpool with from Denver or wherever to Ucross.

Oooh! Thank you so much for that tip! I will have to check it out when I get back from visiting my dad this weekend.   :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 03:03:43 pm »
According to the "Post-its" on his web site, Craig Johnson is going to be in Riverton and Lander for the Fourth of July holiday this year. I wish I was, too.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he and his wife are staying at the Mayor Delfelder B&B.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 07:01:57 pm »
Guess who showed up at the Mint Bar today?!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:26 pm »

Well, it's on "the loop."  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:43 am »

Very cool! 8)
They're in big foot steps; Mrs. Proulx's and ours. :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:57 am »
I just read this thread for the first time. Longmire looks pretty good. And I see what you mean about the trailer -- looks like they took a few shots right out of the Brokeback Playbook.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 12:07:54 pm »
I just read this thread for the first time. Longmire looks pretty good. And I see what you mean about the trailer -- looks like they took a few shots right out of the Brokeback Playbook.

It's a very good show, and better this season than last season, but the books are better than the show.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 01:40:29 pm »
Last night's episode of the show sure had a couple of surprises. For one thing, it actually ran more than an hour--maybe about an hour and ten minutes--including commercials. I don't know if it was the season-ender or not. It did end with a bit of a cliff-hanger (I don't like season-ender cliffhangers  >:( ), and if we've seen the last of Deputy Branch, I will be very, very sorry because I think Bailey Chase is hawt.

Edit to add:

Well, I guess here's the answer to my question: Last night's episode was the season finale:

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/longmire-2014/episode-10-season-3/ashes-to-ashes/375529

Spoiler Alert:

So Season 2 and Season 3 both ended with Branch getting shot.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:38:35 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 11:43:49 am »
Bad news.  :(

I have just read on another forum that Longmire has been cancelled.  :(

So I guess we may never know whether Deputy Branch has been murdered by his own father.  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »
Bad news.  :(

I have just read on another forum that Longmire has been cancelled.  :(

So I guess we may never know whether Deputy Branch has been murdered by his own father.  :(

Last time I checked Craig Johnson's web site, Longmire has been picked up for another season--by Netflix!

And the person responsible for canceling the show at A&E is now looking for a new job.  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 04:02:18 am »
Last time I checked Craig Johnson's web site, Longmire has been picked up for another season--by Netflix!

And the person responsible for canceling the show at A&E is now looking for a new job.  ;D

Thanks for the good news, bud! I'm happy to hear it will be continued. :)
So far the first two seasons have been shown here. No news whatsoever about when (if?) the third will be shown.
No DVD of season 2 either. :-\

It aired only in a tiny, pretty unknown station and except for our family I don't know anybody who even heard of it. The same goes for Modern Family. To pay for the rights of a new series and then hiding it in some teenie-tiny side network most people haven't even heard of - that doesn't make sense to me. ???