Author Topic: What? Tennis is culture  (Read 14851 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
What? Tennis is culture
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:38:21 pm »
OK, preface this with saying that I don't really follow tennis, don't know the rules, but I've been following 2 majors for a while, Roland Garros and Wimbledon........so is anyone following Roger?  He (his wife, that is) just had another set of twins, and is on to a better 2014

I like Rafa, too, but Roger's #1

Answer to the question below: Yes.

French Open 2014: Can Roger Federer Challenge Rafael Nadal And Novak Djokovic At Roland Garros?

This year has seen the most unpredictable clay-court seasons in recent times. The “King of Clay” Rafael Nadal has lost in quarterfinals of two tournaments he has previously dominated, Novak Djokovic has been hampered by a wrist injury, while the likes of Kei Nishikori and Stan Wawrinka have emerged as credible threats at the business end of tournaments. Can Roger Federer, looking for an 18th Grand Slam title, take advantage to get in the running for a second French Open crown?

After a dismal 2013, this year has seen Federer, with new racquet in hand, return to prominence and end constant speculation over both when the 32-year-old will retire and when he should. After slipping to eighth in the rankings early in the year, Federer is now back up to fourth following a run to the semifinals of the Australian Open and to the final at the Masters Series in Indian Wells.

http://www.ibtimes.com/french-open-2014-can-roger-federer-challenge-rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic-roland-garros-1587246
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

Re: What? Tennis is culture
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:41:54 pm »
Amazing...............and in a suit..........

Incredible Imaginary Roger Federer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47zjK3aLjE

Offline morrobay

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:48 pm »
Roger Federer - Top 10 ridiculous Improvisations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Ss1TgmA8I

Offline morrobay

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:16:46 pm »
It's more Roger..............

"Don't laugh"
"No, I won't, don't worry"

But they DO laugh - very funny!

Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal can't stop laughing at the tv spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJV-mF6chSg

Offline morrobay

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
Hysterical!!!   interview w/CNN........he can't keep a straight face.  At.  All.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_dOoUXgLE

Offline morrobay

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:59:58 am »
Good start

Roger Federer (SUI) [4]
def.
Lukas Lacko (SVK)

PARIS -- With his twin daughters watching from the stands, Roger Federer moved into the second round of the French Open after a 6-2, 6-4, 6-2 win over Lukas Lacko on Sunday.

Federer has played in only two clay-court tournaments this season. He reached the final in Monte Carlo but missed the Madrid tournament when his second set of twins, boys Leo and Lenny, was born.

His first match after their birth was a loss in Rome.

On Sunday, with the clay court hard and damp due to days of rain and overcast skies, the fourth-seeded Federer was back to himself, winning five of his 11 break points.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:22:21 am »
Nadal demolishes Ginepri on ''great'' Suzanne Lenglen Court

Offline morrobay

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »
Sad

Caroline Wozniacki falls at French

PARIS -- About a week after her engagement to two-time major golf champion Rory McIlroy was called off, Caroline Wozniacki exited the French Open in the first round.

The 13th-seeded Wozniacki, a former No. 1 and the runner-up at the 2009 U.S. Open, lost 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-2 on Tuesday to 64th-ranked Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium. It's the first time Denmark's Wozniacki was beaten in her opener at Roland Garros since 2007, her debut at the clay-court Grand Slam tournament.

"I don't really want to talk about my personal life. I hope that you all can understand that," she began, putting her left hand to her chest. "The only thing I really have to say is that, you know, [I want to] thank everybody for their support and sweet messages."

She continued, shrugging her shoulders: "What happens in my personal life, I just want to really keep that between my closest people around me. You know, I just have to move on."

Last week, McIlroy was close to tears while telling reporters that he and Wozniacki decided to split only days after sending out wedding invitations. They began dating in 2011 and were engaged this past New Year's Eve.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/caroline-wozniacki-french-open-rory-mcilroy-lost-shock-breakup

Offline morrobay

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:50 am »
Defending champion Williams sent packing

Wednesday, May 28, 2014
By Dan Imhoff
Serena Williams has ensured Roland Garros is without its top two seeds in only the second round with the defending champion crashing out in a straight-sets boilover to Spaniard Garbine Muguruza under heavy clouds on Court Suzanne Lenglen.

The world No.1 could not find rhythm on her usually dominant serve, winning just 55 per cent of first serve points and a mere 27 per cent on the second delivery in the 6-2, 6-2 defeat, throwing the top quarter of the women’s draw wide open and marking the first time in the Open Era the top two seeds in the women's singles have not reached the third round of a Grand Slam event.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:32:02 am »
FEDERER BEATS SCHWARTZMAN 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 TO REACH THIRD ROUND

Roger Federer restored order with his 60th victory at the French Open to reach the third round.

When Federer and Argentina's Diego Sebastian Schwartzman took to Court Suzanne Lenglen, the crowd were still reeling from Serena Williams' shock exit at the hands of Garbine Muguruza.

Coupled with Federer's countryman Stan Wawrinka and his fellow Australian Open champion Li Na both losing in the first round, there was no doubt the tennis world had been rocked significantly off its axis.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 01:04:01 pm »
Maria Sharapova emerges as new favourite for French Open crown following Serena Williams' shock second-round exit

Published: 13:45 EST, 28 May 2014  | Updated: 15:12 EST, 28 May 2014

Maria Sharapova assumed the mantle of French Open favourite and moved into the third round with victory over Tsvetana Pironkova.

Serena Williams' shock exit earlier on Wednesday has opened the door for Sharapova, who had been due to face a player she has not beaten for 10 years in the quarter-finals.

Although Sharapova is only the seventh seed, she has been the strongest player besides Williams on clay over the last three years, winning the Roland Garros title in 2012 and losing to Williams in the final last year.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 01:07:59 pm »
French Open: Rafael Nadal advances to the third round

Thu May 29 2014

PARIS—Eight-time champion Rafael Nadal advanced to the third round of the French Open on Thursday with a 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 win against Dominic Thiem of Austria.

Although the top-seeded Spaniard broke Thiem’s serve seven times overall, the Austrian’s heavy groundstrokes also caused Nadal problems and he lost his own serve twice.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 01:21:32 pm »
Love Gael Monfils!  Fierce tennis player.

Can't see this EVER happening at stuffy old wimbledon -

Dance battle between Monfils and Lokoli at Roland Garros

Gaël Monfils and Laurent Lokoli had the crowds on their feet on the eve of this year's French Open when the Frenchmen went toe-to-toe in a good old school – sans lino – 'dance off'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO3IQtW8Dlc

Offline morrobay

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 01:28:48 pm »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 09:29:43 am »
I told you he was fierce!

After the match, Monfils smiled when asked about the shot.

“I think it was 5 of 10. Could be better. Between you and me, I’m not stupid. Because when you dive it’s ground on the floor. I’m not Iron Man, you know.”

Offline morrobay

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 09:33:41 am »
Gaël Monfils' crazy dive shot at Roland Garros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbJfgPVThE

Offline morrobay

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:28 pm »
Novak Djokovic & Roger Federer through at French Open

Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer both had to work hard for their wins in the third round of the French Open.

Second seed Djokovic dropped a set against Marin Cilic for only the third time in nine meetings, but came away with a 6-3 6-2 6-7 (7-2) 6-4 win.

Fourth seed Federer, whose only Paris title came in 2009, beat Dmitry Tursunov 7-5 6-7 (9-7) 6-2 6-4.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 03:29:35 pm »
Love these pictures!  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline morrobay

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 01:02:03 pm »
Rafael Nadal reaches fourth round

PARIS -- For the second time in his unparalleled French Open career, Rafael Nadal owns a 31-match winning streak at the clay-court Grand Slam tournament.

Now he'll try to get to 32 for the first time.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 01:22:42 pm »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 09:12:59 am »
Again US TV isn't showing the early rounds, even though Roger is playing.  Have to hope he beats Gulbis, most especially after his insipid comments, see below.

Ernests Gulbis Makes Controversial Statements About Female Tennis Players

By Mike Chiari , Featured Columnist
May 30, 2014

Ernests Gulbis is arguably playing the best tennis of his career after reaching the fourth round of the 2014 French Open with a 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 win over Radek Stepanek. But he's making headlines for his off-court comments.

According to Mike Dawes of the Daily Mail, Gulbis balked at the idea of his sisters possibly following in his footsteps and becoming professional tennis players. The No. 17-ranked Latvian star then controversially explained his reasoning.

“Hopefully they will not pursue professional tennis careers. Hopefully. Because for a woman, it's tough. ... I wouldn't like my sisters to become professional tennis players. It's a tough choice of life. A woman needs to enjoy life a little bit more. Needs to think about family, needs to think about kids.”

Only Gulbis knows the true meaning behind his words, but his comments have inevitably been perceived by some as sexist in nature.  YA THINK??

A deluge of responses flooded Twitter in the wake of the interview, and opinions certainly varied.

Hannah Wilks of Live Tennis went the sarcastic route by taking a shot at the volatility that has plagued Gulbis over the course of his up-and-down career:

Hannah Wilks   @newballsplease  

To be fair, what woman could muster the kind of single-minded focus and intensity with which Gulbis has approached his tennis career?
8:02 AM - 30 May 2014
66 Retweets   87 favorites    Reply

Offline morrobay

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 01:45:34 pm »
Roger's out -  Wimbledon is next.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 10:30:26 am »
French Open 2014: Schedule and Bracket Predictions for Day 11 at Roland Garros

Given the shocking number of early upsets at Roland Garros, the remaining top seeds at the 2014 French Open will look to restore order to what has been a crazy tournament thus far.

The tournament itself is beginning to wind down. There are just five days remaining of the 15-day tournament, and the pressure is mounting for those competitors looking to win a Grand Slam.

Day 11 is sure to be a big day in Paris. The quarterfinals are in full swing, and the matchups on Day 11 are sure to deliver exciting results.

2014 French Open Day 11 Schedule

Court Philippe Chatrier - 2 p.m. CEST (8 a.m. ET)   

Women's Quarterfinals
Sara Errani vs. Andrea Petkovic  - Predicted Winner Errani

Men's Quarterfinals
Gael Monfils vs. Andy Murray - Predicted Winner Murray

Court Suzanne Lenglen - 2 p.m. CEST (8 a.m. ET)   

Women's Quarterfinals
Svetlana Kuznetsova vs. Simona Halep Predicted Winner - Halep

Men's Quarterfinals
Rafael Nadal vs. David Ferrer - Predicted Winner Nadal

Offline morrobay

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 10:33:31 am »
Since Roger's out, the best match-up on Sunday would be Rafa vs. Djokovic.

No. 2 seed Novak Djokovic received a spirited challenge from No. 8 Milos Raonic in a 2014 French Open quarterfinal match Tuesday, but the spectacular Serb's big-match experience shined through in a 7-5, 7-6(5), 6-4 victory.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 11:57:13 am »
Monfils is up today, I hope he kicks Andy Murray's ASS.

French Open 2014: Can Anyone Prevent a Rafael Nadal vs. Novak Djokovic Final?

There have been many upsets in the first 10 days of the French Open, but despite all of that carnage, the two favorites for the men's title are still standing. Is there anyone left who could stop Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic?

Well, the other four men remaining in the single's draw would like to think so.

Djokovic played his quarterfinal match on Tuesday, and the Serbian took out the tricky Canadian Milos Raonic 7-5, 7-6, 6-4. Now Djokovic, who is looking for his first French Open title, will face No. 18 Ernests Gulbis in the semifinals on Friday.

The top half of the draw will play its quarterfinal matches on Wednesday. Nadal will face off against his opponent in last year's final, No. 5 David Ferrer, while No. 7 Andy Murray and No. 23 Gael Monfils will battle for the the final semifinal spot.

So it's up to Gulbis, Ferrer, Murray or Monfils to get in the way of Nadal and Djokovic's 42nd meeting, their sixth at Roland Garros.

While some are certainly rooting for a chance to see a new face in the French Open final, many would hate to be denied another Nadal-Djokovic epic.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2084606-french-open-2014-can-anyone-prevent-a-rafael-nadal-vs-novak-djokovic-final

Offline morrobay

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:14 pm »
Rafa made it through, beating David Ferrer.

And Monfils is STUNNING Murray, forcing a continuation of play at 9:20pm.

Rats!  Murray came back to beat Monfils. 

Offline morrobay

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 06:10:44 pm »
Big day tomorrow

Ernests Gulbis (LAT) [18]vs. Novak Djokovic (SRB) [2]

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [1]vs. Andy Murray (GBR) [7]

And Saturday
Maria Sharapova will take on Simona Halep for the Coupe Suzanne Lenglen

Offline morrobay

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 09:55:38 am »
Novak Djokovic made it to the final.  Rafa plays Murray later today.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 12:58:52 pm »
It's Rafa vs Djokovic on Sunday, will be a great match.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 09:01:12 am »
Sunday, June 8, 2014
Photo By: FFT
Maria Sharapova, one day after winning her second French Open title.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:25 am »
Great match today.

Saturday, June 7, 2014
By Alexandre Juillard

Rafael Nadal is poised to take home his ninth French Open title. And while the Spaniard continues to break records, his coach and uncle, Toni Nadal, is not convinced that Rafa is the favourite going into the final against Novak Djokovic.

Rafael Nadal is a man with doubts that never go away. For him, each match is a battle he could win – or lose. He likes to think like someone who has to prove himself in order to win. It matters not that he has bested his own record of straight wins during this year’s French Open (34) and that he is one match and one win away from his ninth title here in Paris.

For both Nadal and his uncle, there is no doubt that the favourite this year is Novak Djokovic. “It’s because he’s very, very strong,” says Toni Nadal. “We would have preferred to have someone else in the final. I can’t even remember the last time Rafa beat him.”

The last time was at the US Open in 2013. Since then, Rafa has lost four matches, three on hard courts and the Rome final on clay. In Toni’s opinion, “Rafa will have to play at least as well as he did against Murray in the semi-final [to win]. He just about played a perfect match – it was one of his best at Roland Garros.” Team Rafa and Toni are certainly not expecting a walkover.

Nadal has got stronger this season, which is always a good thing. “He’s been training very, very well,” says Toni. “His practices are excellent, he’s hitting the ball well and I think he’s been playing well since the start of the tournament. But a final is a final, and it will be that much more difficult against Novak Djokovic.”

Rafa and Toni say that they are not concerned with titles, records and history right now. However, Djokovic is still looking to take home a French Open title, the only Grand Slam missing from his trophy cabinet. “That’s why Novak will definitely be turning up the heat,” Toni concludes. “Because in the end, he’s the one who has more to lose.”

Offline morrobay

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 09:07:19 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 01:16:26 pm »
Rafael Nadal triumphs over Novak Djokovic to win record ninth French Open title

On to Wimbledon

Offline morrobay

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 09:49:46 am »
Wimbledon got underway today....I've never been a fan of Andy Murray but he scored big, huge points with me for this...........

Wimbledon 2014: Andy Murray rescues dog on way to practice

Andy Murray is famed for his ability to chase down seemingly-unreturnable balls on the tennis court.

But now the reigning Wimbledon champion has been spotted in hot pursuit of a rather more unusual target - a runaway dog.

In an unscheduled break from preparations for his title defence, the tennis star stopped traffic en route to the All England Club to chase the labradoodle - a cross between a labrador and a poodle, as it bounded down the road.

Murray, a dog lover who owns two border terriers, managed to grab the dog by the collar and get it to safety in the back of his car - where it "drooled everywhere" - before successfully returning it to its unsuspecting owners.

Writing on his blog, the 27-year-old told how he was driving to practice from his home in Surrey when he spotted the dog "running towards the oncoming traffic".

the rest here....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10918205/Wimbledon-2014-Andy-Murray-rescues-dog-on-way-to-practice.html

Offline morrobay

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 05:43:43 pm »
Two HUGE upsets at Wimbledon today

Nick Kyrgios stuns Wimbledon with win over Rafael Nadal

Maria Sharapova loses to Angelique Kerber at Wimbledon

Offline morrobay

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 11:38:00 am »
Another upset @ Wimbledon

Andy Murray crashed out of Wimbledon on Wednesday falling to Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.

Some might say that the Briton had it easy on his way to the quarter-finals, as he has hardly broke a sweat whilst winning every single set of his competition so far.

But it was a whole different story when he ran into the powerful 23-year-old, one of the game's most promising young stars.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »
Roger is through the quarterfinals, thank God......

Offline morrobay

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 01:30:57 pm »
Great match on Sunday, Wimbledon 2014: Federer, Djokovic.

They're both first class, but I hope Roger takes it.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:05 pm »
Roger was defeated a thrilling final in Wimbledon today. He lost 7-6(7), 4-6, 6-7(4), 7-5, 4-6 against Novak Djokovic.

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/esp/news-detail/news/4822-roger-unterliegt-in-fuenf-saetzen.html

Wimbledon final: Novak Djokovic beats Federer for 2nd title