Author Topic: On the subject of prostitution  (Read 26349 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
On the subject of prostitution
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »
Milo, I'm not sure why you think he was a "scumbag" just for telling the truth as he believed it to be?  If he had entered the service, and been caught in an act with another man, wouldn't he have been dishonorably discharged anyway, and just gone right back to Hollywood?  The way I see it, he just saved himself a trip.  Plus, I don't think a buzz cut would have been a good look on him, despite his gorgeous face.

Jeff, I'm curious -- why do you think of him as "self-destructive"?

I think all prostitutes are scum. Being proud of it is even more reprehensible. I'm hoping that this particular angle to James Dean's story is just rumor.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:12:12 pm »
I think all prostitutes are scum. Being proud of it is even more reprehensible. I'm hoping that this particular angle to James Dean's story is just rumor.

Being so narrow-minded is also reprehensible.  And rebuking him for wanting to escape the draft?  Were you around in those days?

As for this topic site and the film:  Thanks, guys, for the great eye-candy.  The problems with the film for me were with continuity and bad acting by the main characters.  That he was gay, or at least bi-, is not news, and hasn't been for a very long time.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 07:54:47 am »
I think all prostitutes are scum. Being proud of it is even more reprehensible.

I am sorry, but I am so upset by this posting that I must say more.

I have known prostitutes and hustlers in my work with the Ontario Ministry of Correctional Services, other social services, and informally in Toronto bars and clubs over the years.  Almost without exception, I have found them to be much like everyone else: wanting some money in their pockets, facing a difficult world, and just trying to do the best they can.  If there is a difference, it is that they usually have a more troubled past to deal with, yet seem to be more accepting of other people's foibles and more willing to live and let live.  To dismiss them as "scum" is not just narrow-minded, it is unconscionable.  These, my friend, are not those who would hurt and oppress you.  If you must loose arrows, at least aim them in the tight direction.

Sex-workers are an extremely disadvantaged part of society, and struggle against far more than those who call them names.  They battle indifferent social agencies, hostile police, and worst of all, psychopathic crazies who torture and murder them to rid the world of such scum.  They are as oppressed as those of us in the LGBT community.  WE know what it's like; we, certainly, should be on their side in their struggle.

Why am I the only person to speak out here?  Other BetterMostians, and not just LGBT, I implore you to say something.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:59 am »
I am sorry, but I am so upset by this posting that I must say more.

I have known prostitutes and hustlers in my work with the Ontario Ministry of Correctional Services, other social services, and informally in Toronto bars and clubs over the years.  Almost without exception, I have found them to be much like everyone else: wanting some money in their pockets, facing a difficult world, and just trying to do the best they can.  If there is a difference, it is that they usually have a more troubled past to deal with, yet seem to be more accepting of other people's foibles and more willing to live and let live.  To dismiss them as "scum" is not just narrow-minded, it is unconscionable.  These, my friend, are not those who would hurt and oppress you.  If you must loose arrows, at least aim them in the tight direction.

Sex-workers are an extremely disadvantaged part of society, and struggle against far more than those who call them names.  They battle indifferent social agencies, hostile police, and worst of all, psychopathic crazies who torture and murder them to rid the world of such scum.  They are as oppressed as those of us in the LGBT community.  WE know what it's like; we, certainly, should be on their side in their struggle.

Why am I the only person to speak out here?  Other BetterMostians, and not just LGBT, I implore you to say something.

You're relatively new here, so you probably don't realize that I don't care about your emotional state. It's not my problem. You can be as upset as you feel is commensurate with this topic, but your feelings are neither a substitute for an actual rational postion, nor will they have any effect on my position.

You call for others here at Bettermost to say something about my comments here. Those who had something to say did so. If you would like to engage in further debate, then I would encourage you to propose a debatable position. Otherwise, save your "outrage" for someone who actually cares.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
You're relatively new here, so you probably don't realize that I don't care about your emotional state. It's not my problem. You can be as upset as you feel is commensurate with this topic, but your feelings are neither a substitute for an actual rational postion, nor will they have any effect on my position.

You call for others here at Bettermost to say something about my comments here. Those that had something to say did so. If you would like to engage in further debate, then I would encourage you to propose a debatable position. Otherwise, save your "outrage" for someone who actually cares.

You do realise that saying that "I think all prostitutes are scums" is not an argument - it´s you expressing your emotions and feelings for something. But it has nothing to do with argumentation or facts. It´s just you feeling like crapping on something.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:04:43 am »
You do realise that saying that "I think all prostitutes are scums" is not an argument - it´s you expressing your emotions and feelings for something. But it has nothing to do with argumentation or facts. It´s just you feeling like crapping on something.

OK. Here's a couple of facts: prostitutes are criminals in most places across the world, and they have negative effects on the general health and welfare of society wherever they operate.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:34:19 am »
OK. Here's a couple of facts: prostitutes are criminals in most places across the world, and they have negative effects on the general health and welfare of society wherever they operate.
You forget the tricks - who are usually men - that buy (mostly) poor women.

I fully support the Swedish law in this regard - here it legal to sell sex but illegal to buy it. We go after the buyers instead of the sellers who in most cases come from broken homes or have gone through other difficulties in their lives.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:24 am »

You call for others here at Bettermost to say something about my comments here. Those who had something to say did so. If you would like to engage in further debate, then I would encourage you to propose a debatable position. Otherwise, save your "outrage" for someone who actually cares.

I guess name calling (i.e., scum) is a rational position.

I don't much care for hookers and hustlers, either, especially those who hawk their wares in my neighborhood, but I don't delude myself that my dislike of them is rational. Like or dislike, either way, that's an emotional reaction.

It's rational to be concerned about the effect prostitution might have on crime in the neighborhood, or the effect on property values, but I don't fool myself that those are the reasons I don't like hookers and hustlers.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:57:45 am »
You forget the tricks - who are usually men - that buy (mostly) poor women.

No, I don't forget the customers. They are the ones who create the demand.

The Swedes have their way of dealing with the problem. Fine. Here in the US we go after both the customer, and the provider. Much like the drug trade, both sides need the attention of law enforcement.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:03:00 pm »
I guess name calling (i.e., scum) is a rational position.

I never said that it (name-calling) was a rational position. Its not. It is based on an emotional response. The mistake x-man made is that he decided that he wants to argue with it, and has called for others here at Bettermost to join him in this effort. One cannot have an argument over an emotion. One can agree or disagree, but emotional expressions are not debatable points...whether they be my expressions, or anyone else's.

That is the point I'm trying to make.