Author Topic: What? Tennis is culture  (Read 14718 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What? Tennis is culture
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:25 am »
Great match today.

Saturday, June 7, 2014
By Alexandre Juillard

Rafael Nadal is poised to take home his ninth French Open title. And while the Spaniard continues to break records, his coach and uncle, Toni Nadal, is not convinced that Rafa is the favourite going into the final against Novak Djokovic.

Rafael Nadal is a man with doubts that never go away. For him, each match is a battle he could win – or lose. He likes to think like someone who has to prove himself in order to win. It matters not that he has bested his own record of straight wins during this year’s French Open (34) and that he is one match and one win away from his ninth title here in Paris.

For both Nadal and his uncle, there is no doubt that the favourite this year is Novak Djokovic. “It’s because he’s very, very strong,” says Toni Nadal. “We would have preferred to have someone else in the final. I can’t even remember the last time Rafa beat him.”

The last time was at the US Open in 2013. Since then, Rafa has lost four matches, three on hard courts and the Rome final on clay. In Toni’s opinion, “Rafa will have to play at least as well as he did against Murray in the semi-final [to win]. He just about played a perfect match – it was one of his best at Roland Garros.” Team Rafa and Toni are certainly not expecting a walkover.

Nadal has got stronger this season, which is always a good thing. “He’s been training very, very well,” says Toni. “His practices are excellent, he’s hitting the ball well and I think he’s been playing well since the start of the tournament. But a final is a final, and it will be that much more difficult against Novak Djokovic.”

Rafa and Toni say that they are not concerned with titles, records and history right now. However, Djokovic is still looking to take home a French Open title, the only Grand Slam missing from his trophy cabinet. “That’s why Novak will definitely be turning up the heat,” Toni concludes. “Because in the end, he’s the one who has more to lose.”

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 09:07:19 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 01:16:26 pm »
Rafael Nadal triumphs over Novak Djokovic to win record ninth French Open title

On to Wimbledon

Offline morrobay

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 09:49:46 am »
Wimbledon got underway today....I've never been a fan of Andy Murray but he scored big, huge points with me for this...........

Wimbledon 2014: Andy Murray rescues dog on way to practice

Andy Murray is famed for his ability to chase down seemingly-unreturnable balls on the tennis court.

But now the reigning Wimbledon champion has been spotted in hot pursuit of a rather more unusual target - a runaway dog.

In an unscheduled break from preparations for his title defence, the tennis star stopped traffic en route to the All England Club to chase the labradoodle - a cross between a labrador and a poodle, as it bounded down the road.

Murray, a dog lover who owns two border terriers, managed to grab the dog by the collar and get it to safety in the back of his car - where it "drooled everywhere" - before successfully returning it to its unsuspecting owners.

Writing on his blog, the 27-year-old told how he was driving to practice from his home in Surrey when he spotted the dog "running towards the oncoming traffic".

the rest here....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10918205/Wimbledon-2014-Andy-Murray-rescues-dog-on-way-to-practice.html

Offline morrobay

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 05:43:43 pm »
Two HUGE upsets at Wimbledon today

Nick Kyrgios stuns Wimbledon with win over Rafael Nadal

Maria Sharapova loses to Angelique Kerber at Wimbledon

Offline morrobay

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 11:38:00 am »
Another upset @ Wimbledon

Andy Murray crashed out of Wimbledon on Wednesday falling to Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.

Some might say that the Briton had it easy on his way to the quarter-finals, as he has hardly broke a sweat whilst winning every single set of his competition so far.

But it was a whole different story when he ran into the powerful 23-year-old, one of the game's most promising young stars.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »
Roger is through the quarterfinals, thank God......

Offline morrobay

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 01:30:57 pm »
Great match on Sunday, Wimbledon 2014: Federer, Djokovic.

They're both first class, but I hope Roger takes it.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:05 pm »
Roger was defeated a thrilling final in Wimbledon today. He lost 7-6(7), 4-6, 6-7(4), 7-5, 4-6 against Novak Djokovic.

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/esp/news-detail/news/4822-roger-unterliegt-in-fuenf-saetzen.html

Wimbledon final: Novak Djokovic beats Federer for 2nd title