Author Topic: Celebrating 6 months-Last night's viewing  (Read 2435 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Celebrating 6 months-Last night's viewing
« on: October 14, 2006, 01:46:30 pm »
I watched my DVD last night for the first time in months. I've stayed away for a couple of reasons-the mild "off-ness" I feel after viewing it and fear of it losing it's power with repeated exposure. Last night I didn't get quite that same heart-pounding reaction to the Focus Features and River Road intro that I used to but what I did get, when the truck carrying Ennis to his destiny under the rising sun came into view, was a flood of memory and emotion about my Brokeback experience, specifically Bettermost and the Tremblayans. My previous associations with the movie have been with my father's illness and the stressful time I had with him-hence the sadness-but that seems to have morphed into a mellow happiness and appreciation of the time spent here and with you.

I cried almost from the beginning of the movie but the emotion was contentment, appreciation and love. Thanks for being a part of my journey and allowing me to be a part of yours.

No, I'm not trying to leave again. I learned that lesson the first time  ;D

O0

Heathen

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Celebrating 6 months-Last night's viewing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 03:14:34 pm »
Very nice thoughts, RouxB,
this year has been emotionally very much intense for me as well, thanks first to the original CT forum in IMDB, then to Bettermost, which is definitely a heaven where I could share my emotions, which otherwise would have continued to live only within my soul.
As I mentioned in one of my more recent posts (My first BBM anniversary), though, each time I view BBM I get the same - I'd say even more intense - feeling I had the first time. And really, everytime I see the FOCUS feature or RiverRoad intro I feel a shiver down my back. BTW I also greatly enjoyed the other recent RiverRoad production (Home Prairie Companion).
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 04:17:54 pm »
Here are the things I noticed on my viewing last night (Roux - so cool that we were both viewing it last night, perhaps even at the same time since I didn't start watching until about 10 p.m. EST) that I hadn't before:

- In the first tent scene, right before the fateful hand grab, pull, and placement, the camera pans from the edge of the tent (sort of the wall of it Jack's facing) to Jack, as if, maybe, to show how much of the bedroll was going unused because Jack was butted up against Ennis.

- When Aguirre came to tell Jack about his Uncle Harold, it occurred to me that ordinarily Jack would have come down from the mountain for a few days to see him in the hospital, but he didn't this time because he didn't want to leave Ennis.  This seems painfully, embarassingly obvious now, but it had never crossed my mind before.  Of course that would be the reason Aguirre would be sent - basically to let Jack know so he could get over there and say his good-byes.  Otherwise, why send someone just to give him bad news about which he could do nothing?  But by the time Aguirre speaks to Jack, they both know that ain't happening and why - Jack just doesn't know that Aguirre knows that, too, hence the way he looks at Aguirre kind of strangely when he doesn't pursue it with him.  I realized just last night that the strange look wasn't because he wondered if Aguirre knew about him and Ennis - it was because he wondered why he didn't try at all to persuade him to go see his uncle in the hospital.

And for the first time ever, I also started tearing up very early on - at the scene when they're chopping up the tree trunk together and they're wearing The Shirts.
No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 06:24:03 am »
No, I'm not trying to leave again. I learned that lesson the first time  ;D

I rember that well - you were going back home after looking after your dad, and you said. Thank you all for being my rock - but now I have my life to get back to. And we all said yay for you but boo for us - but have a good life. It's lovely we are almost all still here.

xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:34:59 am »
RouxB & Barb -

OMG (almost).  Last night (8pm Pacific) I decided to watch Brokeback after only viewing once in the last several months (I used to watch virtually every weekend until July!) I stood with it in my hand & then just couldn't - it had not been the right kinda day - so I decided I would wait until tonight - wait for a better frame of mind.  You (esp you RouxB) must be sending me vibes!

See you in Alberta!
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 04:31:03 pm »
 :) ok everybody - must be something in the water, because I also watched BBM last night - I had debated with myself if I really wanted to do that knowing that I would be a semi-basket case after - but I did and I was.  I need to revisit that movie every so often, so as not to 
lose all the emotions and intimate details of it in the blur of daily life - I still have the boys as my wallpaper and screensaver, and its been almost 9 months, silly perhaps, but what can I do??............................ :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist