Author Topic: On the subject of prostitution  (Read 26338 times)

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
On the subject of prostitution
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »
I never said that it (name-calling) was a rational position. Its not. It is based on an emotional response. The mistake x-man made is that he decided that he wants to argue with it, and has called for others here at Bettermost to join him in this effort. One cannot have an argument over an emotion. One can agree or disagree, but emotional expressions are not debatable points...whether they be my expressions, or anyone else's.

That is the point I'm trying to make.

One cannot have an argument over an emotion?  Oh really?  Then what about the emotions of bigoted whites which were certainly argued over by your whole country leading to the Civil Rights Act?--Emotions were examined, found to be wrong, and some change was possible.  How about the emotions of homophobes that have led...well, you know where I am headed.  Concerted behaviour that leads to discounting and oppression is by its very nature emotional and bigoted.  Our job is to examine emotional responses that target others, see if they have any reality about them, and if they do not, to uproot them.

I gave you my own personal experience with this problem, and my knowing at firsthand that sex-trade workers are not scum.  They may have troubled backgrounds and make bad choices based on that background, but they are not scum.  They are trying to do the best they can in the face of daunting odds, and they are not scum.

Your reply was that I was new to BetterMost, you don't care about my emotional state, and that I should save my outrage for somebody who actually cares.  Well, that is quite a thought-out, rational response!  I think you shot yourself in the foot on this one.  I sense that other people here, while they may not favour prostitution, do not consider sex-trade workers to be scum.

Try your comments out again, substituting Black or gay for sex-trade worker, and see how uncomfortably close they come to the emotion brought to the treatment of such minorities in North America and the world.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 08:38:12 pm »
One cannot have an argument over an emotion?  Oh really?  

Yes, really. An emotion is not a debatable concept. One simply has an emotion. One cannot say that a person did, or did not experience an emotion. An emotion is neither right nor wrong. The occurrence of an emotion is an irrefutable fact.

For example, if I say that pepperoni pizza makes me happy, you cannot say that I am wrong with any veracity. The fact is that pepperoni pizza does indeed make me happy. You cannot validly say that my happiness does not exist, nor can you validly say that what I an feeling is not happiness.

What you're telling me is that I should not feel the way I do about prostitutes. That is not debate. That is not an argument. That is moral opinion, a/k/a dogma.

Then what about the emotions of bigoted whites which were certainly argued over by your whole country leading to the Civil Rights Act?--Emotions were examined, found to be wrong, and some change was possible.  How about the emotions of homophobes that have led...well, you know where I am headed.  Concerted behaviour that leads to discounting and oppression is by its very nature emotional and bigoted.  Our job is to examine emotional responses that target others, see if they have any reality about them, and if they do not, to uproot them.

Wrong.

The Civil Rights Movement was not played on an emotional gridiron, but rather the legal and behavioral gridirons. It was racist laws and behaviors that were challenged specifically, not racist emotions. Don't play the race card with me. You'll always lose.

There is no government or law that is capable of controlling a human emotion. Governments and laws can only reward or punish behavior.

I gave you my own personal experience with this problem, and my knowing at firsthand that sex-trade workers are not scum.  They may have troubled backgrounds and make bad choices based on that background, but they are not scum.  They are trying to do the best they can in the face of daunting odds, and they are not scum.

Excuses.

I have my own personal experience with whores. I have never seen any good come from the practice of prostitution. If you have, I'd be interested to hear your stories, and learn of the outcomes. At least we both agree that prostitution is a problem.

Your reply was that I was new to BetterMost, you don't care about my emotional state, and that I should save my outrage for somebody who actually cares.  Well, that is quite a thought-out, rational response!  I think you shot yourself in the foot on this one.  I sense that other people here, while they may not favour prostitution, do not consider sex-trade workers to be scum.

OK. Here's where you shot yourself in the foot: you called for other netizens of Bettermost to come here and chastise me for my opinion on prostitution. That is a boldface, disrespectful confrontation. You crossed the border into the land called FuckinWithMilo. You really don't want to be there.

Try your comments out again, substituting Black or gay for sex-trade worker, and see how uncomfortably close they come to the emotion brought to the treatment of such minorities in North America and the world.

Apples and oranges.

Being black or homosexual are innate human traits. Being a prostitute is, for the most part, a career choice. The former are not comparable to the latter.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:17 pm »
Prostitution is illegal in most backward parts of the world. It is not illegal in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and much of Western Europe. In those countries it can be regulated to  reduce negative health effects.

Your liberal elitist position fails to recognize that America has done, and continues to do amazingly vital good things all over the planet, and is doing relatively well for itself. The American prohibition of prostitution has in fact not made it a "backward" part of the world.

I would also be interested to see what information you have on the well-being of prostitutes in the countries you mention as compared with the well-being of prostitutes here in the USA.

Until I was in my late 40's homosexual acts were illegal. Did that make me scum?

I don't know you well enough to say what made you scum, or what didn't. What I do know is--as I have already said above to x-man--that comparing homosexuality to prostitution is an false dichotomy. Homosexuality is an innate human trait. Prostitution is, for the most part, a career choice.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:18:59 am by Sason »
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:14 pm »
Scum is in the eye of the beholder.  You have a habit of generalising and your posts are often offensive, but hey, you don't give a shit and that's fine. I don't give a shit either but at least I don't call a whole segment of society "scum" based on a stereotype.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:19:46 am by Sason »

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 09:34:00 pm »
So Milo, what made YOU scum, lol!  Scum is in the eye of the beholder.  You are a bigot who has a habit of generalising and your posts are often offensive, but hey, you don't give a shit and  that's fine. I don't give a shit either but at least I don't call a whole section of society "scum" based on a stereotype.

MODERATOR?!?!?!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 10:13:16 pm »
MODERATOR, it's okay, I edited my post to make it less truthful.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:06 pm »
MODERATOR, it's okay, I edited my post to make it less truthful.

Oh, the humanity!!

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 11:25:35 pm »
MODERATOR?!?!?!
Are you calling for help?

From other postings here I see that others recognize that the issue is not your opinion of prostitution, but your labeling sex-trade workers as "scum."  You consistently refuse to address this in your remarks.  You have backed yourself into a corner, friend, and everybody knows it.  If you think you are going to scare us by talk of "Don't fuck with Milo...You don't want to go there," you are quite mistaken.  I see from your postings in general, and from personal messages I have received from other BetterMostians, that you are no stranger to this kind of bullying "argumentation."  That's sad--for you and for BetterMost.

I first thought of going through your long quote-and-response just above this last one and refuting it point by point.  But I don't think I need to.  You have revealed yourself as the emperor without his clothes.  People can read; why say more?  It's been fun, but frankly this is getting tedious.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 11:54:49 pm »
Are you calling for help?

Yes. Gil and I have had many heated exchanges over the years. I have been coached by the moderators here at Bettermost that I should not lash out at him in response to personal attacks, but rather seek their help. In keeping with that request, I ask for help from them.

From other postings here I see that others recognize that the issue is not your opinion of prostitution, but your labeling sex-trade workers as "scum."  You consistently refuse to address this in your remarks.  You have backed yourself into a corner, friend, and everybody knows it.  If you think you are going to scare us by talk of "Don't fuck with Milo...You don't want to go there," you are quite mistaken.  I see from your postings in general, and from personal messages I have received from other BetterMostians, that you are no stranger to this kind of bullying "argumentation."  That's sad--for you and for BetterMost.

-- Sex is not "work."

-- You seem to have missed the point ...
[/quote]

Oh good!! I guess that means you're going to stop harassing me.

And let's not forget that you are the one who brought this fight to the playground. If you find it tedious, you have nobody but yourself to blame.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:10:52 am by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 01:12:32 am »
Hello, I have removed a couple of posts and edited one post that contained personal attacks. Please keep the discussion civil. Thank you.

Also, this thread is about a film about James Dean. Let's please stick to the topic or, if we have to veer off topic, at least not just devolve into name-calling. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:09:10 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"