Author Topic: Out In The Dark  (Read 13178 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Out In The Dark
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:48:06 am »
Hey Vincent,
Please don't let our disagreement about HH keep you from posting about other movies.  I respect everyone's opinion, I hope I didn't come across too harshly; I was just saying what I thought, I certainly didn't mean to make it sound as if my opinion was "right".  Art is in the eye.........

Have you seen Pit Stop?  and there's another one that I'm debating to watch or not, "In the Name Of".  Only 10 reviews on Amazon, but they're all good.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 12:02:33 pm »
Hey Vincent,
Please don't let our disagreement about HH keep you from posting about other movies.  I respect everyone's opinion, I hope I didn't come across too harshly; I was just saying what I thought, I certainly didn't mean to make it sound as if my opinion was "right".  Art is in the eye.........
Have you seen Pit Stop?  and there's another one that I'm debating to watch or not, "In the Name Of".  Only 10 reviews on Amazon, but they're all good.

No sweat at all!  I feel similar about HH as you do about FF but yes, FF is a much better film. The karma in HH that deeply resonates with me - I forgave the weaknesses.  

I enjoyed "Pit Stop" very much too!  Hits close to home - in the small town setting.  Everyone knows everyone and the struggle to be "normal" and gay with other "normal family" relationships in play is more difficult.   The opportunities to meet "like minded" people are rare and relationships difficult to sustain.   The film captures that dichotomy - live a "normal" life - but always in the shadows and always alone - always wanting to escape but yet dedicated.   Being set in the "live and let live" TX, it also supports the film's premise - two blue collar guys, no lawyers, no doctors, no high profile careers, just struggling to live and find some level of self happiness and to have some meaning tin their lives.

The actors, setting and location are great - no major potholes.

The film moves slowly - that's the most common thread.  

For those not living in smaller rural US towns, there is often no escape and one plays the parts as expected.   One does as expected by the community. Take care of the family.  Maintain a job, pay the bills, honor your commitments.    There's life and love in here.. and if patient, this may be a good play - good film.  Brokie's will probably enjoy it.  Cheers, V.  
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 03:15:34 pm »
So no hard feelings, I'm glad.   :)

You said the karma in HH resonated with you; that's why I made the "disclaimer" that I've never been a gay man, etc.  You can relate to it on a totally different level than I can.  Any time something in art touches you on a personal level, and you can relate it to your own past, it makes such a personal impact.  

Brokeback, well, that was a unique thing, wasn't it?  As a straight woman, I can relate to the feelings and the heartbreak, but I know you probably feel it even deeper.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 01:30:32 pm »
I'm sorry, I must have missed your posting. .. just saw it now.  I'll PM since it is off topic.

How do you hide when you are running from yourself?