Author Topic: Can something be done?  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Can something be done?
« on: August 03, 2013, 04:21:46 pm »
Friends and neighbors we've got trouble in River City Bettermost. Perhaps some of you folks are not aware that just about every day, some bots--if that's the correct term for them--are creating memberships and posting movie-related spam in our fair community.

I have been reporting these posts to the mods whenever I find them, and perhaps others are, also, but can something be done to prevent this from happening?

Just askin' 'cause this is gettin' tiresome. I'm not tech-savvy enough to know if anything can be done. I appreciate the dedication of our mods, and I imagine they might be gettin' tired of all these reports of "Spam!" from me. Sorta like a Bettermost Spam-a-lot. ...  ;D

(((Mods!)))  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Can something be done?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »
I have noticed this also, perhaps because of my timezone. I have seen other groups be overwhlemed with this sort of activity so they regular users depart and they become defunct. Some groups say you must post 5 replies before you can start your own thread. Is this possible?

Several years ago, when I had a disagreement, I tried to leave Bettermost but found it was impossible. I did leave Dave Cullen at the time and have not returned. Perhaps it was just as well as I have returned to Bettermost  ;D.  However the claim of over 2000 residents is a bit much. I guess probably at least half have not visited in more than a year

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:45:04 pm »
Friends, moderators diligently remove the spam postings and alert our administrators so they can ban the posters. Our co-founder and tech guru John is working on a possible fix, but there will probably always be some spam. We usually get the spam posts off within a few hours...sometimes a few minutes ...of their posting. And we have people working on it in many time zones. However, right now a couple of moderators/admins are travelling so there many be a bit more spam than usual. I'll mention it to Chrissi when I see her later on.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:19:29 pm »
Well done to all the moderators.....you must be very diligent, because I have yet to see any spam......thank you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:22:40 pm »
Friends, moderators diligently remove the spam postings and alert our administrators so they can ban the posters. Our co-founder and tech guru John is working on a possible fix, but there will probably always be some spam. We usually get the spam posts off within a few hours...sometimes a few minutes ...of their posting. And we have people working on it in many time zones. However, right now a couple of moderators/admins are travelling so there many be a bit more spam than usual. I'll mention it to Chrissi when I see her later on.

Thanks, FRiend! It's good to know that this has been brought to the attention of our Top People.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:42:06 pm »
I'm not sure what type of security DCF has in place, but we rarely ever get spammers, but every once and a while, one gets through.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »
Chrissi says these spams are coming from large companies in Asia that just send spam all the time. She's travelling right now so there may be a few more than usual but we moderators who are at home can keep deleting them.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:38:45 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 04:26:22 pm »

Yum! Who knew they made so many varieties?  :D

I wish I could find them around here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:31:30 pm »
Spamalot!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:36 pm »
I've never had Spam, and I didn't know about the varieties either.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:48:20 pm »
I've never had Spam, and I didn't know about the varieties either.

I understand Spam is big in Hawaii.

I have a warm spot in my heart--or somewhere--for all that canned stuff that's really bad for you, not just Spam but also things like Beefaroni and Spaghetti-os.

:laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 08:21:31 am »
OMG!  I can't remember the last time I ate "spaghetti-os".  LMAO.   I liked the ones with the hot dogs.

I've always imagined that Spam tasted like Taylor Ham/pork roll.  if I remember correctly, there was frozen item similar to Spam called Scrapple.

lol

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 09:24:24 am »
OMG!  I can't remember the last time I ate "spaghetti-os".  LMAO.   I liked the ones with the hot dogs.

I've always imagined that Spam tasted like Taylor Ham/pork roll.  if I remember correctly, there was frozen item similar to Spam called Scrapple.

lol

:laugh:  I forgot they used to make Spaghetti-os with little hot dogs!

I never really thought about a taste comparison between Spam and Taylor Pork Roll. I haven't had Taylor Pork Roll in years because the last time I did, it was so greasy it upset my stomach.  :(

Scrapple doesn't necessarily have to be frozen. I've never eaten it, even though it's sort of a Pennsylvania Dutch ethnic dish, because I could never stand the smell of it when my mother would fry some for my father.  :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »
Shit! Two different Spambots today already.  >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 10:14:44 pm »
I think I may have to change my screen name to Jeff Spambot-Slayer.  :(

Every day and every day. And it always seems to be three posts.  :(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »
Jeff, we usually get several spammers per week...and yes they always seem to post three spams in quick succession. The moderators delete them as quickly as we can, but sometimes moderators are not online soon enough.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 02:29:18 am »
Isn't it weird that the spam posts come in threes?  ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 05:39:36 pm »
Anyway, I've tried to be a good citizen and report these spams whenever I see them, but right now I'm a little tired of what appears to be a losing battle against the spambots.  :(

From now on, or for now, I believe I will leave it up to the mods and admins--and take this opportunity to say Thank you! to all of them for their time in service to the community.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 07:36:00 pm »
Thank you, Jeff! These days, if I see a new member post three messages in quick succession, I don't even have to go there, I know exactly what it is!