Author Topic: Liberace "Behind the Candelabra"  (Read 20313 times)

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Liberace "Behind the Candelabra"
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 12:52:28 pm »
I really want to make it clear to everyone that in my last postings here I was NOT telling my "coming out" story.  

What is interesting is your mindset at 14. At that age, decades after you, my mind was on baseball and summer--no concept of seeking sex or homosexuality.

I was interested in raising amongst fellow gay men the question of love and sex when we were adolescents, and when older, confronting noticeably younger men.

Perhaps an interesting topic for some, but it's way off topic in this thread. I would suggest you start a new topic and see if there are any takers.

Brad

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 02:18:40 pm »
At age 14 young people may have sexual feelings, however often confused but in most cases they have not developed a clear sense of right and wrong which is why they are considered by law to be minors.
The adult should have a clearer sense and that is why society expects him (or her) to restrain their feelings. As a teacher, even more was expected of me.  Thankfully I do not live in fear as my birth country is now in the middle of a royal commision and many stories are coming out, some of them in or near schools where I taught. Though I again stress my sexual feelings were for young men of 16 and over. I do not consider that pedophaelia but some might.

Sorry my sort of coming out story bored you. I am not offended if straight or gay people ask me about it. Hopefully it explains the trauma most of us went through and negates those who say we 'choose our sexuality' Perhaps that is why I can say that 90% of my friends and probably 99% of the people I interact with day by day (not online) are straight.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »
Perhaps an interesting topic for some, but it's way off topic in this thread. I would suggest you start a new topic and see if there are any takers.
Brad

You are quite new to BetterMost so perhaps you do not know the way topic threads move and often focus on one particular aspect of the original question--in fact that moving around is the norm here.
I sense antagonism in your posting.  I have come to see that this has no place in BetterMost.  Old timers here can testify that my rhetoric has softened considerably since I first arrived.  If discussions about sex--gay or straight--make you uncomfortable, perhaps this is not the best website for you.  This website has as its reason for being Brokeback Mountain--the film, the story, and everything connected to it.  At the heart of BBM is the story of the love affair between 2 men.  It should not surprise you that many of the subsidiary topic sites would treat this subject.  We live here, and will not be bullied into leaving.

Brian,
You misunderstood my motives.  I was not bored by your coming out story, in fact I want to comment on it at another time.  Please do not be offended or think that I was in any way discounting your experience.  It is so easy in website postings to come off sounding harsh when that was not intended.  The "bears" help a little in this regard but sometimes ill-considered language slips by.  Sorry if that is what happened here.
 :)
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline brianr

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 04:07:53 pm »
Thanks x-man. I was just trying to show that many of our experiences, even growing up in a similar period, are very different.
Bradnblue has been around these forums longer than me. For some reason he left and rejoined.

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 07:29:28 pm »

I sense antagonism in your posting.......We live here, and will not be bullied into leaving.

What? I found your long post about your experience at 14 fascinating and suggested a thread dedicated to that topic since it had nothing to do with "Behind the Candelabra". Sorry I struck a nerve.

Bradnblue has been around these forums longer than me. For some reason he left and rejoined.

Yeah Brian, some time ago I pulled the plug out of frustration when most of the chat was dominated by politics. I signed back up and have been lurking for months. I have enjoyed the more civilized tone, thought out (less emotional) responses and some of the topics and decided to jump back in.

Brad   

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 07:56:48 pm »
Thanks x-man. I was just trying to show that many of our experiences, even growing up in a similar period, are very different.

I'm glad we got that straightened out.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline brianr

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 11:01:11 pm »
I have just received an email from the Graham I wrote about. Attached is a scan of the birthday card as Graham is very busy as a school Principal and could not get near a post office to send what is now an overseas letter. Sadly his wife who, as I wrote, he loves dearly is legally blind and could not help.
Rather than post here, I will posthis message on the "Happy Birthday Brian" thread where it is more relevant.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:23 am »

Brian, I don't know if it is because of antagonism or thoughtless language, but I am feeling very self-conscious about posting to this topic site.  It's not you, you understand that.  See you around another topic site soon.