Author Topic: X-Man Mutant as Metaphor  (Read 6406 times)

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: X-Man Mutant as Metaphor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 12:26:36 am »
I think this topic thread has come to a close, and that all BetterMostians interested in these films have read about them here by now. 

If you ARE new to the world of X-Men, if you happen to see that they will be on TV (particularly on Saturday afternoon), you should check them out.  They are fun, and do have a larger meaning.  But the militant-gay metaphor is probably the most subtle thing about the movies.  They are, after, comic books writ large.  Still we don't have to be grimly serious about everything.

If someone wants to say more, of course please do.  I will check the site and help you if I can.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: X-Man Mutant as Metaphor
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »
I had thought everything about X-Men had been said, but then I got hold of X-Men1.5.  It is not another X-Men movie, it is a two disc set containing a digitally enhanced version of the first film, X-Men, and a feature-length commentary about the making of the film.

The commentary is excellent, and tells you all you want to know about the film, the special effects, etc.  There are also interviews with the actors.  In the interview with Ian McKellen (Magneto), he mentions the gay subtext, and says that this is why he was first interested in being a part of the project.  McKellen has been out of the closet for many years, and works actively all over the world for LGBT causes.  Other actors interviewed allude to the gay thing, but do not spell it out.

If you are an X-Men freak you will want to get X-Men1.5.  The digitally enhanced version of X-Men is noticeably better than the original.  The commentary shows the actors with fewer clothes on, and without special effects makeup.  Some beautiful men.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz