Author Topic: Privacy feature  (Read 14881 times)

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Privacy feature
« on: April 04, 2006, 06:35:46 pm »

I took a few minutes today to see what was happening at Chez Tremblay this afternoon.  I read with curiosity David's thread about leaving because the privacy feature was revoked due to public pressure.  I then read the subsequent messages, some supporting David, others not so much.  Can I add my two-bits worth? 

I think David has a point, a very strong point.  The freedom to post in privacy is a feature some people would prefer.  I for one.  If I could have figured out how to work the thing, I would have posted only incognito, for my own reasons, the first being I happen to live with the board's namesake.

What surprised me most though, was the apathy with which I heard so many say they "couldn't care either way".   David is talking about the right to privacy on a public forum.  This is not small potatoes.  I know most of you are big L liberals and that is why the reaction surprised me so much.  Maybe the fact I am Canadian has something to do with the fact that the removal of this personal freedom (yeah, yeah, it's only a privacy function on a fun movie forum)  is for me not a small thing.   The acceptance of phone tapping, surveillance cameras, and other blatant abuses of our rights and freedoms in the guise of our protection from terror is frightening.  David has every right to be dramatic and maybe it's time people become a hell of a lot more dramatic in the light of this Brave New World we are shaping.

Now you guys go ahead, react to what I have to say.  Be dramatic.  Give a shit. Tell me off if you must but do me a favour, lay off David.  He is the most kind, most polite, most positive young gentleman I have met in a long time.  Thank goodness there are still people who feel that strongly about things and who are still willing to stand up and say something. 

This is a great forum for open and honest discussion.  Anger, frustration, drama, tears, love and laughter make it what it is.  Don't ever allow it to become any less.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Nicole Tremblay

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Privacy feature
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:51:25 pm »
a voice of reason and perspective

Thanks Nicole!

Heathen

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 06:53:05 pm »
Hi Nicole,

:)

Actually we're not allowed to tell anyone off on this forum. So there won't be any of that.

I did that yesterday in a moment of passion and learned my lesson.

* I just typed 10 sentences . read them. deleted them.  Why?  Because frankly , some of these threads are starting to really make me angry. I am going to stop right now.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:01:16 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:02:12 pm »

This is a great forum for open and honest discussion.  Anger, frustration, drama, tears, love and laughter make it what it is.  Don't ever allow it to become any less.

I appreciate frank and open discussions about issues, but I don't want to see that reduced to personal attacks.  I've had lots of experience administering message forums, and I can tell you that when people stop discussing issues and start attacking each other personally, civility falls completely apart and a forum created as a place for friendship and support rapidly descends into chaos.

I don't believe in heavy-handed moderation, but I want people to understand there are some reasonable limits.  All of the things you mentioned are being important for frank and open discussion can be managed without tearing down fellow users.  It's very important that we can all be there for one another.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:28:59 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:39:41 pm »
I'm still not sure what happened exactly (have to read David's thread first, I guess), but I'm fine with the hidden feature thing. As long as Philip knows what's going on, I think we should accept it.

I have admittedly been a bit paranoid about who's going to follow or trace us here, but we have an administrator and moderators and I'd like to believe they know what's best for this forum.

In any case I'd be sad to have anyone leave here that has been a survivor from the BBM and then PT board!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:06:41 pm »
Well said, Nicole.

I think we should trust Philip on this issue. He knows a hell of a lot about forums so he knows what he's doing. He can see the "hidden" users anyway, so we shouldn't worry too much.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:08:44 pm »
*deleted my own post*

forget it....sigh....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:10:19 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 09:40:40 pm »
Ahem,   would people please refer to a poster by their screen name in later posts.   For example,  StudDuck made those remarks, yet people keep typing David this, David that, which many people may think is ME!      :P

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:58:23 pm by DavidinHartford »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 10:16:43 pm »
David(inHartford), I know what it's like to have double-name confusion  ;D
I agree, people should say StudDuck if they are referencing the other David, as to avoid confusion.

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 10:20:24 pm »
Sorry DavidinHartford.  I'm not used to these forums.  This is the first and only one I've ever been on and even then I am only on to peek in from time to time.  I meant Studduck.

Hey Paul! I mean Montferrat. I'm really curious about what you keep deleting.  Please PM me.  I can take it.  Honest.

And Philip, I know you know what you are doing and are used to these forums, I was just stating my opinion regarding an issue that interests me.  No doubt you have a very good reason for doing what you did.  I have an opinion contrary to it.  Please know that this has nothing to do with you personally, this is just my opinion.

signed,
nicpic64

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 10:22:03 pm »
Hi Mandy,

Yeah, come to think of it, I know what it's like to get confused with the other Nicole, too.  So from here on in, I'm nicpic64.  Deal?

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 10:26:51 pm »
I give a shit Nicole.

(I feel so naughty for swearing, though.  Do I get spanked?)

Montferrat, are you still angry?  Can I offer you a nice soothing cup of chamomile tea?  Back rub?  I'm good at backrubs.

signed,
nicpic64

You crack me up.

Signed,
Chanterais

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 10:30:41 pm »
Hey Nicole (nicpic64), sounds good hun. *still remembering your lovely PM a while back praising Newfies*

*muah*

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 10:31:39 pm »
Hey Chanterais,

You crack ME up!  Mutual admiration society...  Hey, totally off topic... hope this doesn't get deleted... this probably belongs in a PM but I still haven't figured out how to do that, but anyway, Chanterais, have you seen last week's cover of Maclean's?  "Move over Toronto, Calgary's the new hot spot"?  Oh, my goodness but that was embarassing.  Did you see the cover?  I hang my head in shame.

signed,
nicpic64

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 10:34:27 pm »
Hi dmmb_Mandy,

Yes, we love Newfies!  Hey, Chanterais?  Mandy, can you please tell me how to PM someone before i get kicked off this thing for being totally off topic.

By the way, where's Paul, uh, montferrat?  I do love his spunk!

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 10:42:58 pm »
Hey Chanterais,

You crack ME up!  Mutual admiration society...  Hey, totally off topic... hope this doesn't get deleted... this probably belongs in a PM but I still haven't figured out how to do that, but anyway, Chanterais, have you seen last week's cover of Maclean's?  "Move over Toronto, Calgary's the new hot spot"?  Oh, my goodness but that was embarassing.  Did you see the cover?  I hang my head in shame.

signed,
nicpic64

PMs: Click on the name of the user you want to send one to.  Scroll down a bit past their profile, and there should be a little link asking if you would like to send this poster a message.  Click on that.

No, haven't seen that Macleans.  I'll buy it tomorrow.  But I don't believe a word of it.  I mean, Calgary compete with Toronto?  Pfffft!  Go back to cow-tipping, you yokels!  We'll be here in Toronto, going to the opera, the theatre, living the high life, you know.  And Mandy B, don't even think about starting.  Fishing?  Kissing cod?  Whatever, man. >:D :-*

By the way, where's Paul, uh, montferrat?  I do love his spunk!
  Nicpic, are you sure this is what you mean?  I didn't think you had it in you.

Signed,
Chanterais

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:09 pm »
OMG Chanterais!

You did NOT go there!!!!   

I am sooo sorry for Chanterais's slop-bucket mind Nicole!

:o

LOL!
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 10:49:33 pm »
OMG Chanterais!

You did NOT go there!!!!   

I am sooo sorry for Chanterais's slop-bucket mind Nicole!

:o

LOL!

*Chanterais giggles filthily*

I did.  I went there.  But to be fair, Nicpic went there first.  And, according to reports, so did you.  Ba-doom Shh!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 10:52:34 pm »
And Mandy B, don't even think about starting.  Fishing?  Kissing cod?  Whatever, man.

I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I've never kissed a cod. And I haven't fished since I was 12 (and I always threw them back in the water).

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 10:59:39 pm »
Oh, Mary mother of God!  Did I actually write that on a BBM board?  You'd think I would know better!  But then again, I vaccum in the raw wearing Jake's hat so... heh, I'm Calgarian!  YEEHA! Ride 'em cowboy!!!  So there you fish kissin', CN Tower climbin' namby pambies from down East.

Paul, I'm sorry... we'll kinda... har har har... check your PM's darlin' Paul. (Now, how do I insert one of those winking little yellow balls?  Oh, great, now I've said balls and Chanterais will be all over me.  Oh, "all over me"...  did I just say THAT on a BBM board??? ARhg... someone...stop...me...now...)

love ya all,
YEEHA!

signed,
nicpic64

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 11:04:23 pm »
Can someone clue me in??? what is so naughty about Nitpic saying she loves Paul's spunk!? I'm clueless!

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 11:07:24 pm »
Hello Newyearsday,

I will PM you the answer.  It is not appropriate for this forum.

signed,
nicpic64

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 11:08:23 pm »
I'm kinda clueless too, PM me too Nicpic, I guess she just took it as meaning something sexual?

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 11:08:52 pm »

I appreciate frank and open discussions about issues, but I don't want to see that reduced to personal attacks.  I've had lots of experience administering message forums, and I can tell you that when people stop discussing issues and start attacking each other personally, civility falls completely apart and a forum created as a place for friendship and support rapidly descends into chaos.

I don't believe in heavy-handed moderation, but I want people to understand there are some reasonable limits.  All of the things you mentioned are being important for frank and open discussion can be managed without tearing down fellow users.  It's very important that we can all be there for one another.

Getting back to the original point of this post thread, and in response to the above from Phillip, I would like to just say that anger and frustration (and maybe even a little drama) can all happen without descending into personal attacks on a board such as this. It's a reeaaallly important point to make. We don't have to censor our anger just because we have a guideline here to refrain from personal attacks. It's about owning our feelings and not witholding them. But not blaming them on other people, or trying to personally tear someone else down in an effort to make ourselves feel better, bigger, etc. It;s something we need a lot of practice to be good at, but just so you know, it can be done, and it's a beautiful thing to behold someone effectively expressing and owning all their feelings without taking someone else down in the process. Words to chew on.....
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 11:10:47 pm »
Oh, Mary mother of God!  Did I actually write that on a BBM board?  You'd think I would know better!  But then again, I vaccum in the raw wearing Jake's hat so... heh, I'm Calgarian!  YEEHA! Ride 'em cowboy!!!

Now, this I gotta confirm--you have Jake's cowboy hat?!! oooohhhh the jealousy just jumped a few notches....

I'd do that with it too if I were you! And I bet Jack Twist would approve. :)

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 11:20:30 pm »
Getting back to the original point of this post thread, and in response to the above from Phillip, I would like to just say that anger and frustration (and maybe even a little drama) can all happen without descending into personal attacks on a board such as this. It's a reeaaallly important point to make. We don't have to censor our anger just because we have a guideline here to refrain from personal attacks. It's about owning our feelings and not witholding them. But not blaming them on other people, or trying to personally tear someone else down in an effort to make ourselves feel better, bigger, etc. It;s something we need a lot of practice to be good at, but just so you know, it can be done, and it's a beautiful thing to behold someone effectively expressing and owning all their feelings without taking someone else down in the process. Words to chew on.....

Well said Jenny hun.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 11:27:34 pm »
Spunk can also mean jism.

And that's my final word on this topic. :angel:

vkm91941

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 11:28:18 pm »
OMg...and Chris and Mandy say I'm the one who starts all the sex talk you guys!!! >:D ROFLOL
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:10:50 am by vkm91941 »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 01:05:36 am »
I've been posting on Bettermost for just a couple of months, and I'm a total newbie to the Tremblayer group.  So as something of an outsider it's hard to know how to respond.  At the same time, it does give me some distance with which to comment.

<snip>I think David has a point, a very strong point.  The freedom to post in privacy is a feature some people would prefer.  I for one.  If I could have figured out how to work the thing, I would have posted only incognito, for my own reasons, the first being I happen to live with the board's namesake.

What surprised me most though, was the apathy with which I heard so many say they "couldn't care either way".   David is talking about the right to privacy on a public forum.  This is not small potatoes.  I know most of you are big L liberals and that is why the reaction surprised me so much.  Maybe the fact I am Canadian has something to do with the fact that the removal of this personal freedom (yeah, yeah, it's only a privacy function on a fun movie forum)  is for me not a small thing.   The acceptance of phone tapping, surveillance cameras, and other blatant abuses of our rights and freedoms in the guise of our protection from terror is frightening.  David has every right to be dramatic and maybe it's time people become a hell of a lot more dramatic in the light of this Brave New World we are shaping.

On one level, it's a technical issue as much as a privacy issue.  Some, maybe many, posters have no clue how to post while invisible, and might not understand why someone would do that.  You gave a good example of why you might.  Basically it comes down to keeping one's identity private.  Given the stress that so many Tremblayers have experienced from trolls on other boards who used that kind of anonymity to be destructive, I can understand why there would be apprehension about the same thing happening here.  I know I stopped reading and posting on IMDb for the same reason.

Most people have the utmost faith in Phillip to be able to deal with people who use the hidden feature abusively.  Hopefully there won't be much need for him to even have to deal with trolls.  On another level, though, it seems like there's other stuff brewing within the Tremplay group, and resulting from their move to Bettermost.  (I'm a social worker so I sometimes look at stuff like that from the perspective of group dynamics).

Studduck's post does have good points about the need to not further, or voluntarily restrict privacy "for the larger good".  I can get that, and you reiterated it well.  But his announcement was also in the form of a kind of 'kiss off', and it followed closely after a similar thread from someone else...Stud?  No, Surf.  Both threads seemed to be kind of hostile, and probably had stuff carrying over from TOB (someone had to explain to me what that acronym means!) 

So it's not just about privacy issues.  Groups that are uprooted and then find themselves becoming part of a larger group go through that kind of transition, and unfortunately sometimes it's too much for some in the group.  To me, some of these growing pains are normal for what they're going through.  That's my .02 cents, with interest.

I find this to be a pretty great group of people: supportive, funny, thoughtful, passionate, and, as evident from the 'what-do-we-look-like' thread, sexy.  I find it all very exciting, spunk talk included, LOL, and hope to get to know folks even more.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 01:14:53 am »
Juan,

Thank you for this very insightful post.  You obviously put a lot of thought into it and it shows. I think you've hit many nails on the head in your message.  I also spit my juice out at the "spunk"!

I am curious, in your position as a BetterMost regular, as to how we can encourage other folks to post here as well?
I know that a few of us have been trying to encourage other Tremblayans to participate in the other boards on this site and feel really self conscious about what I percieve as a lack of integration.  Any suggestions?  I do think the onus is on us, as the newcomers, to make an effort to visit AND participate in the rest of this site.

By the way...I sent you a PM!

Once again, Juan, thank you for your really intelligent and IMHO, meaningful post.

Paul

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 01:38:59 am »
Well, thanks Paul, I appreciate it.  I was thinking about the same thing you asked, about how to integrate the different groups more. 

I've been so into this flurry of activity in the Tremblay section that I've been checking the other sections less.  So I made an effort to look around today, and I noticed some posts about "all these new people".  One thing that strikes me, and Phillip might correct me on this, is that with the arrival of the Trembleyans, you all are probably in the majority now.  If not, that's the impression I get, so it may be a little daunting for Bettermost regulars to pop into Chez Tremblay.  I don't know what made me saunter over, I can be pretty shy.  But I was like, oh wow, all these new people!  All these new threads!

I think it's a process of sort of cross-pollination.  There are a lot of really nice Bettermost folks to get to know, good people, like there are in here.  I hope more of them check out these threads, and that yall check out the other sections and contribute.  Posting some threads saying, hey! Check out such-and-such thread in Now What? or Safe Haven and vice versa.  Maybe the moderators would be in charge of doing that.  I'll make more of an effort to encourage them to come over and say wassup more. 

And thanks for the PM, I replied before I finished this...sort of like time travel huh?

Juan

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 01:46:17 am »
drunken volleyball!

er...oops, wrong place!

;D
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 01:47:30 am »
Wait, wait, wait....

David AKA StudDuck is one of the nicest most polite young men, like, ever?

You must luvvvvvvvvvvvv him and want to have 10,000 of his babies... (kidding! hehehe, that one's for David... name that movie!!)

To help set the record straight:

1) He is not polite and uses the "f" word all the time when IM'ing me, even when he's totally wrong about something... like 'Ghost' not being a great film.

2) He has a real thing for Julie Walters, AKA Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, and that is just self-explanatory.

3) He has tapes of very rare stuff by Stanley Kubrick that he won't even watch out of respect for the man (since it's stuff Stanley himself didn't like).  I mean, come on, the guy's, you know, not around much anymore?  What's he gonna know?

4) He torched the great Alfred Hitchcock's greater 'Rebecca' in a plus or minus game (just to spite me, I'm pretty sure) and he hasn't EVEN SEEN IT.

5) He thinks 'Good Will Hunting' is a really good movie!!  And I have it on good word that he's seen 'Back To The Future' 600 times!!  (Well, those are more of a sanity issue than anything else...)

In the name of a fair and balanced report,

Spookily Yours...   ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:24:28 pm by Spooky_Rabbit »
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 01:52:05 am »
drunken volleyball!

er...oops, wrong place!

;D

LOL, you blowing up my spot already?  Not that I would play volleyball while drunk, too dangerous.   ;)

Juan
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:54:21 am by JCinNYC2006 »

TheStudDuck

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 02:02:31 am »
Wait, wait, wait....

I'll buy that.  :angel:

1) He is not polite and uses the "f" word all the time when IM'ing me
Only because you provoke me.

even when he's totally wrong about something... like 'Ghost' not being a great film.
Ghost, in terms of quality, is not a great film.  It's so 1990 with its cheesy visual effects and its insistance on the fact that anyone could love Patrick Swayze to the point of tears.  You conveniently left out the fact that I said I thoroughly enjoyed it and that I thought it was well-written.

2) He has a real thing for Julie Walters, AKA Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, and that is just self-explanatory.
It's true.  But you make it sound like I have a thing for Julie Walters as Mrs. Weasley (which is somewhat true, but not entirely)... my love for her comes from the film Billy Elliot.  See it and you shall understand.  She is a goddess.

3) He has tapes of very rare stuff by Stanley Kubrick that he won't even watch out of respect for the man (since it's stuff Stanley himself didn't like).  I mean, come on, the guy's, you know, not around much anymore?  What's he gonna know?
I do own the first four Stanley Kubrick films which are very rare and he spent years trying to destroy.  Out of my respect for him, I am honoring his wishes that no one see them by letting them stay unwatched in my collection.  Got a problem with it?

4) He torched the great Alfred Hitchcock's greater 'Rebecca' in a plus or minus game (just to spite me, I'm pretty sure) and he hasn't EVEN SEEN IT.
It was a game.  You want to cry some more?

5) He thinks 'Good Will Hunting' is a really good movie!!  And I have it on good word that he's seen 'Back To The Future' 600 times!!  (Well, those are more of a sanity issue than anything else...)
False, I said Good Will Hunting is a great movie.  And if you don't think so, then something is wrong with you (and I'd use the F-word in that sentence if I thought it wouldn't offend anyone).  And 600 is a very modest number... I said I've seen Back to the Future at least 600 times.  The minimum.

What is this the National Enquirer?  Am I having my secrets outed?  All of them?  How fair is this?  (I must admit that I was laughing hysterically reading them... I'm not ashamed... I love Julie Walters... I also love Meryl Streep... who cares?)

David
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:08:41 am by TheStudDuck »

vkm91941

Well in solidarity with the duck and no offfense to anyone else
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2006, 05:51:50 am »
Wait, wait, wait....

I'll buy that.  :angel:

1) He is not polite and uses the "f" word all the time when IM'ing me
Only because you provoke me.

even when he's totally wrong about something... like 'Ghost' not being a great film.
Ghost, in terms of quality, is not a great film.  It's so 1990 with its cheesy visual effects and its insistance on the fact that anyone could love Patrick Swayze to the point of tears.  You conveniently left out the fact that I said I thoroughly enjoyed it and that I thought it was well-written.

It's true.  But you make it sound like I have a thing for Julie Walters as Mrs. Weasley (which is somewhat true, but not entirely)... my love for her comes from the film Billy Elliot.  See it and you shall understand.  She is a goddess.

I do own the first four Stanley Kubrick films which are very rare and he spent years trying to destroy.  Out of my respect for him, I am honoring his wishes that no one see them by letting them stay unwatched in my collection.  Got a problem with it?

It was a game.  You want to cry some more?

False, I said Good Will Hunting is a great movie.  And if you don't think so, then something is wrong with you (and I'd use the F-word in that sentence if I thought it wouldn't offend anyone).  And 600 is a very modest number... I said I've seen Back to the Future at least 600 times.  The minimum.

What is this the National Enquirer?  Am I having my secrets outed?  All of them?  How fair is this?  (I must admit that I was laughing hysterically reading them... I'm not ashamed... I love Julie Walters... I also love Meryl Streep... who cares?)

David

As the subject line says I am posting in solidarity with Studly the Duck!

1. David is a darling as are all the young men on this board...and the old ones too...nuff said :-*
2. Ghost is in my opinion not a GREAT film, it was a good film in it's day and I really liked it , but it has not stood the test of time ::)
3. Julie  Walters is a fine actress with an impressive filmography, don't diss the woman just because Molly Weasley is a frump.  I like Molly Weasley, she reminds me of my own Mum, god rest her.  And Billy Elliot is one of the top 5 films of the last 10 years! If you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and rent it! :)
4. Well studly your on your own on Kubrick, I personally just don't get the guy. :-\
5. It was a game, he played agressively, get over it. :o
6. Good Will Hunting is a very good film.  Robin Williams and Minnie Driver  give a brillant performances in it.  Matt Damon is good, Ben Affleck is plastic and uninspiring. ;)
7. Well I don't know how many times I've seen Back to the Future, but it's alot becuase I have kids and it's a good film for kids.  It's creative, uplifiting and funny.  Just the kind of thing you watch when your spirits are low.  I personally watch Strictly Ballroom on those days but to each his own. ;)

How well would any of our personal qwerks stand up to this kind of scrunity and teasing. :-[  Careful it almost could go to far and smell of pettiness and meaness :'(.  JMO
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:05:12 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline David

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2006, 07:19:45 am »
Montferrat,   Can I offer you a nice soothing cup of chamomile tea?  Back rub?  I'm good at backrubs.

HEY HEY!   Watch those hands young lady!!!!

and I can't even use the spunk word without being called a "Perv" by Paul!!   LOL

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2006, 08:50:50 am »
Most people have the utmost faith in Phillip to be able to deal with people who use the hidden feature abusively.  Hopefully there won't be much need for him to even have to deal with trolls.  On another level, though, it seems like there's other stuff brewing within the Tremplay group, and resulting from their move to Bettermost.  (I'm a social worker so I sometimes look at stuff like that from the perspective of group dynamics).

A social worker... oh gosh... I am putting your name down as future moderator material.   ;D

So it's not just about privacy issues.  Groups that are uprooted and then find themselves becoming part of a larger group go through that kind of transition, and unfortunately sometimes it's too much for some in the group.  To me, some of these growing pains are normal for what they're going through.  That's my .02 cents, with interest.

Part of this may also be the fact with no common enemy trolls to band people together, tensions between individuals can more readily surface.  I participate on a number of different forums, some of which debate, ohmygod, politics.  I am often in places where there are two liberals (me and one other) against a whole mess of conservatives and the fact that think we are clueless, and we think they are soaking, like Madge, in the talking points, rapidly causes all sorts of tensions.  But I never forget what is written on a message forum is not to be taken so seriously that it should be allowed to bug you all day.  I've often met some of my opponents and it turns out we get along just fine in person, and 75% of what gets written online is never spoken to someone's face, and we treat it more as a debate about ideas and not about each other's merits as individuals.

Everyone has the right to an opinion and people can disagree with it, but should never be offended just because someone doesn't agree.  And those that disagree should not judge the whole person because of one opinion they hold, even if they do like Pauly Shore movies.  Oh my... I am writing like Donald Rumsfeld now... and I think he said it best when he said, "I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."  You know?  ;D

I find this to be a pretty great group of people: supportive, funny, thoughtful, passionate, and, as evident from the 'what-do-we-look-like' thread, sexy.  I find it all very exciting, spunk talk included, LOL, and hope to get to know folks even more.

I agree.

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2006, 09:06:40 am »
ooooohhh.... I just love it when I start a thread that has everyone jumping in with their two-bits worth! 

First of all, thanks Phillip for being so wonderful and allowing us here in a safe place. You really are kind.

Second, I really should not have assumed you were all big L Liberals.  I was impulsive and not thinking things through. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Third, "Ghost" was a good movie only because Demi More's haircut ROCKED!

Fourth, JCinNYC2006 Rocks too!

Fifth, yes, I have Jake's hat AND a couple of the shirts he and Heath wore in the film.  When I saw the movie I turned to the woman I was sitting with and said, "Hey! That's Pierre's shirt!"  How's that for perspective?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2006, 09:46:31 am »
Fifth, yes, I have Jake's hat AND a couple of the shirts he and Heath wore in the film.  When I saw the movie I turned to the woman I was sitting with and said, "Hey! That's Pierre's shirt!"  How's that for perspective?

And if you were to put them on eBay, you could buy a new car, furniture, home, small island in the Pacific....   ;D

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2006, 10:16:50 am »
Believe me, Phillip, I've thought of it.  My old '91 Chev Lumina is falliing apart and the thought of those shirts and hats just sitting there in the closet make me wonder what I'd look like in a Jag. ;D

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
Re: Well in solidarity with the duck and no offfense to anyone else
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2006, 12:06:35 pm »
How well would any of our personal qwerks stand up to this kind of scrunity and teasing. :-[  Careful it almost could go to far and smell of pettiness and meaness :'(.  JMO

Oh, Vic, appreciate the point by point rebuttal, but it was more a TRIBUTE to David than anything else and he is well aware of this (as we talk every other day, if nothing else for our endless Good Will Hunting debates - he almost got me to relent there, until he said it is better than Citizen Kane, Titanic and Who's That Girl COMBINED! I had to draw the line somewhere...)

For the record, I LOVE Julie Walters and of course have seen Billy Elliott.  I just don't know about having, um, relations with her...

;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:26:25 pm by Spooky_Rabbit »

vkm91941

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2006, 04:14:07 pm »
endless Good Will Hunting debates - he almost got me to relent there, until he said it is better than Citizen Kane, Titanic and Who's That Girl COMBINED! I had to draw the line somewhere...)

I'm pleased to hear you guys have that kind of good natured sparing on-line friendship going.  My brothers and I banter like that and "outsiders" have been know to get their feelins hurt which has made me sensitive to it I guess...no worries

And I agree completely that saying GWH is Better than Citizen Kane, Titanic and Who's That Girl COMBINED  :o is way over the top!

For the record, I LOVE Julie Walters and of course have seen Billy Elliott.  I just don't know about having, um, relations with her... ;D

Umm well no I wouldn't want to have sex with her either! ROFLOL!   But I absolutely love her otherwise. ;D

TheStudDuck

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2006, 04:21:20 pm »
First of all... I never said Good Will Hunting was better than Titanic, Citizen Kane and Who's That Girl combined.  I'm sure he's just trying to make me look crazy... and I'll get him back for that, don't worry...

But as for Julie Walters, both of you are sexually attracted to men (as far as I know)... so your comments and opinions aren't exactly valid, eh?  I mean to say you wouldn't have sex with a particular woman... it's like, well duh!?

It'd be like me saying I wouldn't have sex with Vin Diesel... well, of course I wouldn't, I'm not prone to being sexually attracted to men... so it's sort of... not even relevant to whether he is sexually attractive.  :angel:

For the record, I would totally have sex with Julie Walters if given the opportunity.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2006, 04:21:41 pm »
For the record, I LOVE Julie Walters and of course have seen Billy Elliott.  I just don't know about having, um, relations with her... ;D

Umm well no I wouldn't want to have sex with her either! ROFLOL!   But I absolutely love her otherwise. ;D

I would totally have sex with Julie Walters.  I've always had a weakness for desperate chain-smoking ballet teachers.

Edited to add:  Snap, Studly!  Threesome?  You'll have to wear a tutu though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:23:18 pm by Chanterais »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24:22 pm »
Juan,

Thank you for this very insightful post.  You obviously put a lot of thought into it and it shows. I think you've hit many nails on the head in your message.  I also spit my juice out at the "spunk"!

I am curious, in your position as a BetterMost regular, as to how we can encourage other folks to post here as well?
I know that a few of us have been trying to encourage other Tremblayans to participate in the other boards on this site and feel really self conscious about what I percieve as a lack of integration.  Any suggestions?  I do think the onus is on us, as the newcomers, to make an effort to visit AND participate in the rest of this site.

By the way...I sent you a PM!

Once again, Juan, thank you for your really intelligent and IMHO, meaningful post.

Paul

What Paul said.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2006, 04:29:25 pm »
Fourth, JCinNYC2006 Rocks too!

Fourth, thank you.

Fifth, no wonder you want to be in invisible mode!  You're gonna get inundated with offers now!

Juan

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 05:46:18 pm »
OK, OK, Julie really IS kind of sexy, even as Mrs. Weasley.

But Vin? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

And LOL - Who's That Girl!!  Didn't ya find that funny?  I mean WHAT could be worse?

(I'm so ashamed, I saw that movie in THE THEATRE!!)

hehehe....   ;D

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »
Fourth, thank you.

Fifth, no wonder you want to be in invisible mode!  You're gonna get inundated with offers now!

Juan
[/quote]

Fourth, you're welcome.

Fifth, yeah, not so bright of me to be shouting it from the roof tops, heh?  Unless of course I'm serious about that Jag.

Nicole ;)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 06:06:53 pm »

What Paul said.
Gracias!  I've always wanted to ask - is your name like, L, M, N, O?

Juan