Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara

(1/26) > >>

Jeff Wrangler:
Kind of surprises me.  ???

Anyway, I was thinking about this today because my dad and I had our own Easter dinner today, no feasting with the cousins as for various reasons it wasn't convenient today. We had ham, which my dad cleverly put in his slow-cooker before we left for early church, so by noon it was ready to eat. We had baked potatoes and mixed vegetables and bread-and-butter, and two desserts, strawberries in milk, and cookies.

Ham is the traditional Easter dinner where I come from. It's not just my family; it seems to be a common Pennsylvania German tradition. Today I got to wondering whether the ancestors developed that tradition in the New World or brought it with them from the Fatherland. And why ham? I'm aware that some people have lamb, and in its own way, lamb makes more sense to me than ham. If there is a practical reason for ham, rather than lamb, it's escaping me now.

I'm wondering, too, if there isn't possibly a darker reason for ham. Easter frequently occurs about the same time as Passover, and eating pig meat in Passover season would certainly separate one from the Jews.  :-\

Front-Ranger:
The reason is because this forum (The Holiday Forum) was typically archived in January and then brought out again in November. But recently it's been available year-round. You're welcome to start a thread and, to quote the jolly pastor, "If you don't, I will!"

Jeff Wrangler:

--- Quote from: Front-Ranger on April 20, 2014, 08:42:04 pm ---You're welcome to start a thread and, to quote the jolly pastor, "If you don't, I will!"

--- End quote ---

Uh, well, I think I just did. ...

Penthesilea:

--- Quote from: Jeff Wrangler on April 20, 2014, 10:18:54 pm ---Uh, well, I think I just did. ...

--- End quote ---

Yes, you did, and it's a good idea!

Since it's Easter Monday and thus a public holiday over here, Easter is not over yet. And Passover is also still on. So:

Happy Spring Festivities to all BetterMostians!

Penthesilea:
I've never heard about ham being traditional on Easter, Jeff. Which of course doesn't mean that it's not typical in other parts of Germany.
To be honest, there is no typical Easter-dish that I know of. Maybe lamb-roast or roast hare would count as such. In general, a roast of any kind of meat is often made on Easter.
Culinary-wise more traditional is Good Friday. On Good Friday you eat fish, period.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version