Author Topic: Are "Dallas Buyers Club" critics guilty of "respectability homophobia"?  (Read 11888 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2013/11/07/dallas_buyers_club_gay_representation_and_history_is_rayon_a_pathetic_queer.html

Nov. 7 2013 4:22 PM
Does Dallas Buyers Club Have a "Pathetic Queer" Problem? 
By J. Bryan Lowder

Dallas Buyers Club is not a perfect movie. In its portrayal of Ron Woodroof—a homophobic, hard-living roughneck who, after learning he has AIDS in the mid-1980s and finding the FDA’s slow progress on treatment unsatisfactory, organizes a “buyers club” to smuggle experimental drugs in from around the world for himself and anyone able to pay the $400 monthly “subscription fee”—it leans a bit heavily on a hokey (and historically inaccurate) rodeo metaphor to symbolize Woodroof’s struggle. Also, its realization of characters within the medical establishment is perhaps a bit flat. Overall, though, I have to agree with Slate’s Dana Stevens: As a portrait of a complicated man who finds himself caught in an extreme historical moment, Dallas Buyers Club “feels right just as it is.”

What the movie does not feel, at all, is somehow problematic with regard to its treatment of queer characters or the larger AIDS crisis; and yet, some strange complaints in that vein have emerged. In a weirdly hostile review in Deadspin, for instance, Will Leitch dismissed DBC as “gay history for straight people,” while referring incorrectly to Jared Leto’s character, Rayon, as Ron’s “best-pal gay” who plays it “three or four octaves too high.” Rayon is a transgender straight woman, of course, and, given the relative nuance of Leto’s portrayal of her, one wonders how “low” a person’s gender performance octave needs to be to garner Leitch’s approval.

But correct identities aside, the larger argument that DBC somehow represents an incomplete, dumbed-down, or more palatable version of “gay history” is gaining traction. Most notable are a pair of articles by Daniel D’Addario of Salon.

In the first, he accuses the movie of being anti-science in its praise of the buyers club model and wholesale condemnation of the FDA, going on to argue that “its focus is so laserlike upon a particular character, and a particular time period, as to create a simplistic impression of a remarkably complicated time.” I might concede the first point if I didn’t think it is always useful to remind people that the pristine “scientific method” (of which D’Addario seems so protective) is very often corrupted by the very fallible people executing it—as was absolutely true in the case of early AIDS research. But the second point, that the movie oversimplifies and perhaps focuses on the wrong players in the AIDS crisis, is just bizarre. Aren’t narrative films, especially about sweeping historical events, only ever effective when they focus on particular characters and time periods to “create a simplistic impression of a remarkably complicated time?”

Indeed, the very conventions of the genre require that kind of pruning; if you want the thoroughness of a documentary, stick with How to Survive a Plague (which, incidentally, Leitch and D’Addario both hold up to DBC as if the comparison were somehow useful). By contrast, DBC is clearly a limited character study, and the character in question happens to be straight, homophobic, and interested in the gay community only insofar as they represent a large part of his customer base. As a member of that community, it was certainly upsetting to see family treated with such utilitarian coolness—but it would never have occurred to me to let that discomfort color my judgment of the movie on the terms it sets out.

Let’s be clear: Those terms are not about heroism or even really about a particularly sympathetic portrayal of gay people. Though the real Ron Woodroof eventually did become involved in some amount of pro-gay activism, the character we have here never “grows” much beyond a businesslike tolerance of his customers. All of his actions are performed in the service of self-preservation, and for that, he remains at the end of the film an unsettlingly and compellingly ambivalent figure. Even the warming of his relationship with Rayon—particularly in a grocery store scene in which Ron defends his business partner against a former friend’s insults—is clearly due to the specificity of that (again mostly business) relationship: We’re in the land of kinship here, not ideological enlightenment.

And speaking of Rayon, is she really as pathetic as D'Addario suggests in his second article, constructed primarily of a highly ungenerous reading of Jared Leto’s (irrelevant, in my opinion) comments to the press? It’s true that Rayon “is entirely self-destructive, continuing to abuse intravenous drugs long after diagnosis.” But does this mean that we can, as D’Addario insists, only understand her in terms of “pity, mild revulsion, and distance?” That sounds like a personal hang-up to me. To the contrary, I left the film feeling that Rayon was one of the most subtly and convincingly realized queer characters I had ever seen: She possesses, like most people, a mix of virtues and vices; she has love in her life, both from a boyfriend and, in their own, very queer way, from Woodroof; and her motivations are nearly as self-interested as his are, albeit softened by her relationship to the gay community. In fact, this particular composite character’s presence in DBC is the right fit precisely because of her tragic flaws—a more noble or “presentable” queer person would never have been interested in working with Woodroof in the first place.

In the end, this is really a question of representation: When a particular historical event is thought to “belong” to a certain group, how much freedom do artists have in portraying it? Must movies or other art about AIDS always focus on gay people? Woodroof was a real person who suffered, fought, and eventually died from the disease. He was also straight. Is it then categorically “wrong” or a waste of resources to present his story while countless others remain untold? Similarly, Rayon, though not biographically real, is a compelling queer character. But, with the stakes of representation seemingly so steep, are we no longer allowed to appreciate queer characters who happen to be sad or messy or living their lives “three or four octaves too high”?

I hope that’s not the case, not least because it smacks of an insidious breed of “respectability” homophobia. But more important, the notion that art about AIDS or any other fraught topic must meet a list of pre-determined political criteria—lest it be deemed “deeply flawed”—sounds not only chilling, but also terribly boring. It should go without saying that Ron Woodroof’s story does not stand in for the full experience of the AIDS crisis, gay or straight; to criticize it for failing to do what no single story ever could is downright bullheaded. 

J. Bryan Lowder is the assistant editor of Outward, Slate’s LGBTQ section, and the editorial assistant for culture.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Are "Dallas Buyers Club" critics guilty of "respectability homophobia"?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:22 pm »
Good article.  I liked this especially.

When a particular historical event is thought to “belong” to a certain group, how much freedom do artists have in portraying it? Must movies or other art about AIDS always focus on gay people? Woodroof was a real person who suffered, fought, and eventually died from the disease. He was also straight. Is it then categorically “wrong” or a waste of resources to present his story while countless others remain untold?

I don't agree that historical events 'belong' to anyone nor does art.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »
Good article.  I liked this especially.

When a particular historical event is thought to “belong” to a certain group, how much freedom do artists have in portraying it? Must movies or other art about AIDS always focus on gay people? Woodroof was a real person who suffered, fought, and eventually died from the disease. He was also straight. Is it then categorically “wrong” or a waste of resources to present his story while countless others remain untold?

I don't agree that historical events 'belong' to anyone nor does art.

Exactly. The world has been effected by AIDS, and there a millions of stories to tell from millions of perspectives. Yes, the gay community might have been most heavily impacted in the beginning...at least in the West. Nowadays its the under-served minority communities in the US where HIV infections are growing. China and India are seeing rising infection rates too. And let's not forget about countries in Africa where the disease has had a foothold since the very beginning of the epidemic.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:23:11 pm »
But, with the stakes of representation seemingly so steep, are we no longer allowed to appreciate queer characters who happen to be sad or messy or living their lives “three or four octaves too high”?

I hope that’s not the case, not least because it smacks of an insidious breed of “respectability” homophobia.

No matter what group we're talking about: blacks, latinos, sexual minorities....what have you...there are always going to be people who are dissatisfied with media depictions of those who might be considered too far from the center of that group. I remember the days when professional-class blacks would cringe and complain at characterizations of drug dealers, and ghetto life. That element is still present in the media, but nowadays, the media presents a more balanced diet of African-Americans. So its not surprising to see the same thing going on with sexual minorities. Because--as it was with blacks--any depiction at all was relatively scare, sexual minorities naturally want to be depicted in the best light possible. Knowing that is not always realistic, I think that sexual minorities can survive the cringe phase, and be hopeful that balance will come over time.

And I don't buy the “respectability homophobia" concept. Just as there were white people who were (and still are) able to distinguish between differing types of blacks without being called racist, heteros should be able to distinguish between differing types of sexual minorities without being labeled "homophobic."
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:11:12 pm »
And I don't buy the “respectability homophobia" concept. Just as there were white people who were (and still are) able to distinguish between differing types of blacks without being called racist, heteros should be able to distinguish between differing types of sexual minorities without being labeled "homophobic."

I'm not sure I get your point. White people should distinguish, and heterosexuals should distinguish. But of course there are lots of people in both groups who can't or won't, possibly because they aren't exposed to a wide enough range of types in whatever minority group it is. And a lot of public exposure these days inevitably comes from the media.

So intelligent, well-informed people distinguish. When the article refers to "respectability homophobia" it's talking about people who don't just distinguish, but also believe only the "respectable" version should be presented in the media. They might argue that it's to educate the aforementioned ignorant white or straight people who don't know any better.

It's an understandable and well-intentioned motivation, but in finding the less "respectable" version of whatever group unfit for media presentation, they're also expressing bias and, if in a position to do so, practicing discrimination against that group of people. Lack of prejudice means being able to accept flawed people as well as perfect ones, and not thinking that either one represents the group as a whole.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:04:41 am »
I'm not sure I get your point. White people should distinguish, and heterosexuals should distinguish. But of course there are lots of people in both groups who can't or won't, possibly because they aren't exposed to a wide enough range of types in whatever minority group it is. And a lot of public exposure these days inevitably comes from the media.

So intelligent, well-informed people distinguish. When the article refers to "respectability homophobia" it's talking about people who don't just distinguish, but also believe only the "respectable" version should be presented in the media. They might argue that it's to educate the aforementioned ignorant white or straight people who don't know any better.

It's an understandable and well-intentioned motivation, but in finding the less "respectable" version of whatever group unfit for media presentation, they're also expressing bias and, if in a position to do so, practicing discrimination against that group of people. Lack of prejudice means being able to accept flawed people as well as perfect ones, and not thinking that either one represents the group as a whole.

To clarify my point, I would say that I disagree that accepting the flawed individuals is required. You see, the prejudice is no longer centered on the race or sexual orientation, but rather on the character/behavioral/etc. flaw in question. Once one removes race or sexual orientation as the deciding factor, the decision can no longer be called racist or homophobic.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:32:20 am »
To clarify my point, I would say that I disagree that accepting the flawed individuals is required. You see, the prejudice is no longer centered on the race or sexual orientation, but rather on the character/behavioral/etc. flaw in question. Once one removes race or sexual orientation as the deciding factor, the decision can no longer be called racist or homophobic.

If we were talking about whether you like somebody, then of course you would be entitled to make that judgment based on a potentially infinite number of factors.

But what this article is about -- and what I meant when I said "accept flawed people" -- is whether it's OK to show flawed people as members of minorities in movies (whether DBC is "problematic with regard to its treatment of queer characters," and more generally about "the notion that art about AIDS or any other fraught topic must meet a list of pre-determined political criteria").

Walter White is a flawed person. But nobody's complaining that Breaking Bad is "problematic with regard to its treatment of straight white men" or that Walter White unfairly makes white men as a group look like ruthless drug kingpins.

With minority groups, people are understandably more sensitive, because their media portrayals have been scarcer. But this writer is arguing that viewers should get over their political correctness and accept characters of all kinds -- not as best friends, necessarily, but as valid characters.

In short, you may or may not like people like Rayon for whatever reason. But the author is arguing that those aren't valid reasons to say filmmaker should not make a movie featuring Rayon as a major character because it's "bad for the gays."

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:58:11 am by serious crayons »

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
I wonder if it might be helpful to look at the Lowder article as being in 2 parts.  In the first, he pretty well makes his point that DBC should and can be seen as accomplishing its purpose in presenting real characters living out difficult lives, and this being shown in an acceptable way regardless of how PC it may be.  But then Lowder slips in the final paragraph about "respectability" homophobia which has caused all the fuss.  I think serious crayons has summed up Lowder's second point very well:

Where I part company with her is her sentence "With minority groups people are understandably more sensitive because their media portrayals have been scarcer."  I wonder if "scarcer" really captures the entire issue.  I fear that some people will see "respectability homophobia" as focusing on questions of artistic authenticity or aesthetic distaste for stereotypical portrayals of LGBTs on some very intellectualized level.  I don't think that is why many of us are apprehensive when confronting portrayals of our LGBT brothers and sisters as troubled, desperately unhappy, freaks.  These portrayals are "scarcer" as serious crayons says, but this scarcity leads other people to generalize these specific incidences to LGBT people in general.  This, in turn, leads to an acceptance of homophobia when these people, I might as well say it, when many straight people, make judgements about equal marriage, gay-bashings, and whether or not the situation for us now in Eastern Europe, Africa, the Arab World, much of Asia, and parts of the US is really all that much to be worried about.

Lowder seems to be trying to go beyond this kind of paranoia--although many of us would say "legitimate concern."  He is asking for a great deal of trust on the part of the groups affected, and contains the optimistic view that we are all headed into the "broad uplands of a brighter tomorrow."

Serious crayons' point that "in finding the less 'respectable' versions of whatever group unfit for media presentation, they're also expressing bias, and if in a position to do so, practicing discrimination against that group of people," is at first compelling, but are the right words being used here?  "If in a position to do so, practicing discrimination?"  Hold on a minute.  First of all, they are NOT in a position to do so, and being 5% of the population, never will be, and more importantly, any such discrimination you might imagine would be  a reluctance to show LGBTs as stereotypical and clownlike disgusting perverts, and in a  very real way to try to avoid the actual discrimination that leads to the dangers we all know really exist out there for all of us in that community.

In this thread, comparisons and contrasts have been made with gays and blacks.  I think a more proximate comparison would be between LGBTs and Jews.  The Holocaust was 60 years ago; times have changed supposedly.  But would any serious person complain about a Jew taking offence at seeing Jews being portrayed on the screen as deceitful, money-grubbing "kikes?"

I have toned down my rhetoric regarding straight people, but still I ask you to be more patient with LGBT people who do not think it is time yet to be so forthcoming about the imperfections we all certainly do know exist within our community.  Not all of us are as confident as Lowder seems to be.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:29 am »
Where I part company with her is her sentence "With minority groups people are understandably more sensitive because their media portrayals have been scarcer."  I wonder if "scarcer" really captures the entire issue.  I fear that some people will see "respectability homophobia" as focusing on questions of artistic authenticity or aesthetic distaste for stereotypical portrayals of LGBTs on some very intellectualized level.  I don't think that is why many of us are apprehensive when confronting portrayals of our LGBT brothers and sisters as troubled, desperately unhappy, freaks.  These portrayals are "scarcer" as serious crayons says, but this scarcity leads other people to generalize these specific incidences to LGBT people in general.  This, in turn, leads to an acceptance of homophobia when these people, I might as well say it, when many straight people, make judgements about equal marriage, gay-bashings, and whether or not the situation for us now in Eastern Europe, Africa, the Arab World, much of Asia, and parts of the US is really all that much to be worried about.

I don't really understand this, I guess. But I will say that I don't think I've seen many media portrayals of LGBT characters as "troubled, desperately unhappy freaks." Could we be talking about a sort of dated genre? When I think of stereotyped media portrayals of LGBT characters, I think of "Will and Grace" -- glib, funny, nonserious. Perhaps those portrayals are offensive in themselves, but they're a long way from "The Boys in the Band."

But x-man, are you saying you DO find Rayon's character unacceptable? When I first posted this article, I hadn't seen the movie. Now I have, and I can say that I found Rayon's character very sympathetic, and an appealing foil to the Ron Woodruff character. I don't think the movie would have been the same without her. Yes, she's a drug addict, but I wouldn't describe her as a freak.

Serious crayons' point that "in finding the less 'respectable' versions of whatever group unfit for media presentation, they're also expressing bias, and if in a position to do so, practicing discrimination against that group of people," is at first compelling, but are the right words being used here?  "If in a position to do so, practicing discrimination?"  Hold on a minute.  First of all, they are NOT in a position to do so, and being 5% of the population, never will be, and more importantly, any such discrimination you might imagine would be  a reluctance to show LGBTs as stereotypical and clownlike disgusting perverts, and in a  very real way to try to avoid the actual discrimination that leads to the dangers we all know really exist out there for all of us in that community.

By "if in a position to do so" I meant if they make films, write books, etc. People, gay or straight, who are in a position to present LGBT characters in the media.

In this thread, comparisons and contrasts have been made with gays and blacks.  I think a more proximate comparison would be between LGBTs and Jews.  The Holocaust was 60 years ago; times have changed supposedly.  But would any serious person complain about a Jew taking offence at seeing Jews being portrayed on the screen as deceitful, money-grubbing "kikes?"

Whoa!! Are we even still talking about DBC here? It's hard to imagine anyone seeing it and thinking of Rayon's character as a "clownlike disgusting pervert" or the gay equivalent of a "deceitful, money-grubbing 'k---.'" Aside from being a drug addict, she's appealing, funny, dignified, smart, highly sympathetic. She is shown winning over two straight people, one of whom is a blatant homophobe. She's hardly the gay version of Dickens' Fagin.

I get the feeling you're thinking of something different from what this conversation was initially about. We're talking about whether movies should occasionally contain warts-and-all portrayals of gay characters, not insidious homophobic propaganda.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »
Unfortunately "warts and all" can sometimes look like "insidious homophobic propaganda," but that's life, I guess.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.