Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101490 times)

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #440 on: May 17, 2014, 08:38:23 pm »
It is slight, but I thought it was because of the camera angle; again, it's how each person views it.  I saw him nod "yes" from my first viewing.

So do you think Marc was still denying Kay, and his feelings for him, at this time?  If there was a part 2, what would you like to see?  How would you like to see it played out?

Mariska - you, too,   If Lacant decided to do part 2 and came to you for input, what would you like to see?
It could be played several ways. It would nice to see a happier ending when Marc is able to be a part of his son's life and may another go with Kay but there'd have to be a struggle to get there or there would be not enough there for a good film.  I can also see the thread where Marc and Brittina reunite but Marc is never really happy or one with the world. So many routes.  V
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #441 on: May 17, 2014, 08:53:10 pm »
Marc's confrontation with Gregor served a couple of things  foremost I saw it as a way to get Gregor booted for his homophobic behavior as the had already been warned. I also see it as Marc admitting to himself that Kay was not just an affair that means little.  That's where he began to realize this by standing up for Kay he was more committed than he thought defending Kay is a stronger statement from Marc than we've seen. V
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #442 on: May 18, 2014, 10:17:37 am »
and may another go with Kay but there'd have to be a struggle to get there or there would be not enough there for a good film.

I Agree! Maybe my "part 2" sounded a little too romantic, but you mention in one sentence what I meant.

As far as Bettina and his son concerns as I see it: there will be visiting and financial arrangements. I don't see why he can't be a part of his son's life, even if it's not daily.
For me his relationship with Bettina is over and closed in part 1. From the moment Kay came in his life, the scenes showed us how Marc's feelings for Bettina changed more and more. Probably he still loves her in a certain way but I think the intimate part of their relationship is over. And...even at the start of the movie Marc's so-called happy family life seemed a little boring, oppresive, superficial happiness.

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #443 on: May 18, 2014, 10:59:09 am »
I agree, Marc and Bettina are probably over. 

Yes, there must be conflict in order to have an interesting story.  I can see incorporating flashbacks of their time together from part one, letting us see what was really between them to cause such a love to flourish, and to cause such upheaval and change in Marc. 

I’d love to see how the relationship developed, (as a flashback from part one), have them talking together, not necessarily just talking about themselves and the problems they were going through, but likes and dislikes they shared – movies, books, even food – everyday things that would add a dimension to their characters.  Although Marc wasn’t much for talking, so that might be a short scene  :).  And if Marc is finally free to be himself, he might open up and we could see a lot more changes to his personality in part two.

And I wouldn’t rule out a love scene or two  :)
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #444 on: May 18, 2014, 11:36:05 am »
Wow, interesting approach Nancy (the flashbacks), I'll repond later.
You're only very thrifty with the lovescenes  :P.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #445 on: May 18, 2014, 02:43:01 pm »
As for conflict/struggle in their relationship, one direction is Marc's jealousy.   Albeit a cliché, it exists on some level in a lot of relationships, it already reared its ugly head in Kay's apartment.  And if Marc and Kay do decide to try it on, Kay will be so much more accustomed to the lifestyle - Marc would have a lot of learning and growing to do, I can see lots of friction there.  

Kay has already been patient with Marc, but he'd have to know that he would be the "leader" (I hesitate to use that word, but he will be showing Marc a lot about something with which Marc has no experience), and allow for mistakes on both sides.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #446 on: May 18, 2014, 03:30:32 pm »
Or, the difficulties could be around the fact that Bettina won't let Marc see his son.  She's so bitter, even more so if she finds out that Marc and Kay are together, that she tries to legally keep him from having visitation rights.  This would cause conflict, not only between Marc & Bettina, but Marc & Kay, as they try to get used to being together, at the same time having to deal with this outside problem.  I don't know anything about German law in this matter.  

But I think Bettina could feel so betrayed that she would go in this direction, at least until she had enough time to get over it, and realize that keeping her son away from his father is more of a punishment for the boy than for Marc.  It could also be played out in a positive light, so it would end well.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #447 on: May 18, 2014, 04:55:02 pm »
Or, the difficulties could be around the fact that Bettina won't let Marc see his son.  She's so bitter, even more so if she finds out that Marc and Kay are together, that she tries to legally keep him from having visitation rights.  This would cause conflict, not only between Marc & Bettina, but Marc & Kay, as they try to get used to being together, at the same time having to deal with this outside problem.  I don't know anything about German law in this matter.  

But I think Bettina could feel so betrayed that she would go in this direction, at least until she had enough time to get over it, and realize that keeping her son away from his father is more of a punishment for the boy than for Marc.  It could also be played out in a positive light, so it would end well.

I think, if this would be the case, there's no room for Kay at all in the story. That's such a heavy sitiuation for a father. Marc would do anything to see his son. Except that: I don't know how this works in the USA, but in the Netherlands is almost impossible to legally keep a father from having visitation rights. Being unfaithful or having homosexual contacts makes him not a bad father. (Hopefully in the US the same?).

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #448 on: May 18, 2014, 04:58:35 pm »
Nancy: Someone is watching freier fall and twittering about it. I found out that you don't need a twitter account to read other open accounts.
If you google: twitter @jonhamms you see his account.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #449 on: May 18, 2014, 05:09:58 pm »
Another question in a review: would this movie be as good as it is with other actors?
My answer: not a chance.
The chemistry between Max/Hanno is unique and that's what makes the movie so credible and intense.