Author Topic: Zero at the Bone by MadLori  (Read 220978 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Zero at the Bone by MadLori
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 01:36:23 pm »
Jack being so doctory!  I liked that a lot!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 01:43:03 pm »
Jack being so doctory!  I liked that a lot!

Oh me too, Louise! I loved it! It was just great the way he took charge like that. Thought it was sexy as hell! I hope they'll be able to have a few days of peace once they get to Tahoe.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 02:54:47 pm »

Chapter 6 is up:

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/66656.html

SPOILER:

Nothing like a good case of sepsis to throw an unlikely pair together!  I am inevitably reminded of the scene in "The Fugitive" where Dr. Kimble sneaks into the hospital to find the One Armed Man, reads an X-ray and changes the orders on an emergency patient before getting found out and chased from the hospital.  Dr. Jack Twist - The Fugitive!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 03:10:09 pm »

Nothing like a good case of sepsis to throw an unlikely pair together!  I am inevitably reminded of the scene in "The Fugitive" where Dr. Kimble sneaks into the hospital to find the One Armed Man, reads an X-ray and changes the orders on an emergency patient before getting found out and chased from the hospital.  Dr. Jack Twist - The Fugitive!

I was inspired a bit by that movie, although not that scene specifically...more the earlier scene, right after the crash,w hen he sneaks into a hospital, steals an old guy's food and clothes, shaves and treats his own wound.

Although Jack won't need to steal anyone's clothes or food.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 04:15:43 am »

Chapter 6 is up:

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/66656.html

SPOILER:

i am liking this tale more with each chapter...the scary stuff is getting thick, and hard to shake.  i am however leery of jack just waltzing into a hospital and trying not to get caught, whilst snatching some illegal drug supplies....what about feed and grain store, they always have that stuff on hand for animals, and if you get them there its easy. no jail involved..

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 09:19:44 am »
  i am liking this tale more with each chapter...the scary stuff is getting thick, and hard to shake.  i am however leery of jack just waltzing into a hospital and trying not to get caught, whilst snatching some illegal drug supplies....what about feed and grain store, they always have that stuff on hand for animals, and if you get them there its easy. no jail involved..

The drugs in a hospital aren't illegal, but stealing them is. The feed and grain store is an interesting idea, but I don't believe that animals get vaccinated for tetanus, so I am not sure tetanus toxoid would be available. And are prescription medications (such as an antibiotic) sold at feed and grain stores? In my experience, the vet has all medications needed on hand. I had one time where she wrote a prescription and I had it filled at the drug store (this was for my dog).

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 09:41:34 am »
you can get penicillin for horses, I know, without it being prescribed, but . at a feed store?  No... I never saw it there.

And... while I am thinking about it - since I am allergic to about 12 antibiotics:  shouldn't Jack have asked D if he was allergic to any specific antibiotics before he stuck him full of what he had in his bag?  If he had done that to me it would be the last chapter of the story.  And a LOT of people are allergic to the penicillin/ampicillin type.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 07:35:09 pm »
you can get penicillin for horses, I know, without it being prescribed, but . at a feed store?  No... I never saw it there.

And... while I am thinking about it - since I am allergic to about 12 antibiotics:  shouldn't Jack have asked D if he was allergic to any specific antibiotics before he stuck him full of what he had in his bag?  If he had done that to me it would be the last chapter of the story.  And a LOT of people are allergic to the penicillin/ampicillin type.
   i have bought dog medicine there and my daughter has despensed it to the animals...so yes they have it here...but maybe not everywhere.  it wasnt tetanus, but yes on the antibiotics. for sure

Beautiful mind

yb

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006, 04:36:59 am »
Lori

Just stop by to say that I'm half way through the 6 chapters you have posted so far and I like it a lot.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2006, 10:13:42 pm »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!