Author Topic: What? Tennis is culture  (Read 14720 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
What? Tennis is culture
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:38:21 pm »
OK, preface this with saying that I don't really follow tennis, don't know the rules, but I've been following 2 majors for a while, Roland Garros and Wimbledon........so is anyone following Roger?  He (his wife, that is) just had another set of twins, and is on to a better 2014

I like Rafa, too, but Roger's #1

Answer to the question below: Yes.

French Open 2014: Can Roger Federer Challenge Rafael Nadal And Novak Djokovic At Roland Garros?

This year has seen the most unpredictable clay-court seasons in recent times. The “King of Clay” Rafael Nadal has lost in quarterfinals of two tournaments he has previously dominated, Novak Djokovic has been hampered by a wrist injury, while the likes of Kei Nishikori and Stan Wawrinka have emerged as credible threats at the business end of tournaments. Can Roger Federer, looking for an 18th Grand Slam title, take advantage to get in the running for a second French Open crown?

After a dismal 2013, this year has seen Federer, with new racquet in hand, return to prominence and end constant speculation over both when the 32-year-old will retire and when he should. After slipping to eighth in the rankings early in the year, Federer is now back up to fourth following a run to the semifinals of the Australian Open and to the final at the Masters Series in Indian Wells.

http://www.ibtimes.com/french-open-2014-can-roger-federer-challenge-rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic-roland-garros-1587246
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

Re: What? Tennis is culture
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:41:54 pm »
Amazing...............and in a suit..........

Incredible Imaginary Roger Federer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47zjK3aLjE

Offline morrobay

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:48 pm »
Roger Federer - Top 10 ridiculous Improvisations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Ss1TgmA8I

Offline morrobay

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:16:46 pm »
It's more Roger..............

"Don't laugh"
"No, I won't, don't worry"

But they DO laugh - very funny!

Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal can't stop laughing at the tv spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJV-mF6chSg

Offline morrobay

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
Hysterical!!!   interview w/CNN........he can't keep a straight face.  At.  All.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_dOoUXgLE

Offline morrobay

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:59:58 am »
Good start

Roger Federer (SUI) [4]
def.
Lukas Lacko (SVK)

PARIS -- With his twin daughters watching from the stands, Roger Federer moved into the second round of the French Open after a 6-2, 6-4, 6-2 win over Lukas Lacko on Sunday.

Federer has played in only two clay-court tournaments this season. He reached the final in Monte Carlo but missed the Madrid tournament when his second set of twins, boys Leo and Lenny, was born.

His first match after their birth was a loss in Rome.

On Sunday, with the clay court hard and damp due to days of rain and overcast skies, the fourth-seeded Federer was back to himself, winning five of his 11 break points.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:22:21 am »
Nadal demolishes Ginepri on ''great'' Suzanne Lenglen Court

Offline morrobay

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »
Sad

Caroline Wozniacki falls at French

PARIS -- About a week after her engagement to two-time major golf champion Rory McIlroy was called off, Caroline Wozniacki exited the French Open in the first round.

The 13th-seeded Wozniacki, a former No. 1 and the runner-up at the 2009 U.S. Open, lost 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-2 on Tuesday to 64th-ranked Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium. It's the first time Denmark's Wozniacki was beaten in her opener at Roland Garros since 2007, her debut at the clay-court Grand Slam tournament.

"I don't really want to talk about my personal life. I hope that you all can understand that," she began, putting her left hand to her chest. "The only thing I really have to say is that, you know, [I want to] thank everybody for their support and sweet messages."

She continued, shrugging her shoulders: "What happens in my personal life, I just want to really keep that between my closest people around me. You know, I just have to move on."

Last week, McIlroy was close to tears while telling reporters that he and Wozniacki decided to split only days after sending out wedding invitations. They began dating in 2011 and were engaged this past New Year's Eve.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/caroline-wozniacki-french-open-rory-mcilroy-lost-shock-breakup

Offline morrobay

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:50 am »
Defending champion Williams sent packing

Wednesday, May 28, 2014
By Dan Imhoff
Serena Williams has ensured Roland Garros is without its top two seeds in only the second round with the defending champion crashing out in a straight-sets boilover to Spaniard Garbine Muguruza under heavy clouds on Court Suzanne Lenglen.

The world No.1 could not find rhythm on her usually dominant serve, winning just 55 per cent of first serve points and a mere 27 per cent on the second delivery in the 6-2, 6-2 defeat, throwing the top quarter of the women’s draw wide open and marking the first time in the Open Era the top two seeds in the women's singles have not reached the third round of a Grand Slam event.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:32:02 am »
FEDERER BEATS SCHWARTZMAN 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 TO REACH THIRD ROUND

Roger Federer restored order with his 60th victory at the French Open to reach the third round.

When Federer and Argentina's Diego Sebastian Schwartzman took to Court Suzanne Lenglen, the crowd were still reeling from Serena Williams' shock exit at the hands of Garbine Muguruza.

Coupled with Federer's countryman Stan Wawrinka and his fellow Australian Open champion Li Na both losing in the first round, there was no doubt the tennis world had been rocked significantly off its axis.