Author Topic: A Final Decision On the Hidden Feature  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
A Final Decision On the Hidden Feature
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:20:58 pm »
Attention All Users

I have had a chance to reflect on all of the input I've received from you guys about the "hidden feature," and you have all made excellent and articulate arguments.  I have been very impressed with several points that you guys made I had not thought of, and I valued your input considerably.

I must confess I am very swayed by the points raised by those who feel that the option of being hidden has many valuable uses.  Impish raised the point that for those closeted and browsing forums, some level of anonymity might be more inviting and comforting for that kind of user.  Others have raised the very real point that we do not live in a police state, and at the risk of getting political, as a person who believes civil liberties in the United States are certainly under siege, I am very sensitive to that argument!

I also have to confess the only reason I opted for my original decision is to stem the flow of messages from users afraid this place was about to be overrun by trolls.  In a few days, we will have been together for a week and we are still 100% troll-free.

I want to assure every user I have a lot of tools at my disposal to deal with trolls.  I will use any/all of them necessary.  In my 20 years of administering message forums, I have dealt with troll-type situations using anything from private messages to account suspensions, to IP blocks, all the way to contact the abuse department at their ISP and having their Internet accounts terminated if they failed to stop.  The moderators here are working with me to have contingency plans to deal with any incursions.  If things were to get bad, I'll voice validate every new user by phone before they get access here.  I've done that kind of thing back during my BBS days, and I can do it again.

I suspect a lot of users aren't aware of my commitment to keep this place friendly, supportive, and troll free, and the fear of further victimization is likely the primary reason people are worried about the hidden option.  All I can do to assure you that is not going to happen is to just let time pass and see.

With all this in mind, I have changed my mind and will leave the hidden user option available.  While users may not be aware of those using this option, rest assured I, as administrator, do see every handle - even the hidden ones.

Again, I really appreciated the intelligent and thoughtful contributions to this discussion on all sides.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:50:00 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Re: A Final Decision On the Hidden Feature
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:24:47 pm »
Good, I'm glad that's settled. I'm sick to death of this topic.

thanks Phillip.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:36:40 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:42:33 pm »
Same here! I just posted on Nicole Tremblay's thread, before seeing/reading this here and I accept your decision Philip!

Thank you.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:56:46 pm »
Thank you!

Your decision reminds me of how lucky we are to be here!

Moni
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07:20 pm »
Thanks Phil-it's all good!

Heathen

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07:49 pm »
I just posted this on Nicole T's thread regarding this issue:

I think we should trust Philip on this issue. He knows a hell of a lot about forums so he knows what he's doing. He can see the "hidden" users anyway, so we shouldn't worry too much.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:14:58 pm »
Thanks Phillip - I'm so appreciative of your integrity and thoughtfulness.  We are fortunate to be in your company.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:40:46 am by yaadpyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:54:13 pm »
as i wouldn't use the hidden option, this doesn't affect me, but i have to say i agree with and support your decision 100% if for any reason because there are more valid arguments against disabling it vs. the one argument that it might be a troll.  as you said there are many ways to deal with trolls, taking away the hidden option wouldn't change their access to this board, it would just be an "ignorance is bliss" situation. 

as i type this there's an ad for the bbm dvd on tv.  sweet.
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 09:04:35 pm »
Thanks Phillip. I am just so grateful for you being our Administrator. It's a breath of fresh air, I can tell you that! I probably will never use it but I am very glad it is there for those who feel they need it, and I won't worry anymore knowing that you are at the controls. We just got burned so bad last week and nobody seemed to give a rat's ass, so this is a very welcome change of scenery to be in the presense of an Admin who really cares and who knows what to do.

Bless you.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 09:38:09 pm »
Thanks Phillip. I am just so grateful for you being our Administrator. It's a breath of fresh air, I can tell you that! I probably will never use it but I am very glad it is there for those who feel they need it, and I won't worry anymore knowing that you are at the controls. We just got burned so bad last week and nobody seemed to give a rat's ass, so this is a very welcome change of scenery to be in the presense of an Admin who really cares and who knows what to do.

Bless you.

Ditto.  Phillip, once again I just have to say how glad I am to have an administrator that listens so closely to the members of the board and makes thoughtful and considerate decisions.  Thanks - with you at the helm, I'm not worried at all.   ;D
   Cowboys do it better

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 10:42:37 pm »
Thanks Philip, for your consideration and your ability to look at both sides of the issue. 

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 11:15:32 pm »
Phillip once again I am in awe of your dedication and fairness.  Thank you so much for fairly weighing all options and making an informed decision.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 11:36:29 pm »
Phillip, I fully respect your decision.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 11:57:30 pm by sparkle_motion »
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 12:01:13 am »
Classy edit, Sparklepie.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 09:47:07 am »
Philip, you are a true human being.