Author Topic: "Boyhood" Richard Linklater's film 12 years in the making  (Read 11316 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"Boyhood" Richard Linklater's film 12 years in the making
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:09:29 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: "Boyhood" Richard Linklater's film 12 years in the making
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:01 pm »
Perhaps you've heard of this unusual film.  Richard Linklater is the guy who did "Dazed and Confused", and the "Before....Sunrise, Sunset and Midnight" films (the three "Before" films are separated by about 10 years with the same actors).  This one was shot annually with the same cast over a period of 12 years, so we see them age before our eyes.  No different actors playing different ages, no makeup effects.  

I'm reminded of the British "Up" series, the documentary that films the same group of people every 7 years, since they were 7 years old. 

I just got back from seeing this amazing film.  I'm still thinking about it.  

Do yourself a favor, and go see it.  See it without reading much about it.  See it without looking at photos; it pays not to be spoiled.  You want to see how they all turn out.  The little boy in the poster (who looks like he could be Scarlett Johansson's little brother) metamorphoses into a young man.  Yet, it's not just about "boyhood".  It's equally about parenthood, siblinghood, adulthood.  Apparently, the original title was "12 Years", but was changed to prevent any confusion with "12 Years a Slave".

The audience actually applauded at the end.  How often does that happen any more?  

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:31:50 am »
Thanks for the rec. Sounds really interesting. :)
Over here it started to run in theaters in June already and is about to taper out. Near me it plays only today and tomorrow, not the whole week. Maybe I can catch it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55:43 am »
Boyhood is on my radar and I'm currently watching Before Sunrise. I heard a good interview by Terry Gross with Richard Linklater.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:40:35 am »
Boyhood is on my radar and I'm currently watching Before Sunrise. I heard a good interview by Terry Gross with Richard Linklater.

I heard the Gross/Linklater interview too. I'm very curious about this movie.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:28 am »
I really enjoyed it.  I got invested in the characters and wish I could follow them for another 12 years.

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:28 pm »
This was on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday

CBS News/July 27, 2014, 10:23 AM

Filmmaker ​Richard Linklater on "Boyhood" and time

The film follows a boy, Mason (played by Ellar Coltrane) from age six to 18. He literally grows up before your very eyes.

His sister is played by Lorelei Linklater, the director's daughter; their divorced parents, by Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke.

What's remarkable about "Boyhood" is that it was shot over twelve years. Time (and how it changes people) is the subject.

"What Rick is doing with this movie has been done in literature a lot," said Hawke, "But it hasn't really been done in a movie, and you get the chance to really watch a family develop over the course of a decade, and it's a powerful tool."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/filmmaker-richard-linklater-on-boyhood-and-time/
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:39:19 pm »
sounds interesting.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 09:52:31 am »
I ABSOLUTELY loved this film!  I also recommend seeing it without reading a lot about it, but do pay attention to the changes in tempo, music, ... I went, having read only 1 or 2 reviews, which were glowing.  BUT after seeing the film in an 80 year old theater in Boston, it really caught me off guard as it hit damn close to home! The ending last couple of tunes are just perfectly set for the cinematography. 

The last film to have this effect on me was BBM.  Swift kick to the gut...

Even now 2+ weeks later, "Boyhood" still lingers in my head.  Just thinking about the last 15 minutes gives me chills, while even writing this.   

"Boyhood" is slowly slipping from theaters, so if you want to catch it on the big screen, best get a move on it.  It's worth the admission.

From Ebert's site -> http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/boyhood-2014

However, if you do miss it, then rent it.  Cheers, V.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:33:05 am by gattaca »
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:00:18 pm »
I finally watched this movie on the plane. A nine hour flight is a good time to watch an almost three hour movie.

I liked it; it was beautifully made and I loved that it was so very different from most other movies. It's calm, quasi the opposite from sensation-seeking and hyped up. A loving and realistic portrait of a boy, rather whole family, growing up, growing apart, growing together and ever changing.

My only beef with it is that it was a tad too long for my taste.

And I'm wondering whether I missed something towards the end at reading these comments:

Swift kick to the gut...
[...]
Just thinking about the last 15 minutes gives me chills, while even writing this.   

See it without reading much about it.  See it without looking at photos; it pays not to be spoiled

Did I miss something? Did they cut something out for the inflight version? Didn't I pay attention?
You could put a spoiler warning to your reply or PM me if preferred.