Author Topic: Michelle Williams as Sally Bowles in the revival of “Cabaret” at Studio 54  (Read 20576 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I was interested as I will be in New York from June 16 to 21 but I see the cheapest seats are $230.  I hope to see some shows mainly by queuing at Halftix.  I have just this week paid about $130 each for medium range seats  to The Lion King in Washington (Sunday June 22) and La Traviata in San Francisco (Friday July 11).  I love Cabaret but cannot afford that and I would, probably unfairly, be comparing Michelle with the marvellous Liza Minelli.

wow....didn't realize they were that expensive.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I have just looked at some other sites and there are seats in the mezzanine for around $105. I will have to think about it.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I need to find out about the theater and where the stage door is, and hope to get there and see Michelle.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
I need to find out about the theater and where the stage door is, and hope to get there and see Michelle.

Chuck, the theater is the (in)famous Studio 54 at 254 West 54th Street.

It is on the South side of 54th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue, near 8th Avenue. There is a big parking garage immediately to the right of the theater marquee, and you can walk all the way through to 53rd Street--turn left, and you are looking at the back of the theater. There are a lot of doors that open onto 53rd Street--some of the audience exits that way after the performance.

http://www.stagescape.net/stage-doors-on-broadway.html

Studio 54
"Tricky one:  The entrance to the theater is on 54th St. but the stage door is on 53rd St. just to the left as you exit that side of the theater.  If you exit on 54th, turn left at 8th Ave. and then left again at 53rd and go up the block and it will be on your left and is marked."

(Actually, I think that last piece of info is incorrect--if you are looking at the back of the theater building, I think the stage door is on the far right.)

Good luck!

Michelle Williams - Signing Autographs at "Cabaret" Q & A in NYC
TopPix Autographs
Michelle Williams is seen signing autographs at a Q & A for "Cabaret" on Broadway in New York City.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
http://www.vogue.com/magazine/article/michelle-williams-cabaret-broadway/#1

Michelle Williams
Is Back on Broadway—
and Starring in Cabaret

by Adam Green
March 31, 2014 10:00a.m.

Practice Makes Perfect: Williams, between rehearsals, in a Cadolle bustier. Velvet coat
from New York Vintage Inc. VBH ring with black diamonds. Boots from Early Halloween, NYC.
Hair: Orlando Pita for Orlo Salon. Makeup, Angela Levin for Chanel Beauté. Fashion Editor:
Phyllis Posnick. Production design, Piers Hanmer
Photographed by Craig McDean, Vogue, April 2014

Michelle Williams may be a movie star, but she got her start on the boards with a San Diego youth theater, appearing in The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, and Sleeping Beauty. At ten, she performed a solo turn in a show-tune revue, taking center stage to belt the defiant title anthem from Cabaret, the 1966 musical about nightlife and Nazism in Weimar Berlin. “I’ve thankfully blocked out most of the details,” Williams says now, “but I do remember that I sang a very cheery version of the song—and that I wore a sequined tuxedo jacket.”

Some 23 years later, the Oscar-nominated star of Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine, and My Week with Marilyn is getting another crack at the number—minus the sequins—as she makes her Broadway debut in the Roundabout Theatre Company’s revival. Which is why a recent afternoon finds her in a Times Square rehearsal studio running through “Don’t Tell Mama,” one of the many gems from Kander and Ebb’s mordantly jazzy score. Sitting next to an upright piano and wearing a pointy wool cap, a slouchy T-shirt, patterned leggings, and T-strap Capezios, Williams looks more like a hipster elf turned chorus girl than one of the most radiantly beautiful and gifted screen actresses of our time. But she’s clearly in her element. “I love this room—I love that it has no mirrors, and I love the lack of self-consciousness that lives in it,” she says. “I imagine a sign over the door that says, Mistakes Are Made Here. With movies, each day you carve something in stone. This is a changing, moving, breathing thing that nobody can pin you to—and that’s a new sensation for me.”

Newness is precisely what Williams brings to this Cabaret, a re-creation of Sam Mendes and Rob Marshall’s Tony-winning 1998 revival, with Alan Cumming reprising his lascivious and sinister turn as the epicene Emcee, who bids us “Willkommen,” and Studio 54 once again standing in for the seedy Kit Kat Klub, a symbol of the frenzied decadence that eased the way for Germany’s descent into madness. Williams’s acting is marked both by its invisibility and by the almost reckless courage with which she inhabits woundedness. It’s hard to imagine anyone bringing a fresher, more penetrating take to Sally Bowles, a wayward English songbird with a bruised spirit who takes up with a bisexual American writer (Bill Heck) and ruins everything. “She has a vulnerability and fragility—but also a kind of steeliness—that I find fascinating,” says Cumming of his costar. “She’s always completely in the moment, and because of that you believe every word that comes out of her mouth.”

Though it’s a role that’s already been claimed by Liza Minnelli (who won an Oscar as Sally in Bob Fosse’s 1972 film version) and reinvented by Natasha Richardson (who won a Tony for her heartbreaking performance in the earlier revival), Williams is undaunted. “A friend told me that when Natasha was debating whether or not to do this role, her mother said, ‘Darling, when they ask you to play Sally Bowles, you play Sally Bowles,’ ” she says. “So I pretended that Vanessa Redgrave was my mother and followed her advice—who knows when the chance will come around again?”

Famous for her obsessive preparation, Williams spent four months before rehearsals working daily with singing and dancing coaches and immersing herself in the late-1920s world of Christopher Isherwood, whose Berlin Stories (along with John Van Druten’s stage adaptation I Am a Camera) inspired the musical. She also studied performance footage of such chanteuses as Marlene Dietrich and Anita Berber and spent a couple of days in Berlin walking the same streets of the Schöneberg that Isherwood haunted, snapping iPhone pics of the apartments where he lived with Jean Ross (his model for Sally Bowles) and spending evenings at Weimar-era dance halls and cabarets populated by aging strippers. “Berlin was the epicenter of sexual freedom,” Williams says. “Everything was permitted, all kinds were allowed—and I’m sure they were having a really great time before evil took root.”

Though loath to pin down the essence of her elusive character, Williams does allow that she’s caught a few glimmers. “She decides she’s going to be billed as ‘The Toast of Mayfair,’ ” Williams says. “That’s what’s going to separate her from the other girls, make her special. It suggests talent, success, elegance. But she’s really just a few steps up from a call girl.” If Sally’s self-deception makes her tragic, her willful blindness to the wider world makes her a symptom of something far worse. “She’s somebody who won’t look past herself,” Williams explains. “As she famously says in the play, ‘Politics? But what has that to do with us?’ At the end, she’s alone, singing onstage while the city burns around her, still waiting to become a star.”

Williams reconnected with her inner showgirl while rehearsing and filming a song medley for My Week with Marilyn and has been keeping her eye out for a musical ever since. “Singing and dancing take you out of your head—you’re too busy doing too many other things to be thinking, How am I doing? You’re just doing. It’s like meditation. When Cabaret came along, with these gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous songs—they’re so simple, but they tap into something deep and emotional—I knew that I wanted to follow that thing I tasted a few years ago.” And how’s that working out? “I haven’t been confronted with the nerves yet, so now the singing is just pure joy,” she says. “Honestly, it feels like being a kid. Now let’s see if I can be a kid onstage eight times a week.”

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"

Studio 54 at 254 West 54th Street.

I'm sure you had no trouble getting past the velvet rope, John. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I love that alleged quote from Vanessa Redgrave: "Darling, when they ask you to play Sally Bowles, you play Sally Bowles."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
I'm sure you had no trouble getting past the velvet rope, John. ...  8)

Ha! I NEVER WENT! AND I COULD HAVE GONE!

A fellow who was an acquaintance who was also an intern who worked where I worked--this was '79 through '84--was ALSO a busboy at Studio!

What. A. Fool!

I did go to Xenon ('78 - '84) though! And the Palladium  ('85 - whenever) AND, of course: Limelight !

"In the film 54 starring Mike Myers the character of Steve Rubell makes comments to his busboys that bad busboys 'go to Xenon.' "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(nightclub)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
"In the film 54 starring Mike Myers the character of Steve Rubell makes comments to his busboys that bad busboys 'go to Xenon.' "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(nightclub)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:

You have my sympathy for your error in judgment, John, but look at this way: At least you had the opportunity to make that mistake. Those of us who were stuck in the backwoods of Pennsyltucky during those years didn't even had the chance to make the mistake!

And did you dance in your swimsuit at Xenon?  8)

• BetterMost Supporter!

:laugh:  :laugh:

You have my sympathy for your error in judgment, John, but look at this way: At least you had the opportunity to make that mistake. Those of us who were stuck in the backwoods of Pennsyltucky during those years didn't even had the chance to make the mistake!

And did you dance in your swimsuit at Xenon?  8)

Oh, I probably looked something like these two on the left:

;D ;D ;D

Actually, my (Early-eighties) club uniform was my go-to-work uniform: white oxford button-down shirt, gray trousers, navy Sperry Top-siders with white laces, BIG tortoise shell frames. Sadly, no Silver Paint!)

"Camping Out"