Author Topic: OMG -- DVD SUBTITLES on the SECOND TENT SCENE!!!!!!!!  (Read 11012 times)

rtprod

OMG -- DVD SUBTITLES on the SECOND TENT SCENE!!!!!!!!
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:08:55 pm »
(kiss)

Ennis:  I'm sorry. 

Jack: It's all right.  It's all right.  Lie back.  Come on. 

EnnisDelMar

Re: OMG -- DVD SUBTITLES on the SECOND TENT SCENE!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:09:57 pm »
Uhh what? Is that on the offical DVD release? I sure never heard all that lol

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:28 pm »
Erm, um.  :-\  Where do subtitlers get their script from?  Are they reading along or are they doing as failliable a job listening as everyone else?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:15:44 pm »
(kiss)

Jesus H. rt, you've had an Academy screener for months, you've been teasing us with that fact and the you've never had subtitles? I just figured it came with what ya got....
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 08:21:19 pm »

never mind.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • First Kisses
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:24:44 pm »
(kiss)

Yes, and they've neglected to add Jack's "C'mere" which to me is completely obvious just prior to the kiss.

I've been looking at scenes with subtitles on.  There are quite a few lines they get wrong. 
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline RingerFanatic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:34:39 pm »
Oh great. So I guess the debate continues.... lol :) Someone will just have to ask Jake and Heath next time they're at a Q&A together again like at the Aero Theater. Oh wait...that's gonna be NEVER! Awwww crap.

I always thought it was:

Jack: I'm sorry
Ennis: It's ok
Jack: It's all right

And I thought that the very first time I saw it...and up til my 24th viewing on Saturday i still stand by what my ears heard....

rtprod

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:41:17 pm »
Brandon -- Official DVD released today, yes.  Were you able to get one?  

Leslie -- the Academy screener doesn't have any subtitles or I would have clarified this silly mess long ago...    ;D

Del -- They sometimes get this stuff wrong, I guess, but it seems perfectly right in this case when you watch the scene with them on -- Ennis is reticent and says, "I'm sorry."  Then two affirmations from Jack.  The "I'm sorry" is laid over Ennis' half of the screen (right) and then the "It's all rights" both come on Jack's half (left).  The subtitles seem to catch it pretty well: "Let's get a move on.  Don't want the Game and Fish to catch us with no elk."   Also, they have captured the flavor of the way they speak:  "Gettin' tired of your dumb ass missin'."  "Let's git..."  It seems they have done a nice job.  

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:43:38 pm by rtprod »

Offline littledarlin

• darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:43:56 pm »
i can't remember which viewing it was, but i moved from the "sorry/salright" camp to the "salright/salright" camp a while back.  it's very clear on the right sound system.  sorry :(  i'm a traitor.
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:45:17 pm »
he says "lie back"?? that blows my mind! I expected some variation of the "I'm sorry, It's alright" thingie but I never expected that  ???

I can't wait to watch it!!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 08:48:04 pm »
Nope I didn't get my hands on one, but I did see the movie in a theatre today. I'm going to buy the DVD this weekend.

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • First Kisses
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 08:49:04 pm »
he says "lie back"?? that blows my mind! I expected some variation of the "I'm sorry, It's alright" thingie but I never expected that  ???

I can't wait to watch it!!

Hmm...he doesn't really say it, I don't think.  It's almost like a make-believe quote they stuck in there.

the Academy screener doesn't have any subtitles or I would have clarified this silly mess long ago...

What I'm trying to get over, the difference between the screener and the DVD, is that silly line of text isn't there saying it's not for public broadcast!  I always expect it to be there!

Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

rtprod

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:49:39 pm »
I'm still in the "sorry" and "it's all right" camp.  not sure why jack would say "it's all right" three times out of the blue without some trigger.  in the moment, i don't think he would have said any words unless something compelled him to speak, such as Ennis' apology.  

But I might be wrong and spending my two cents on the wrong interpretation.  

rtprod

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 08:53:15 pm »
But wait -- you never see Ennis' lips move here, and it could easily all come from Jack. 

So we still don't know for absolute certain!   ???

rtprod

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 08:54:01 pm »
Brandon -- happy you have access and thought maybe you didn't. 

I was going to ship you one FedEx!

rt

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 08:55:33 pm »
Hi RTprod,

I won't say anything else but this:

I think if Jack is saying "s'alright,s'alright, It's alright" . It's perfectly understandable why to me. He's calming a skittish horse. Ennis.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 08:59:14 pm »
Also, the subtitles show Jack saying "give em hell"  to Ennis when they're drunk.  Wasn't there a discussion about that with Julie?
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 09:15:45 pm »
"Give 'em hell" is definitely there. Caught that a while ago.

Heathen

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 09:18:58 pm »
Yeah he goes I'm gonna go up to the sheep now..give em hell.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 09:21:14 pm »
I was experimenting with the subtitles today too - I had never heard the "c'mon lie back" before and was totally shocked to see it in the subtitles, but I turned the surround on as loud as I could and it IS there, but faintly.  I am also in the "I'm sorry, s'alright" camp.  To me, it's two I'm sorrys followed by an It's alright, and all coming from Jack.  I know it makes more sense if Ennis says I'm sorry, but his lips don't move at all there.

My interpretation is that Jack is apologizing for maybe pushing Ennis into something that he wasn't totally ready for, but then saying "It's alright" as a way to calm the "skittish horse" as Paul called Ennis.  Followed by "C'mon, lie back".  Obviously this is something that everyone will interpret for themselves (proven time and time again on every board we've argued this point on, lol).  That's just my take on the scene.   
   Cowboys do it better

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 09:23:54 pm »
OK, so, I watched that scene about fifteen times with my volume to the max and focusing each time on just one of them. Ennis' mouth is completely closed, shut, lips zipped together when the supposable "I'm sorry" is uttered. On the other hand, one can see Jack's mouth move slightly, not too much, since, at the first "It's alright" he barely whispers. You see his mouth move again, the same way, when the second "It's alright", more distinct, is said and then the third one is really clear.
As much as Ennis saying "I'm sorry" makes sense to me from a logical p.o.v., I  neither heard, nor saw him saying it.

Tried to hear the "Lie back. Come on.", but all I got is some undistinguishable whisper/breathing, that kinda sounded like "Lie back", but no "Come on".

"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 09:45:15 pm »
Ah, the controversy continues.  Well, we knew that would happen.   :P

Does 'C'mon lie back' make sense though?

Isn't it Jack who lies down on his back, then finally rolls Ennis over?

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 10:06:12 pm »
hrm, as far as bad subtitling goes, the Malaysian one is more fun.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 11:07:49 pm »
Oh, do tell about the Malaysian one, starbie.  Those can be hilarious.  ;D

As for the great debate, I've decided it will always remain one of the Sacred Mysteries.   Each individual who listens with a pure heart will be rewarded in his/her own fashion.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 11:10:46 pm by meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 11:10:59 pm »
Meryl - check out hungry_hungryhippos thread "Brokeback Through The Looking Glass" - it's hilarious and all about the Malaysian interpretation.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 11:40:34 pm »
I know I've asked this before but I don't remember where, so I can't go back and look...
Where does Jack say give 'em hell?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 11:43:25 pm »
When Ennis is drunk, lying on the ground and says he's going back up to the sheep. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 02:13:41 am »
My two cents:

1. Jack says "s'allright" three times.  I'm convinced.  Just me, but still . . .

2. PLEASE do NOT let Surf501 see this thread - he WILL have an aneurysm and bleed out on his Mac and we will be responsible!  (Apologies, K!)
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 02:53:03 am »

hehehe... I stand by my Malaysian subtitles!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Ennis's supposed "I'm sorry" - gosh, wouldn't we all love him to say that?  Makes so much sense and while his mouth doesn't have to move (i've tried this 50+ times in front of a mirror) you CAN say "sorry" without moving your lips at all, but your mouth needs to be OPEN.

Ennis's mouth isn't open, from what I can tell.  I'm still in the s'alright x3 camp as well.

And uhhh.. if my lovely friends to the north can get subtitling SO wrong, then who's to say the manufacturers of rtprod's copy fare any better??  ;D

More subtitles to come tonight guys..
Chut up!

vkm91941

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 05:32:13 am »
i can't remember which viewing it was, but i moved from the "sorry/salright" camp to the "salright/salright" camp a while back.  it's very clear on the right sound system.  sorry :(  i'm a traitor.

I'm a traitor too Andrew.  As I've shared I've watched it 4 times in a brand new state of the art theater with good screen quality and sound.  Ennis's mouth doesn't move.  It's Jack who says "saright, salright" twice  in obivious response to the combination of fear and apology  he sees in Ennis's face.  BUt let the debate rage..I love it.

Offline littledarlin

• darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 11:08:50 am »
I'm a traitor too Andrew.  As I've shared I've watched it 4 times in a brand new state of the art theater with good screen quality and sound.  Ennis's mouth doesn't move.  It's Jack who says "saright, salright" twice  in obivious response to the combination of fear and apology  he sees in Ennis's face.  BUt let the debate rage..I love it.

i love it too!  just the idea of ennis apologizing for his actions... haha i don't know why but it just seems so SWEET!  i say argue on.  but deep down we all know what it really is :P  we just don't have to accept it lol
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 11:35:17 am »
Listen to Meryl, the all wise, all knowing High Priestess of Brokebackism:

"As for the great debate, I've decided it will always remain one of the Sacred Mysteries.   Each individual who listens with a pure heart will be rewarded in his/her own fashion."

Amen. I mean, Yahoo.

One more thing--before you put too much credence in the English subtitles, do see how they have rendered one of our very favorite lines:

"Man, that's more words than you've spoke in the last two weeks."

I mean, really. The help these days....
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 11:39:26 am »
I might be able to go along with "Sorry, S'alright, S'alright." but I just can't accept "Lie down, come on." You'd have to open and move your mouth to say those things, and Jack's mouth quite clearly shut.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 11:39:36 am »
(kiss)

I haven't seen the movie on DVD because it's not out in Spain yet  :(, but I have seen the movie with subtitles in Spanish several times and the above was on the subtitles except that Jack doesn't say "Lie back, come on"
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

rtprod

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 11:48:29 am »
I can't see Ennis' mouth move really either.  However, it never moves much anyway, and this would be muttered/whispered anyway, rather than formally spoken.  And you can actually say "sorry" without moving your lips -- try it!   ;D

I'm having a hard time with 3 all rights -- seems redundant.  I can maybe buy Jack saying "sorry, it's all right, it's all right."  But then I could be way off here--and that's the fun of this topic, and why it's lasted so many months here... 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:00:58 pm by rtprod »