Author Topic: New revelations about our beloved movie!  (Read 11826 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
New revelations about our beloved movie!
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:10:46 pm »
On this very day, I've come to realise some new interesting interpretations of our beloved movie. I've gained insight in areas that have been hitherto unknown to us.
I will now reveal to you what has been revealed to me.

Insight number one:

Ennis is the son of Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia, daughter of Tsar Nicholas II. There are so many hidden proofs of this fact.
As we all know, she escaped the Bolsheviks when the rest of her royal family were killed in 1918. There were lots of rumours at the time that she, in fact, escaped to America. What would be more natural than her hiding way the hell out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and marrying a local? Of course she would do anything to protect herself and her children from being found by the Bolsheviks.

So, how do we know that Ennis is her son?
Well, the most obvious proof is the nosebleed Ennis gets from the mild punch Jack gives him. The Tsar family were bleeders, and the nosebleed is Ang's way of pointing our attention to that fact. Why else would Ennis bleed from such a mild and friendly punch?
There's also the fact that only when Ennis sees his own blood does he get really angry and strikes Jack a really hard punch in return. Why? Because blood is red, and the red colour of his blood reminds Ennis of the horror stories his mother would tell him about the Communists that killed all her family.

One more proof is Ennis' name. Just think of it. Wyoming has no coast. Why would his parents give him a name that means 'island of the sea', if it wasn't for the fact that the name Ennis is so similar to her own name, Anastasia? She wanted him to know his roots, but couldn't name him Nicholas or anything else too obvious, in case the Bolsheviks would track him down.

There is also the fact that we actually get to see Ennis' father in the movie, but not his mother. That is Ang's subtle hint that her lineage is non-existing, i.e. killed just like Earl.

Also, when Ennis tells Jack about how his parents were killed in "one curve in the road in 42 miles", it's a reference to the Russian Revolution that was like a curve in the road of the glorious era of the Imperial Russia.

Finally, the DE, when Ennis tells Jack that he's sleeping on his feet like a horse, like his mama used to say. We know that Anastasia loved horses, so what would be more natural to her than using a horse analogy when talking with her son?  And when I listen closely to Ennis when he hums his childhood tune into Jack's ear, I'm quite sure I can hear a certain Russian minor melancholy in his voice.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
Re: New revelations about our beloved movie!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »

Ennis' mother

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:13:11 pm »
Insight number two:

Bobby will surely become an anorectic vegan as he grows up.

It's obvious when you see how hard it is to get him to eat in the first place,
and when he finally does eat, it's not the turkey his mama cooked, but instead some undefinable soup.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:03 pm »
Insight nubmer three:

LD Newsome is the result of a NASA experiment of cross breeding humans with various animals.
They tried breeding a woman with a male crab, and the result was LD.
The proof is that he walks sideways. Why else would he do that?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 01:25:18 pm »
So last night, I watched Brokeback Mountain again.

I had not see it in its entirety in several years, maybe 4. Have seen plenty of youtube videos, they never seem to end. I was surprised by how I still could anticipate everything that came next. What really stuck out for me was the unprobably dialogue. The first time I saw it I remember Jack saying "Asphyxiated" didn't seem to fit. The acting seems spot on, much of the dialogue seems to but they just don't seem to meet together sometimes. Not that it matters.

Something I think I was aware of but never verbalized was seeing how whent hey were apart they were being shown in parallel lives. Both dancing with women they didn't want to be dancing with,  both having confrontations at Thanksgiving.

This was the first time since the opera I have seen the "Jack, I swear". Witht he added bit from Annie Proulx to flesh out what he meant, it continued right on for me "it was always you..."

Still a great movie, still a touchstone in my life. I have lived to see it change things. I sincerely believe that we have same sex marriage in a majority of the United States now because peoples minds were opened in part to this movie.

And it shall be like this, always.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 04:15:07 pm »
What beautiful insights! (except for the one about LD, that is bizarre!) I also watched the movie again recently to celebrate the advent of marriage equality in Wyoming.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 04:26:41 pm »
I agree, Lee!

That NASA experiment was very bizarre!   ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 09:24:59 am »
Still a great movie, still a touchstone in my life. I have lived to see it change things. I sincerely believe that we have same sex marriage in a majority of the United States now because peoples minds were opened in part to this movie.

And it shall be like this, always.

:)  :-*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 01:00:31 pm »
Just found this online, not sure if it's been posted anywhere on the forum before.

It's a thesis called The Social Impact of "Brokeback Mountain:" A Reception Study

It may be a long read, but thought there may be some interest.  When the page opens, click "View".

https://scholarship.miami.edu/esploro/outputs/graduate/The-Social-Impact-of-Brokeback-Mountain/991031447763302976

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 04:18:33 pm »
HA! I had totally forgotten about those revelations I had on the 1st of April 8 years ago!  ;D

Thanks for bumping, Chuck!

And the thesis looks interesting too.