Author Topic: All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara  (Read 71067 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: We've never had a thread about Easter dinner, or Passover, or Ostara
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:35:49 am »
I'm not surprised to hear of the fish traditions on Good Friday, because it's supposed to be a fast day (fish = fast). Anglicans (American = Episcopalians) are supposed to keep it as a fast day, too. I've never seen a calendar of fast days in an American Lutheran service book. Perhaps ancient anti-Roman Catholic prejudice has led American Lutherans to make a point of avoiding eating fish on any Friday.  ::)

Maybe the early Pennsylvania Germans were just too cheap thrifty to kill and eat a spring lamb that could be kept and raised for wool, or sold for cash, to someone else.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »
Oh. Even with the make-up, this young fella is cute!  :D

;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »
In my Catholic household, back in the 60s and 70s, I recall that Good Friday and Ash Wednesday were "fast" days.  Which meant one meatless meal.  If you were able bodied, you were supposed to actually fast during the day (water was allowed) until dinner.  "Meatless" at my house meant either fish sticks or mac'n'cheese.  My mother wouldn't allow fresh fish in the house.  Ever.

As for Easter dinner, no one liked ham or lamb, so we just had turkey.  Our Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinners were all the same. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:47:26 pm »
I remember the first seder I was invited to, in the 80s.  Definitely a reform service, with very short prayers.  I particularly liked the commentary offered by my hosts to make Passover relevant:  we were asked to think of what we might be "enslaved" by in the present day. 

As for food, I could deal with the parsley and the brisket.  But they had fresh horseradish (the "bitter herbs" or "chazeret") from their garden that was wicked hot!  But, for me, eating a hard-boiled egg was a huge sacrifice.  Lotsa salt!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »
As for me now, I prefer celebrating the miracle of Spring with the old Unitarian joke:  "All the tulips have risen today.  Alleluia."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 01:22:14 pm »
In my Catholic household, back in the 60s and 70s, I recall that Good Friday and Ash Wednesday were "fast" days.  Which meant one meatless meal.  If you were able bodied, you were supposed to actually fast during the day (water was allowed) until dinner.  "Meatless" at my house meant either fish sticks or mac'n'cheese.  My mother wouldn't allow fresh fish in the house.  Ever.

Another friend who was raised Roman Catholic once told me that fish sticks and mac 'n' cheese was a classic Catholic Friday dinner.

I'd go along with your mother on the fresh fish. The only way my mother knew how to prepare fresh fish was to fry it, and the smell of frying fish nauseates me to this day.

As for Easter dinner, no one liked ham or lamb, so we just had turkey.  Our Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinners were all the same. 

I don't get it. You've got Irish blood in you and nobody liked ham? I thought love of pig meat was one thing the Irish had in common with the Germans.  ???  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »
I remember the first seder I was invited to, in the 80s.  Definitely a reform service, with very short prayers.  I particularly liked the commentary offered by my hosts to make Passover relevant:  we were asked to think of what we might be "enslaved" by in the present day.

Neat thought. 

As for food, I could deal with the parsley and the brisket.  But they had fresh horseradish (the "bitter herbs" or "chazeret") from their garden that was wicked hot!  But, for me, eating a hard-boiled egg was a huge sacrifice.  Lotsa salt!

That's the only way to eat a hard-boiled egg.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 03:23:07 pm »
Another friend who was raised Roman Catholic once told me that fish sticks and mac 'n' cheese was a classic Catholic Friday dinner.

In my house it was a cheese pizza.  lol

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »
Adding to the few that have ham on Easter Sunday.  And large amounts of chocolate.  מציק
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »

[/center]
[/quote]

Him on a bromstick with the coffeepot in front and that beautiful cat on the back!!  :o :o :o Oh, dear Jesus.....
Ennis.....always Ennis.....